70 years ago today

Growing up within 20 years of D-Day I always wanted to be a military man and serve with honor like my Granddads did....My family has served in the military since the Revolutionary War. I also directed my children into military service, it is our responsibility as citizens to be ready to sacrifice and provide the last measure of our devotion to the ideals of our nation and the people that make the US a great nation...

Everyone should be made to serve with very few deferments given . and only for real hardships, not political connections or rich kid entitlement

The Greatest Generation preserved the opportunities and freedoms that we enjoy today, yet this generation fails to measure up, understand, and respect the sacrifice that they made in our behalf. We are now lead by those that fail to truly understand what is required to preserve and foster the concept of freedom. Just look how far we have fallen. What a disgrace and slap in the face to those that preceded us.
God bless those that made and paid the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf.

Growing up within 20 years of D-Day I always wanted to be a military man and serve with honor like my Granddads did....My family has served in the military since the Revolutionary War. I also directed my children into military service, it is our responsibility as citizens to be ready to sacrifice and provide the last measure of our devotion to the ideals of our nation and the people that make the US a great nation...

Everyone should be made to serve with very few deferments given . and only for real hardships, not political connections or rich kid entitlement

Yes, I agree. We should all do some form of service for our nation. Whether military or Peace Corp, all should serve in some manner.

People were waived from the draft if they agreed to grow "Marihuana" for America's military during World War II.

Imagine if that plan had been in place during Vietnam.

Four dates I will not forget. December 7th, June 6th and August 6th, and 9/11. My Mother lived through the depression and Pearl harbor. I asked her which was worse, Pearl harbor or 9/11? She said9/11. Muslims attacking America has no parallel. And so it goes.

Last edited:
Except that 9/11 didn't have the real threat of being conquered by a foreign power.

You know how much of a threat the Axis was? We legalized weed, that's how serious the situation was. Can you imagine a situation today being so dire that the US Federal government says, "If we don't grow weed, we're going to lose this war"?

CMH recipient, Sergeant Walter Ehlers, didn't make it to the 70th anniversary.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBJ6BOEb-aI]Walter Ehlers, Medal of Honor, WWII - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qhvjEwb9Z4]Medal of Honor recipient Walter Ehlers laid to rest in California - YouTube[/ame]

For all those that survived D-Day, We love you. And those that didn't...we can't even pretend t understand your losses. To Korea to Vietnam to Iraq.

149357_600.jpg

Father-in-Law on first wave on Normandy, shot 3 separate times, spent 2 more years going through France then to Italy...knew nothing about his service until his death, found all his medals, and a "Short Snorter" note from all the places he fought in. Never talked about it, said he lost most of his "Friends". Father a submariner in the Pacific, also never talked about it. These were great men, and my boyhood hero's!

American veterans salute during a joint French-US D-Day commemoration ceremony at the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial in Colleville-sur-mer, Normandy, on June 6, 2014, marking the 70th anniversary of the World War II Allied landings in Normandy. (Photo: AFP PHOTO/DAMIEN MEYER)

Seems strange DDay was such a monumental event involving thousands and today we talk of one soldier seemingly almost as important as that day in June. Ah, the political perspective changes all.

Forum List

Back