17 yo boy shot by police because he wasn't resisting arrest.

Yet you provide no evidence to back that point up.

It's common sense.

Ok tell us. You just got named director of the police academy. How will you make the training "better"?

Oh....remember....your recruits are a diverse cross section of American society.....not 100 very fit 18-22 year old male Marine recruits. It's 100 people of mixed gender and race and backgrounds, ages 21 through mid 40s....with workers comp laws in place in case they get hurt.

Oh....there's also lawyers waiting to sue, the DOJ threatening fines against you if you don't lower standards....AND the media waiting to expose "militarized" training if you get too harsh on them.

Now...please....inform us of this better training?

Well, I never claimed to be an expert, but IMO 6 weeks is certainly not a very long time, and perhaps police academy training time should be extended. At one time, 6 week course may have been sufficient, but not in today's day and age. There is ALWAYS room for improvement.

Police Chief Magazine - View Article

b.jpg

asic police recruit training has been an unsettled topic for many years in the United States. Historically, in many states, the issue has been to provide more training for recruits. Yet, in recent times, special interest groups have made their ways into academy curricula, due to the timeliness of their advocacies. Racial profiling, cultural diversity, mental health, and domestic violence are several of these areas. As a result of these training topics and other task-oriented subjects, some recruit training programs exceed 1,000 hours. That would mean that recruits are in a classroom for about half of their first year. This extended training commitment certainly is at odds with the desire of many agencies to deploy new officers expediently. Many agencies are wondering if there is a more efficient way to get their recruits the training they need.

20th-Century Police Training Model

Ever since the U.S. Congress passed the Safe Streets Act of 1968, which provided substantial federal assistance to local law enforcement agencies for training, basic recruit peace officer training has been a significant and ongoing issue across the country. Even before the passage of that act, John Sullivan, in his book Introduction to Police Science, published in 1966, observed,

While a physician may change his diagnosis or prescription, a lawyer may amend his pleadings, and a judge may take days or weeks to render a decision, when a peace officer makes a decision, it frequently must be instantaneous. Therefore, in order to cope with the many complex emergency duties and responsibilities that confront a peace officer in his/her role, the officer cannot depend entirely upon native ability. Instead he or she must be expertly trained to function effectively as an integral part of today’s modern mechanized police force.1

Page18CO.jpg
Almost a decade later, former U.S. attorney general Ramsey Clark also commented on the need for increased police competence by noting, “To be truly professional, police must have high standards of education and personal competence in a wide range of subjects with continuous development and training.”2

In 1973, the National Advisory Commission on Criminal Justice Standards and Goals strongly recommended that every state should require all sworn police employees to complete a minimum of 400 hours of basic training to enable all peace officers to perform their roles effectively.

Even a study prepared by the IACP in 1977 demonstrated that in the mid-1960s, the average police officer in the United States received less than 200 hours of formal training—whereas the 1973 National Advisory Commission reported that physicians received more than 11,000 hours; lawyers, more than 9,000 hours; teachers, more than 7,000 hours; embalmers, more than 5,000 hours; and barbers, more than 4,000 hours.

Yet, ironically, records and research clearly show that as late as 1967, police recruit basic training practices did not even exist for up to 32 percent of the law enforcement agencies within municipalities and counties with populations of greater than 10,000.3 For many agencies, recruit training was almost an afterthought.

For example, in 1975, with a degree in criminal justice administration, Gary Maddox became a police officer. Maddox, now director of the Law Enforcement Training Institute for the University of Missouri–Extension, says it never occurred to him at the time he was hired that it would be a year before he would receive any formal training for the job; then, when he did go to a training academy, it was only 320 hours—eight weeks’ worth. Yet from the time Maddox took his oath, he was expected to make informed, split-second decisions regarding such issues as use of force and constitutional law without a speck of training on which to rely.

By the early 1980s, basic training for peace officers in the United States had finally become mandated in every state. However, this training ranged from as little as 120 hours to as much as 1,000 hours or more, depending on each state’s respective statutes, police agencies, and academy directors. And much of that recruit training was seen as inadequate, because in many instances, the instruction bore little relationship to what was actually expected of peace officers. In the absence of any guidelines that truly related to an analysis of police experiences, instructors and trainers were left with only the formal definition of police authority and other vague, nebulous, and abstract concepts to communicate to peace officer trainees.4

These observations are not meant to discredit or belittle the usually well-intentioned and sincere efforts of police trainers and training administrators to provide job-relevant training at the time. It should be remembered that the role of police in contemporary society has never been clearly defined or universally adopted.

So you say they need better training....but have absolutely no clue what it should be. Got it.

She goes with a 20th century model in a 21st century world. This isn't 1967 or 1975. We're living in a completely different world now than we did back then.

So, what argument do you have against more police training?

As you can see by my links above, SOME communities are actually considering the "2 officers per car" idea. So suck it!
so I still don't know how that addresses this scenario. Please explain, because if it isn't for all patrol cars, then the probabilities still exist to run into this type of altercation. So, it would become a failed effort.

Well if you can't understand, I think you are probably beyond any help I can provide. :D Good luck with that.

You haven't shown that your "solution" would solve anything.

Of course it would. Like I said, two officers can more easily restrain a suspect. If there are two officers per car, then they have immediate backup. Now, which part of that statement do you disagree with and why?

What if there are two people in the car or three or four or more!

I disagree with your conclusions that two cops will in fact prevent people from doing stupid shit, like resisting arrest. You offer up nothing to back up your statements.

I never said it would stop people from doing stupid things. I said it would more than likely decrease officer shootings and suspect shootings by officers because they would have an extra set of hands, eyes and backup. Two officers can handle a suspect more easily than one.

Now, what is it about that statement that you disagree with and why?
your whole premise lacks fundamental business sense.

And you have yet to present any kind of logical response. SHouldn't you be in school?
No, I leave the schooling to my eight grand children. Thanks for asking. I'm not sure what it is you're expecting from me. There is no way to stop stupid. Unless of course you have the market on that.

It's common sense.

Ok tell us. You just got named director of the police academy. How will you make the training "better"?

Oh....remember....your recruits are a diverse cross section of American society.....not 100 very fit 18-22 year old male Marine recruits. It's 100 people of mixed gender and race and backgrounds, ages 21 through mid 40s....with workers comp laws in place in case they get hurt.

Oh....there's also lawyers waiting to sue, the DOJ threatening fines against you if you don't lower standards....AND the media waiting to expose "militarized" training if you get too harsh on them.

Well, I never claimed to be an expert, but IMO 6 weeks is certainly not a very long time, and perhaps police academy training time should be extended. At one time, 6 week course may have been sufficient, but not in today's day and age. There is ALWAYS room for improvement.

b.jpg

asic police recruit training has been an unsettled topic for many years in the United States. Historically, in many states, the issue has been to provide more training for recruits. Yet, in recent times, special interest groups have made their ways into academy curricula, due to the timeliness of their advocacies. Racial profiling, cultural diversity, mental health, and domestic violence are several of these areas. As a result of these training topics and other task-oriented subjects, some recruit training programs exceed 1,000 hours. That would mean that recruits are in a classroom for about half of their first year. This extended training commitment certainly is at odds with the desire of many agencies to deploy new officers expediently. Many agencies are wondering if there is a more efficient way to get their recruits the training they need.

Ever since the U.S. Congress passed the Safe Streets Act of 1968, which provided substantial federal assistance to local law enforcement agencies for training, basic recruit peace officer training has been a significant and ongoing issue across the country. Even before the passage of that act, John Sullivan, in his book Introduction to Police Science, published in 1966, observed,

While a physician may change his diagnosis or prescription, a lawyer may amend his pleadings, and a judge may take days or weeks to render a decision, when a peace officer makes a decision, it frequently must be instantaneous. Therefore, in order to cope with the many complex emergency duties and responsibilities that confront a peace officer in his/her role, the officer cannot depend entirely upon native ability. Instead he or she must be expertly trained to function effectively as an integral part of today’s modern mechanized police force.1

Page18CO.jpg
Almost a decade later, former U.S. attorney general Ramsey Clark also commented on the need for increased police competence by noting, “To be truly professional, police must have high standards of education and personal competence in a wide range of subjects with continuous development and training.”2

In 1973, the National Advisory Commission on Criminal Justice Standards and Goals strongly recommended that every state should require all sworn police employees to complete a minimum of 400 hours of basic training to enable all peace officers to perform their roles effectively.

Even a study prepared by the IACP in 1977 demonstrated that in the mid-1960s, the average police officer in the United States received less than 200 hours of formal training—whereas the 1973 National Advisory Commission reported that physicians received more than 11,000 hours; lawyers, more than 9,000 hours; teachers, more than 7,000 hours; embalmers, more than 5,000 hours; and barbers, more than 4,000 hours.

Yet, ironically, records and research clearly show that as late as 1967, police recruit basic training practices did not even exist for up to 32 percent of the law enforcement agencies within municipalities and counties with populations of greater than 10,000.3 For many agencies, recruit training was almost an afterthought.

For example, in 1975, with a degree in criminal justice administration, Gary Maddox became a police officer. Maddox, now director of the Law Enforcement Training Institute for the University of Missouri–Extension, says it never occurred to him at the time he was hired that it would be a year before he would receive any formal training for the job; then, when he did go to a training academy, it was only 320 hours—eight weeks’ worth. Yet from the time Maddox took his oath, he was expected to make informed, split-second decisions regarding such issues as use of force and constitutional law without a speck of training on which to rely.

By the early 1980s, basic training for peace officers in the United States had finally become mandated in every state. However, this training ranged from as little as 120 hours to as much as 1,000 hours or more, depending on each state’s respective statutes, police agencies, and academy directors. And much of that recruit training was seen as inadequate, because in many instances, the instruction bore little relationship to what was actually expected of peace officers. In the absence of any guidelines that truly related to an analysis of police experiences, instructors and trainers were left with only the formal definition of police authority and other vague, nebulous, and abstract concepts to communicate to peace officer trainees.4

These observations are not meant to discredit or belittle the usually well-intentioned and sincere efforts of police trainers and training administrators to provide job-relevant training at the time. It should be remembered that the role of police in contemporary society has never been clearly defined or universally adopted.

So you say they need better training....but have absolutely no clue what it should be. Got it.

She goes with a 20th century model in a 21st century world. This isn't 1967 or 1975. We're living in a completely different world now than we did back then.

More training or different training? None at all. The difference is....I know the topic very well and you do not. People who bash the cops had better be able to offer something other than just criticism.

You say they need different training....well....inform us. Otherwise let the professionals deal with it.

Of course it would. Like I said, two officers can more easily restrain a suspect. If there are two officers per car, then they have immediate backup. Now, which part of that statement do you disagree with and why?

What if there are two people in the car or three or four or more!

I disagree with your conclusions that two cops will in fact prevent people from doing stupid shit, like resisting arrest. You offer up nothing to back up your statements.

I never said it would stop people from doing stupid things. I said it would more than likely decrease officer shootings and suspect shootings by officers because they would have an extra set of hands, eyes and backup. Two officers can handle a suspect more easily than one.

Now, what is it about that statement that you disagree with and why?
your whole premise lacks fundamental business sense.

And you have yet to present any kind of logical response. SHouldn't you be in school?
No, I leave the schooling to my eight grand children. Thanks for asking. I'm not sure what it is you're expecting from me. There is no way to stop stupid. Unless of course you have the market on that.

I'm expecting you to provide a coherent argument about what you find offensive about 2 officers per car and better police training.

It's common sense.

b.jpg

Page18CO.jpg

Huh? I wasn't even alive then. Lol.

Then why post about that era?
It's common sense.

b.jpg

Page18CO.jpg

First tell us why the current training isn't adequate and what improvements you believe need to be made.

b.jpg

Page18CO.jpg

More training or different training? None at all. The difference is....I know the topic very well and you do not. People who bash the cops had better be able to offer something other than just criticism.

You say they need different training....well....inform us. Otherwise let the professionals deal with it.

I don't consider acknowledging that we need better training for our police to be "police bashing." It helps everyone, including the police.

now that is truly special. So is this how all transactions ought to take place? Because someone says so. funny, you are indeed that. Lost but funny. I feel sorry for you, you obviously haven't done anything outside your home to think because you think something it ought to be. See in business and law making where business decisions have to be made, a feasibility study or a business case is researched to confirm or validate such a claim. And you state, because I say so. Funny. Perhaps you ought to grow up a little.

Stop acting like a retard and address my posts. Now, which part of the statement do you disagree with and why?
are you sure you meant this for me? I explained your position quite frankly. What is it you feel I didn't address?

Are you 6 years old or something? Reading comprehension not your thing? Maybe you're just slow.
a well please tell me what it is I didn't address?

Tell me what you disagree with about this statement. Two officers can more easily take down a difficult suspect than one officer. If there are two officers, immediate backup is available.
you have no study that proves that is true, that is my statement. I've personally seen five officers attempt to take down one citizen. Again, it seems you don't get out and don't understand the mindset of a criminal. You should do some research, it will enlighten you to the actual issue. And that is that stupid is stupid and there is no way to police stupid.

b.jpg

Page18CO.jpg

b.jpg

Page18CO.jpg

First tell us why the current training isn't adequate and what improvements you believe need to be made.

I guess you didn't bother to read the article. It is comparing the way we used to train officers to how we train them now and things we could do differently.

Stop acting like a retard and address my posts. Now, which part of the statement do you disagree with and why?
are you sure you meant this for me? I explained your position quite frankly. What is it you feel I didn't address?

Are you 6 years old or something? Reading comprehension not your thing? Maybe you're just slow.

Tell me what you disagree with about this statement. Two officers can more easily take down a difficult suspect than one officer. If there are two officers, immediate backup is available.
you have no study that proves that is true, that is my statement. I've personally seen five officers attempt to take down one citizen. Again, it seems you don't get out and don't understand the mindset of a criminal. You should do some research, it will enlighten you to the actual issue. And that is that stupid is stupid and there is no way to police stupid.

I don't think I have to prove that two people are more effective than one when trying to take down a suspect. Do I?

Don't present statements as a fact unless you're willing to back it up.

What? I can do whatever I want. What's your solution?
you can? What are you going to walk into a police station and tell them all, "hey, two cops per car from now on because I said so" Funny stuff.

Please post up that video after you do that.

It is a solution that could be considered. Of course, there would still be shootings, but I think there would be less if there were 2 officers per patrol car.

Police consider 2 officers per patrol vehicle in some beats

"Officers could begin doubling up in patrol vehicles as early as January in an effort to improve response times for beats that have a high number of calls for service that require dual responses, said Columbia police patrol Capt. Brad Nelson. Domestic calls, robberies and alarm calls require two patrol vehicles to respond."

“The disadvantage is that you would see fewer black-and-whites. Still the same amount of officers, just not as many patrol vehicles out there at the same time,”

Same amount of cops fewer patrols mean some areas will not have police presence and will have to wait longer for a response when needed.

Mmm hmm. And? No solution is 100% fool proof or perfect.
well I definitely agree with that. You know why? You can't police stupid.

This is not a coherent argument about why you think 1 officer is more effective or just as effective as 2; or why you are against better training for police.

What? I can do whatever I want. What's your solution?
you can? What are you going to walk into a police station and tell them all, "hey, two cops per car from now on because I said so" Funny stuff.

Please post up that video after you do that.

It is a solution that could be considered. Of course, there would still be shootings, but I think there would be less if there were 2 officers per patrol car.

Police consider 2 officers per patrol vehicle in some beats

"Officers could begin doubling up in patrol vehicles as early as January in an effort to improve response times for beats that have a high number of calls for service that require dual responses, said Columbia police patrol Capt. Brad Nelson. Domestic calls, robberies and alarm calls require two patrol vehicles to respond."

“The disadvantage is that you would see fewer black-and-whites. Still the same amount of officers, just not as many patrol vehicles out there at the same time,”

Same amount of cops fewer patrols mean some areas will not have police presence and will have to wait longer for a response when needed.

Mmm hmm. And? No solution is 100% fool proof or perfect.
well I definitely agree with that. You know why? You can't police stupid.

Mmm. Yes. Very intelligent comment. Lol. Wow!

b.jpg

Page18CO.jpg

The article, quoted above, IS from professionals. Read it and learn.

And having 8 years prior police service...let me address this '2 offices per car' idea.

1. It causes cops to be LESS careful...and thus...more aggressive....so more incidents happen.
2. It is immediate backup which is good.
3. Most PDS did/do it to save gas....not for backup.
4. 911 calls get backlogged quickly. Instead of say 40 cars you only have 20. Calls wait. People bitch about response times. 1 flat tire takes out 2 cops instead of 1.
5. It DESTROYS morale. You ever try being in a car with the same person for 10 hours a day 4 days a week....for 52 weeks? The nature of the job ensures cops need some alone time to decompress. 2 per car never allows it.

So you idiots who want the 2 per car idea....it creates more problems than it solves. NYPD and LAPD do it. Their cities are so congested they had to because it took so long for backup to arrive. 99% of agencies don't need it.

b.jpg

Page18CO.jpg

The article, quoted above, IS from professionals. Read it and learn.

That article addressed training requirements from the 50s 60s and 70s...and stops at 1987. Nearly 3 decades ago.

Really? Thats your info? You have no clue what you're talking about. My state SC requires a 13 week academy. That's longer than all 5 branches of the military require for basic training. Then they do a 15 week field training program. Oh....and SC is known to have one of the shortest academies in America. NC is 26 weeks for basic academy. 2x longer than all military branch boot camps.

You really wanna discuss this with me? Because I'm going to embarrass you.

b.jpg

Page18CO.jpg

b.jpg

Page18CO.jpg

I guess you didn't bother to read the article. It is comparing the way we used to train officers to how we train them now and things we could do differently.

No, it doesn't address how things are different it addresses how it became mandatory and the length of training time increased. There was no details about the specific training that was received.

You were asked specifically what additional training was needed.

No, it doesn't address how things are different it addresses how it became mandatory and the length of training time increased. There was no details about the specific training that was received.

You were asked specifically what additional training

Notice how when she starts getting her argument destroyed....she all of a sudden "has to go to work"?

Forum List

Back