2009 second warmest year on record

My, my, the total fucking idiots are baying at the moon again.

Wind Energy Costs much does wind energy cost
How much does wind energy cost?

Over the last 20 years, the cost of electricity from utility-scale wind systems has dropped by more than 80%. In the early 1980s, when the first utility-scale turbines were installed, wind-generated electricity cost as much as 30 cents per kilowatt-hour. Now, state-of-the-art wind power plants can generate electricity for less than 5 cents/kWh with the Production Tax Credit in many parts of the U.S., a price that is competitive with new coal- or gas-fired power plants.

The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is working with the wind industry to develop a next generation of wind turbine technology. The products from this program are expected to generate electricity at prices that will be lower still.

More reading:
The Economics of Wind Energy is a fact sheet that discusses this topic in greater depth.

Tne Economics of Wind Energy, British Wind Energy Association

Both wind and geo-thermal have the technology that puts them at a lower real cost than dirty coal. And even nuclear is cheaper than 'clean' coal. In fact, the only 'clean' coal plant operating at present is in China.

In a short time, Solar will be cheapest of all, and scalable for anyone that owns their own home. The home owner will not only be able to power his home, but also his vehicles, whatever their size.

Of course the idea of American Citizens being independent of the petro-dicatators like the Saudis and Chavez will just break the heart of Dooodeee... and the rest of the brain dead here.
IOW, it's only "competitive" because of huge subsidies.

Also, I still have yet to see a breakdown from you windbags of how long it takes --if ever-- for the dreaded "carbon footprint" to be offset by those eyesores.

Windmills are essentially bird guillotines!! Have you ever been to the base of one of those monstrosities? I have, there are rotting bird carcasses all over the place. Dead birds cause disease. That disease gets spread to other wildlife. Don't you care about animals Old Rocks?
mn_altamont2691.jpg

The Deadly Toll Of Wind Power
Despite yearlong effort to curb bird deaths by turbines on the Altamont Pass, many still have perished
January 02, 2008|By Charles Burress, Chronicle Staff Writer

The long hot summers of the San Joaquin Valley suck great tsunamis of cool coastal air through the Altamont Pass, producing winds so powerful that a person can lean nearly 45 degrees without falling down.

Such awesome force gave birth in the early 1980s to the world's largest collection of wind turbines, pioneers in what is now America's fastest-growing form of renewable energy and an increasingly important weapon in the battle against global warming.
But the Altamont Pass Wind Resource Area is also a symbol of the wind industry's biggest stain - the killings of thousands of birds, including majestic golden eagles, by turbines. The result has been a wrenching civil war among those who are otherwise united in the struggle to save the planet and its creatures.

It's been nearly a year since a controversial legal settlement was forged among wildlife groups, wind companies and Alameda County regulators. That agreement, opposed by some parties to the dispute, promised to reduce deaths of golden eagles and three other raptor species by 50 percent in three years and called for the shutdown or relocation of the 300 or so most lethal of the approximately 5,000 windmills at Altamont.

But five scientists appointed by the county say the settlement and accompanying efforts to reduce bird deaths are not on track to meet the 50 percent goal, and they recently surveyed the Altamont to determine which additional turbines should be removed or relocated to spots less likely to kill birds.

Known officially as the Scientific Review Committee, the panel agreed Dec. 21 that more turbines need to be removed or relocated. It issued a new list of 309 targeted turbines, plus 102 more if the wind companies refuse to continue a current, temporary shutdown of all their windmills into February. The wind operators had previously agreed to a two-month shutdown, for November and December.

:lol: Aw, the poor tree huggers can't decide whether to shit or go blind......Globull warming or bird guillotines......:cuckoo:

Wind energy? You mean the inconsistent energy source that emits low frequency noise harmful to animals and man and hurts migratory birds? Just watch, as soon as we build enough of them, the environmentalists will be protesting their use.

Windmills are essentially bird guillotines!! Have you ever been to the base of one of those monstrosities? I have, there are rotting bird carcasses all over the place. Dead birds cause disease. That disease gets spread to other wildlife. Don't you care about animals Old Rocks?
mn_altamont2691.jpg

Despite yearlong effort to curb bird deaths by turbines on the Altamont Pass, many still have perished

The long hot summers of the San Joaquin Valley suck great tsunamis of cool coastal air through the Altamont Pass, producing winds so powerful that a person can lean nearly 45 degrees without falling down.

Such awesome force gave birth in the early 1980s to the world's largest collection of wind turbines, pioneers in what is now America's fastest-growing form of renewable energy and an increasingly important weapon in the battle against global warming.
But the Altamont Pass Wind Resource Area is also a symbol of the wind industry's biggest stain - the killings of thousands of birds, including majestic golden eagles, by turbines. The result has been a wrenching civil war among those who are otherwise united in the struggle to save the planet and its creatures.

It's been nearly a year since a controversial legal settlement was forged among wildlife groups, wind companies and Alameda County regulators. That agreement, opposed by some parties to the dispute, promised to reduce deaths of golden eagles and three other raptor species by 50 percent in three years and called for the shutdown or relocation of the 300 or so most lethal of the approximately 5,000 windmills at Altamont.

But five scientists appointed by the county say the settlement and accompanying efforts to reduce bird deaths are not on track to meet the 50 percent goal, and they recently surveyed the Altamont to determine which additional turbines should be removed or relocated to spots less likely to kill birds.

Known officially as the Scientific Review Committee, the panel agreed Dec. 21 that more turbines need to be removed or relocated. It issued a new list of 309 targeted turbines, plus 102 more if the wind companies refuse to continue a current, temporary shutdown of all their windmills into February. The wind operators had previously agreed to a two-month shutdown, for November and December.

:lol: Aw, the poor tree huggers can't decide whether to shit or go blind......Globull warming or bird guillotines......:cuckoo:

Zander, the bird kill from the modern three vane wind turbine is far less than the guy lines for radio towers. Altomont mills are dinosaurs that will soon be replaced with modern mills.

Wind energy? You mean the inconsistent energy source that emits low frequency noise harmful to animals and man and hurts migratory birds? Just watch, as soon as we build enough of them, the environmentalists will be protesting their use.
The wind turbines produced enough power to power all of Colorado last year here in the US. And by the end of 2011, we will probably produce at least twice that much from the wind.

EIA Energy Kids - Wind

Wind Production
In 2008, wind machines in the United States generated a total of 52 billion kilowatthours, about 1.3% of total U.S. electricity generation. Although this is a small fraction of the Nation's total electricity production, it was enough electricity to serve 4.6 million households or to power the entire State of Colorado.

The amount of electricity generated from wind has been growing rapidly in recent years. Generation from wind in the United States nearly doubled between 2006 and 2008.

New technologies have decreased the cost of producing electricity from wind, and growth in wind power has been encouraged by tax breaks for renewable energy and green pricing programs. Many utilities around the country offer green pricing options that allow customers the choice to pay more for electricity that comes from renewable sources to support new technologies

Over the last 20 years, the cost of electricity from utility-scale wind systems has dropped by more than 80%. In the early 1980s, when the first utility-scale turbines were installed, wind-generated electricity cost as much as 30 cents per kilowatt-hour. Now, state-of-the-art wind power plants can generate electricity for less than 5 cents/kWh with the Production Tax Credit in many parts of the U.S., a price that is competitive with new coal- or gas-fired power plants.

The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is working with the wind industry to develop a next generation of wind turbine technology. The products from this program are expected to generate electricity at prices that will be lower still.

More reading:
The Economics of Wind Energy is a fact sheet that discusses this topic in greater depth.

Both wind and geo-thermal have the technology that puts them at a lower real cost than dirty coal. And even nuclear is cheaper than 'clean' coal. In fact, the only 'clean' coal plant operating at present is in China.

In a short time, Solar will be cheapest of all, and scalable for anyone that owns their own home. The home owner will not only be able to power his home, but also his vehicles, whatever their size.

Of course the idea of American Citizens being independent of the petro-dicatators like the Saudis and Chavez will just break the heart of Dooodeee... and the rest of the brain dead here.

Also, I still have yet to see a breakdown from you windbags of how long it takes --if ever-- for the dreaded "carbon footprint" to be offset by those eyesores.

My, my, why don't we just cut all subsidies to Oil and Coal? And what if we did that for the most expensive large source of power, nuclear?

I rather like the looks of the big wind turbines we have in Oregon. Not only that, they do not interfere with my breathing, and are not giving the next generation asthma, as are the coal plants.

Kentucky lawmakers blast budget's proposed coal subsidy cuts | McClatchy
Kentucky lawmakers blast budget's proposed coal subsidy cuts

By Halimah Abdullah | McClatchy Newspapers
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama's fiscal 2011 budget would cut roughly $2.3 billion in coal subsidies over the next decade, a move Kentucky lawmakers worry will mean heavy job losses in economically poor but coal-rich regions of Appalachia.

More reading:

My, my, why don't we just cut all subsidies to Oil and Coal? And what if we did that for the most expensive large source of power, nuclear?

I rather like the looks of the big wind turbines we have in Oregon. Not only that, they do not interfere with my breathing, and are not giving the next generation asthma, as are the coal plants.

Kentucky lawmakers blast budget's proposed coal subsidy cuts | McClatchy
Kentucky lawmakers blast budget's proposed coal subsidy cuts

By Halimah Abdullah | McClatchy Newspapers
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama's fiscal 2011 budget would cut roughly $2.3 billion in coal subsidies over the next decade, a move Kentucky lawmakers worry will mean heavy job losses in economically poor but coal-rich regions of Appalachia.

Why don't you live in a cave and cut yourself off from the outside world and electricity altogether?

I just made up a study that was peer reviewed by Dude and Liability that proves conclusively that Posting on the Internet is mankind leading contribution to Global warming.

mn_altamont2691.jpg

Zander, the bird kill from the modern three vane wind turbine is far less than the guy lines for radio towers. Altomont mills are dinosaurs that will soon be replaced with modern mills.
That's not what the San Fran tree huggers say!!

Why do you hate the earth? Why should any animal die just to power your TV and internet connection? We need to go back to the Stone Age. No tools, no cars, no electricity. We'd all live in caves and carry big sticks. Fire power would be actual FIRE. Old School. Old Rocks.

cave-MAN.jpg

Last edited:

More reading:

You know all those windmill turbines off the coast of Hyannisport, Massachusetts?

You don't?

There's -- erah erah -- a reason for that.

Not In My Back -- erah erah -- yahd.

mn_altamont2691.jpg

I prefer the phrase...

"Son, you don't know whether you're shot, fucked, powder-burned or snake bit."

Thank you Noble Willingham.

Why do you hate the earth? Why should any animal die just to power your TV and internet connection? We need to go back to the Stone Age. No tools, no cars, no electricity. We'd all live in caves and carry big sticks. Fire power would be actual FIRE. Old School. Old Rocks.

cave-MAN.jpg
I've GOT it! They hate homo sapiens! They're Neanderthals come to seek revenge!

cave-MAN.jpg
I've GOT it! They hate homo sapiens! They're Neanderthals come to seek revenge!
Sadly, many of these enviro-wackos actually hate humans. They value plants and animals over and above humans. Sick....

Ever read Tom Clancy's "Rainbow Six"? Fictional, but captures that basic attitude of the far green fringe.

Earth First, Greenpeace, Earth Liberation Front, PETA. I'd file them pretty much all in the same insanity catagories really.

They just seem to vary in the amount of violence they will commit to push their agenda, from the humorous (PETA going nude and their fatal no-kill shelters)
to the stupid (Greenpeace trying to damage/sink/stop whalers with their own vessels)
to the downright dangerous (ELF driving nails into trees to maim loggers or setting car dealerships on fire).

Ah yes, and you fellows believe that asbestos is good for you, that Love Canal was a scam, that acid rain was never a problem, and that the rivers in the US were never polluted.

Just as rational as the Bullshit you idiots are posting.

In a short time, Solar will be cheapest of all, and scalable for anyone that owns their own home.
And when it truly is cheap and reliable then people will use it.
Until then, we understand your religious fascination with Armageddon.
You would probably be happiest if the sun's output doubled and everything on Earth burned to a crisp, because then you would be proven right.
Too bad for the rest of us, but omelets, breaking eggs and all that.

Ah yes, and you fellows believe that asbestos is good for you, that Love Canal was a scam, that acid rain was never a problem, and that the rivers in the US were never polluted.

Please cite a post where I stated I believed any of the things you accuse me of.

And where, perchance have I said that?

Aren't your pants hot from all that lying? Isn't it good enough that you have Mann Jones and Hansen doing enough of it for you?

Forum List

Back