2008 Silverado side steps

JohnDB

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2021
So....my dad is rather short....as in vertically challenged.

And I was going to get some side rails for my truck. Didn't look too difficult to install. So my dad could climb in and out easier....and my wife. (She is short too)

So I found these on Amazon....not expensive and I think they will work.

1714444673918.png

Anybody have any experience with these?

Nope but I understand why. Some days I get so sick of hiking my ass up into my Silverado. I actually need to put it into the shop. Has started running real rough on start up with engine light coming on. It runs fine after a few minutes though so not hugely urgent. I am hoping it is something simple like the throttle body. Started happening right after I loaned it to a neighbor who left it "warming up" in his driveway for 45 minutes. I was pissed.

Do these rails attach to your rocker panels? Those 2008 Chevy trucks are often rust buckets by now and your rocker panels might be gone underneath.

So....my dad is rather short....as in vertically challenged.

And I was going to get some side rails for my truck. Didn't look too difficult to install. So my dad could climb in and out easier....and my wife. (She is short too)

So I found these on Amazon....not expensive and I think they will work.

View attachment 939866

Anybody have any experience with these?
They look like the same ones on my 2014 Silverado, but I did not install them myself. They are very durable however and have been in place 10 years with no adjustments needed.

Do these rails attach to your rocker panels? Those 2008 Chevy trucks are often rust buckets by now and your rocker panels might be gone underneath.
I actually looked at them the other day....
They are just fine. Still got paint....some dirt too but still painted.

Up North those things go quick with the salt in the winter....but in the South we don't get snow and ice like that. So no salt.

They look like the same ones on my 2014 Silverado, but I did not install them myself. They are very durable however and have been in place 10 years with no adjustments needed.
Yeah....underbody and frame are the same from 2007-18 or 19? Can't remember exactly.

But thanks for the information. I got the crew cab....so that might be the reason the frame stayed the same. Quarter panels might get some tweaks and of course the grill changes from year to year....but essentially it's the same truck.

Nope but I understand why. Some days I get so sick of hiking my ass up into my Silverado. I actually need to put it into the shop. Has started running real rough on start up with engine light coming on. It runs fine after a few minutes though so not hugely urgent. I am hoping it is something simple like the throttle body. Started happening right after I loaned it to a neighbor who left it "warming up" in his driveway for 45 minutes. I was pissed.
You only get 200k miles to an engine. Long idles reduces that. And a warm up? Why? The thing warms up usually before you leave the subdivision.

So check the tailpipe for a whiff of coolant at startup...and the oil pressure. If the oil hits the bypass and no filter but still is too low it really shortens the life.

Also could be a short in one of the plug wires...dunno. run it by an auto parts store and get the codes. That will tell you lots.

You only get 200k miles to an engine. Long idles reduces that. And a warm up? Why? The thing warms up usually before you leave the subdivision.

So check the tailpipe for a whiff of coolant at startup...and the oil pressure. If the oil hits the bypass and no filter but still is too low it really shortens the life.

Also could be a short in one of the plug wires...dunno. run it by an auto parts store and get the codes. That will tell you lots.
IDK why it does it. I am not even close to 100K miles. The throttle body looks clean; air filter is fine; oil pressure and level fine. Guess I will check plugs next and then take it to the shop. One of my brothers thinks I have a vacuum leak but that is what he says when anything runs rough.

IDK why it does it. I am not even close to 100K miles. The throttle body looks clean; air filter is fine; oil pressure and level fine. Guess I will check plugs next and then take it to the shop. One of my brothers thinks I have a vacuum leak but that is what he says when anything runs rough.
For me,
These rails are like around $160....installation is on me. So it might be worth looking into for you.

For me,
These rails are like around $160....installation is on me. So it might be worth looking into for you.

i've thought about a step. Not sure I would do a whole running board. Right now I just sort of pull myself up using the steering wheel LOL

The nerf bars arrived today....

So I installed them. Fairly straightforward and easy enough instructions to follow. I used a ½" ratcheting wrench to tighten the supplied bolts. Mostly a piece of cake.

They were made right and everything went as planned. Easier to climb in and out of the truck and the bars are really sturdy.

The installer though was a whiny bitch. Kept taking smoke breaks and wanting water because it was hot outside.

Forum List

Back