🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

36% have no nest egg- thank god SS is in good shape...26% age 50-64...

Even if SS ran into trouble, there are several tweaks that can be made. I run into people all the time, and I mean all the time, who are essentially assuming that SS won't be around for them and they're wrong.

The problem is our culture, which continues to make two huge mistakes: We put virtually no effort into educating our young people about personal finance or macroeconomics, and we celebrate conspicuous consumption over smart, humble financial behavior. The more shit you have, supposedly the happier you are. And that is obviously not the case.

Smart money management isn't cool, and the decay continues.

It's not empty.
It's solvent.

Pensions were the way to go but a few Wall Street hacks couldn't stand the fact that they couldn't get their grubby little mits on it. My generation has fewer children but my son's generation has almost as many as the Boomers. The fear mongering comes from the same little group of thugs that want to get their little paws on it. I love the game of how the government and the thugs point fingers at each other.

Even if SS ran into trouble, there are several tweaks that can be made. I run into people all the time, and I mean all the time, who are essentially assuming that SS won't be around for them and they're wrong.

The problem is our culture, which continues to make two huge mistakes: We put virtually no effort into educating our young people about personal finance or macroeconomics, and we celebrate conspicuous consumption over smart, humble financial behavior. The more shit you have, supposedly the happier you are. And that is obviously not the case.

Smart money management isn't cool, and the decay continues.

Econ is a requirement in high school. It's also the softest science there is. It's all theory.

Econ is a requirement in high school. It's also the softest science there is. It's all theory.

Personal finance is not theory, and it's not what they learn in Econ. It's black & white and clear as a bell, something that can be based on an Excel spreadsheet. In general, our population knows precious little about their own money.

And whatever they're being "taught" about Economics is worthless. There's plenty of hard facts in Economics, and there are plenty of adults who don't have the first clue about something as simple as supply and demand.

Personal finance is taught in the schools. It's a requirement where I am at.
The only hard fact around econ is that it is used as a way to justify taking money from working people. It began as a way to combat strikes through public programming. Thus shifting responsibility away from the corporations and the banks. It's all theory.

The only hard fact around econ is that it is used as a way to justify taking money from working people. It began as a way to combat strikes through public programming. Thus shifting responsibility away from the corporations and the banks. It's all theory.

Oh, this is about "those evil banks" and the "poor victimized working people".

Okay, never mind...

When people are young the last thing they are thinking about is saving for retirement. I was guilty of that myself...It's taught in schools yes, but it needs to be drummed into them it is vital they START EARLY..I wished I had of...But having SS isn't going to SAVE someone, you will still need to work to supplement it..That's why we still have seniors working.

Reading through this thread, it reads like everything else that goes on from the left.

The bottom line is that they are stupid enough to think this system is optimal when in fact it promotes all kinds of stupid situations.

I would never shut it down because the people on it have paid into it for their entire lives.

I would change it in a number of ways and I would make it more flexible.

But the left always steps forward and screams "DON'T TOUCH IT". They have been brainwashed into thinking they will be eating cat food in their old ages.

Which might be good because most cats I know are smarter than most of the liberal fools I know.

Social Security is forced poverty.

I don't know how many times I have to show you sheep that if you controlled your own money in an account you, not the government, owned that you would be far better off in retirement compared to what SS pays you.

Social Security is forced poverty.

I don't know how many times I have to show you sheep that if you controlled your own money in an account you, not the government, owned that you would be far better off in retirement compared to what SS pays you.

That is true. But that assumes you would save if you were not required to do so by law.

While, at the optimum, I would prefer no S.S., I would suggest there are much better ways to do things even if we still require legal contributions of some kind.

SS would be gone NOW without Dems to protect it from "privatizing" greedy idiot Pub a-holes. SS may provide only poverty, but that's better than miserable poorhouses and potters fields Pubs want again...Dems also provide food stamps and affordable housing...nothing great but a helluva improvement over Pub bs and hate.

That is true. But that assumes you would save if you were not required to do so by law.

While, at the optimum, I would prefer no S.S., I would suggest there are much better ways to do things even if we still require legal contributions of some kind.
Pie in the sky? SS is here to stay, GREATLY helps those who need it, and no one has any answer to what would replace it, just stupid propaganda about how it's failing. Silly Pub dupes!

Do not make blanket statements: it was not required for me, and not even OFFERED to my younger brother!

I look at it this way...If I get a SS check when I retire that's fine.
I am not counting on it being there.

Forum List

Back