🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

70 years ago today: D-Day

good thread

we should remember their bravery and courage on that day..

many lost their lives for us and people they didn't even know in another country

they served and died honorable

The German military of today (2014), known as the "Bundeswehr", is also present as part of the respectful ceremonies. In fact, German soldiers also parachuted out of some of those planes to commemorate D-Day. I think there is great historical significance in the fact that the Bundeswehr was invited by Hollande to definitely be a part of today's ceremonies, a sign that the "Versöhnung" (reconciliation) between these two once-enemies is really quite complete.

I want to let everyone here know that when Germans whom I know remember D-Day, they don't remember the German defense of France, they remember the Allies coming to liberate the continent, including Nazi-Germany itself.

I think that is an important detail to share.

The German Bundeswehr of today is the largest military force within the EU and often used for humanitarian missions. Bundi-Soldiers of today are acutely aware of the sins of their forefathers and work mightily to set a completely different impression.

Remember, the German military of today is, per Constitution, a purely defensive force, not an offensive force.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd heard about this.
After a long campaign by insurgent terrorists of the French so called resistance, foreign forces invaded the legitimately held German lands.

Well, if the Germans had won, that's what we would have read in the history books.

It gives me chills to think of the courage and commitment of those men

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk

when you watch clips of that day it is chilling, but then you see real courage..

Absolutely, I agree 100%.

Normandie and Iwo Jima have got to be the two most brutal battles ever in the history of our world. We could maybe put Stalingrad on that list as well, but the length of that battle kind of puts in in a weird class all on it's own.

Most of those young men knew they were going to die that day. They knew they would be easy pickings for the well-entrenched NAZI gun turrets.

And yet, they went into battle. May G-d forever bless them for what they did for US.

It gives me chills to think of the courage and commitment of those men

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk

when you watch clips of that day it is chilling, but then you see real courage..

Absolutely, I agree 100%.

Normandie and Iwo Jima have got to be the two most brutal battles ever in the history of our world. We could maybe put Stalingrad on that list as well, but the length of that battle kind of puts in in a weird class all on it's own.

Most of those young men knew they were going to die that day. They knew they would be easy pickings for the well-entrenched NAZI gun turrets.

And yet, they went into battle. May G-d forever bless them for what they did for US.

Amen to that
I can't imagine what they must of been feeling...YET they went in for the mission they were there for...

i remember D-Day........, and Pearl Harbor, V-E Day and V-J Day.

i had three Uncles there that day, they all three survived, and one Uncle and two cousins in the war on Japs :up:

Forum List

Back