25% EV Charging Stations in San Fran Region Don’t Work

You clearly misunderstood me because as YOU showed it was developed over 220 years ago clearly an old technology today, they are using different materials, but the basic concept of the Battery is over 220 years old.

LOL
New technology can maintain the same concept of operation. I understand if that is too complex for you to grasp.

Tesla is supposed to be coming out with a new truck. Now if his claims of performance are anywhere near true....it will be a game changer. 500 miles on a single charge...10 minutes of charging will get you another 300 miles or something like that.
800 volt system will radically change the dynamic of EVs.
Carbon Fibre wrapped motors and a new upgraded battery giving increased payload and towing capacity. (2,000 lbs)
Also a price tag starting at 40k. (IOW affordable for a change)

There's still going to be the issues of an insufficient power supply and the issues surrounding charging in disaster zones....but it definitely is very different than the original specs.
If they can overcome the issues surrounding apartment complex parking and charging....they might have a winner.

In my opinion....they need to radically change the way cars charge. Quit putting the juice on the end of the charger with a cord. Have the vehicles carry their own cord. It's not even difficult. Create a universal socket instead of a universal cord like the rest of the electric industry utilizes. Too much opportunity for failure the way its currently designed. DUH!

Tesla is supposed to be coming out with a new truck. Now if his claims of performance are anywhere near true....it will be a game changer. 500 miles on a single charge...10 minutes of charging will get you another 300 miles or something like that. 800 volt system will radically change the dynamic of EVs.
That all sounds like better reason to expect more EV fires and greater cost.

Also a price tag starting at 40k. (IOW affordable for a change)
I guess, if you consider $40,000 affordable for a PU truck. I bought a K1500 4X4 with 5.7L for 1/10th that price.

If they can overcome the issues surrounding apartment complex parking and charging....they might have a winner.
They won't.

In my opinion....they need to radically change the way cars charge. Quit putting the juice on the end of the charger with a cord. Have the vehicles carry their own cord. It's not even difficult. Create a universal socket instead of a universal cord like the rest of the electric industry utilizes. Too much opportunity for failure the way its currently designed. DUH!
I don't see cord or plug design to one of the major problems here!

If you don't like electric cars...don't buy one.
If you don't like trucks...don't buy one.
If you don't like SUVs...don't buy one.

No.................wait. You'd rather whine whine whine.
^^ except your side is the one that mandates such choices.

Yes, and we all know that there are almost never any initial problems with implimentation of new technology, and any problems that do occur will never be worked out. I suppose having a group to evaluate problems and come up with solutions could easily get past that initial hurdle, but nobody seems to be doing that..........Oh wait.
Hahahaha.... really?
I see where you are coming from, but it is just simply naïve. You are looking for a reason to argue.
Ever see potholes? Ever see busted sidewalks all over the place? Outdated sewage lines?
Ever hear about America's crumbling infrastructure? Well guess what? These chargers are a part of infrastructure.
You can bet your mortgage that they will absolutely not be well maintained. Broken ones will remain unfixed for weeks and even months.
Since when, in America, do cities keep facilities well maintained???

Hahahaha.... really?
I see where you are coming from, but it is just simply naïve. You are looking for a reason to argue.
Ever see potholes? Ever see busted sidewalks all over the place? Outdated sewage lines?
Ever hear about America's crumbling infrastructure? Well guess what? These chargers are a part of infrastructure.
You can bet your mortgage that they will absolutely not be well maintained. Broken ones will remain unfixed for weeks and even months.
Since when, in America, do cities keep facilities well maintained???
You seem to think those charging stations are publicly owned, like roads and sidewalks. They aren't. Charging stations aren't publicly owned any more than gas pumps are.

You seem to think those charging stations are publicly owned, like roads and sidewalks. They aren't. Charging stations aren't publicly owned any more than gas pumps are.
In a sense they are.
Coulomb was contracted by the city as a test base for other cities.
They are specifically "public stations". San Fransisco has contracted other companies as well.

That all sounds like better reason to expect more EV fires and greater cost.

I guess, if you consider $40,000 affordable for a PU truck. I bought a K1500 4X4 with 5.7L for 1/10th that price.

They won't.

I don't see cord or plug design to one of the major problems here!
If that cord carrying the juice to your car has been damaged...you are going to fry your charging electronics instantly. Meaning that just by using a public cord...you are risking damage to your vehicle.

You don't pull a plug out of a wall to plug in your toaster or blender...you pull a cord out of your toaster and plug it into the wall. An Electric car should operate the same way. Your cell phone has a charging cord that plugs at both ends.

Too many accidents have happened the other way around.

Most new full sized pickup trucks are going for closer to $100,000 than they are $50,000. Tesla's is 40,000.

Look....I'm not saying that this is ideal technology yet. Insufficient charging stations and no way for multi-family dwelling drivers to charge their cars affordable. Plus the current electric grid infrastructure cannot deliver enough watts to power America's drivers.

What I am saying is that they are making progress towards having an affordable and viable product.

If that cord carrying the juice to your car has been damaged...
Why would the cord be damaged? Do you know what it would take to damage one? Any idea how thick the insulation would be on an 800 volt charging system?

you are going to fry your charging electronics instantly. Meaning that just by using a public cord...you are risking damage to your vehicle.
As a retired electronics engineer, I don't think so. What you are talking about is a SHORT, and if two of the leads in the cable or anywhere in the supply chain were shorted, I would think that the internal fault detection circuit in the charger protecting it would automatically just trip cutting off the current.

You don't pull a plug out of a wall to plug in your toaster or blender...you pull a cord out of your toaster and plug it into the wall.
Irrelevant. You also don't drive around in your toaster. I see no upside to requiring drivers to carry their own heavy cord. IMO, that is likely to INCREASE the chances for an accident!

Why would the cord be damaged? Do you know what it would take to damage one? Any idea how thick the insulation would be on an 800 volt charging system?

As a retired electronics engineer, I don't think so. What you are talking about is a SHORT, and if two of the leads in the cable or anywhere in the supply chain were shorted, I would think that the internal fault detection circuit in the charger protecting it would automatically just trip cutting off the current.

Irrelevant. You also don't drive around in your toaster. I see no upside to requiring drivers to carry their own heavy cord. IMO, that is likely to INCREASE the chances for an accident!

Currently most wire being pulled in most buildings today is THHN or THWN which is good for 600 volts. Even the romex in your house can hold 600 volts. A little bit more insulation isn't going to be a huge issue.

And those cables coming out of the charging stations is just VJ cable...not even SO cable. It's not that tough.
And the 800 volts are internal...not on the charging cord. 409 volts wired in series instead of parallel are what?

And currently you have higher voltage than 800volts in your average car now...from the coil to the spark plugs.

In a sense they are.
Coulomb was contracted by the city as a test base for other cities.
They are specifically "public stations". San Fransisco has contracted other companies as well.
The city provided the space, and probably offered some type of tax incentive to attract companies to install their charging stations. Those companies are responsible for the maintenence and repair of their own equipment. It's a similar, but much smaller version of cities attracting a major sports team. The city isn't responsible for the day to day operations of a sports team either.

Forum List

Back