18 Animals Whose Numbers Are Plummeting Thanks To Humans

I read where the pole are just about due to shift.

Yep. Over a period of thousands of years. Most of the time. However, notable exceptions.And we have never been able to see any effect of that in the geological record of life at that time.

NASA - 2012 Magnetic Pole Reversal Happens All The Geologic Time

The fossil record shows no drastic changes in plant or animal life. Deep ocean sediment cores from this period also indicate no changes in glacial activity, based on the amount of oxygen isotopes in the cores. This is also proof that a polarity reversal would not affect the rotation axis of Earth, as the planet's rotation axis tilt has a significant effect on climate and glaciation and any change would be evident in the glacial record.

For the ones involving poaching, the best response is to make the animals legally valuable to those who live near them. If the poachers are taking money from the locals, they will have an incentive to protect them. In some cases the locals ARE the poachers, because the animals are worth more alive than dead. Some preservation methods, such as limited allowed hunting, may anger the more "bugs and bunnies" environmentalists, but controlled hunting brings hunters into the equation as fellow preservationists.

Exactly --- not just valuable for permit hunting, but for ECO -tourism, where the big bucks are. A lot of the large decline in African big game came from "tragedy of the commons" assignment of land use to corrupt and inept central govts. LOCALS can view preservation as an asset in many ways.

One thing that bugs me is seeing animals like the Hellbender on that list. Tennessee is one of the last ranges for that creatures. And our local Tenn Wildlife folks are always on TV -- showing the people how much they care about these creatures by TEARING UP STREAMBEDS with 4 guys in diving suits, overturning every rock trying to count them, weigh them, tag them --- whatever.. My wife and I are constantly shouting at the screen to "JUST LEAVE THEM THE HELL ALONE"..

Can't imagine what it means to a Hellbender (they are not fast creatures) to have a group of humans change their entire neighborhood rocks and features -- just to do a census..

When populations get that low, I'm thinking that the "professionals" are often doing more harm than good..

There are exactly Zero Tyrannosaurus Rex's running around right now.

Is every thing still ok? Yes.

When the time comes that there are Zero Pandas the Earth will STILL rotate. The Sun will STILL shine.

Stop panicking. Stop being so easily manipulated by people who want to control you.

Wake the f*ck up.

While its true that humans are killing the planet, it really doesn't make much sense to compare us to The massive asteroid impact that ended the age of dinosaurs some 66 million years ago triggered a decades-long, deadly, global "impact winter...

:eusa_snooty:

Are you suggesting killing all the humans?

Forum List

Back