72% of Americans support government run healthcare

Rasmussen just came out, over 50% of Americans do not want a government run health care system.

This can be fixed, but it needs to stay in the private insurance industry.

For all of you who want this--- Have any of you ever had to go the social security administration for a name change-anything else- because if you did, you would see how this government agency operates. You certainly don't want these idiots to be making decisions for you about your healthcare or the healthcare of your loved ones.

When you have a long wait at a restaurant because they don't have enough cooks or waitresses on hand, the next night you staff with more cooks and waitresses so that you can serve the demand....

If you have too few tables available for the crowd, you enlarge your restaurant and add more tables, if that can't be done, someone buys the commercial lot next to you and opens another restaurant to serve the demand.

Why don't hospitals work in the same capitalistic manner?

Because the market is not an efficient allocator of public good. There isn't do re MEEEE to be made in doing the proper thing for human well being. That's for political and social organizations. The problem is, the market stuck its nose in our political and social business instead of producing things. They want a fee for allocation. They suck at it, their ad agencies aren't so hot, but they only have to play three chords here in the US and almost half the pop thinks its the harps of angels. I was wondering when they'd resurrect Harry and Louise.
I've half expected to see Harry and Louise, as well. They've trotted out every other cliche.

Rasmussen just came out, over 50% of Americans do not want a government run health care system.

For all of you who want this--- Have any of you ever had to go the social security administration for a name change-anything else- because if you did, you would see how this government agency operates. You certainly don't want these idiots to be making decisions for you about your healthcare or the healthcare of your loved ones.

medicare recipients are HAPPY as pie, for the most part.... wonder why?

And why shouldn't they be happy with it? Medicare has been sold to them below cost, and that's why the Medicare trust will be empty by 2017 and Medicare will be unable to pay its bills unless the current 2.9 % payroll tax, half paid by the employee and half paid by the employer, is soon raised by 134% to almost 6.8 %. How happy will working people be with it when they have to start paying the true cost of Medicare?

Sounds like Canada UNDERESTIMATED Demand....which is causing delays....they need to increase their SUPPLY to solve the problem correctly NOT cut services.

They need more hospitals, and Doctors and Nurses, and Medical Schools, Nursing schools, and Medical Technology schools so that the Demand for such, is serviced imo.....

And of course, easier said than done...

There are NO delays for life threatening treatmenst no matter what the treatment is. Unlike the USA where the HMO decides who gets treatment, in Canada the Doctor decides.

Because the market is not an efficient allocator of public good.

Right on sister.

Certainly that's true in the business of HC. And for those interested in a fact based approcah tpo this problem, that is obvious if one studies the dollars spend per capita and the morbity and mortality stats of this nation of ours versus nearly any other industrialized nation on earth (and some third world nations, too, amazing as that seems to most of us!)

Not quite. What you are saying here in terms of morbity and mortality rests on the presumption that health care system is wholly or mostly responsible for it. They aren't. is the healthcare system to blame for all of the overweight American's that end up having complications as a result, who directly impact morbity and mortality? Of course not. Typical liberal again. You bare absolutely no responsibility for the problem whatsoever.

LOL. Here we go again. All illnesses are lifestyle choices? All cancers? Of course, the fact that these nations do not have families going bankrupt because of medical bills, while in our nation, hundreds of thousands of families are yearly bankrupted has nothing at all to do with the problem?

Bern, you are defending the indefensible. You keep saying what we have is not good, but don't you dare change it. Definition of insanity, keep on doing the same thing, and expecting differant results.

OK. You just made a statement concerning the SS Admin. You claim they are horribly inefficient. I just started SS. It took me less than an hour to fill out the forms on the net. And my first check arrived a week later with all the information I needed concerning working and drawing SS. I have yet to deal with any major corperation that operated with that efficiency.

Another Poll Shows Majority Support for Single-Payer - Healthcare-NOW!

A New York Times/CBS News poll released last week shows, yet again, that the majority of Americans support national health insurance.

The poll, which compares answers to the same questions from 30 years ago, finds that, “59% [of Americans] say the government should provide national health insurance, including 49% who say such insurance should cover all medical problems.”

Only 32% think that insurance should be left to private enterprise.

Poll: Americans Overwhelmingly Favor Universal Health Care -- Until Taxes Are Mentioned
By Eric Kleefeld - May 29, 2009, 4:55PM
A new CNN poll shows just how tricky the debate over health care really is. People are all for expanded coverage and greater government involvement -- right up until they have to face the tradeoffs.

"In general, would you favor or oppose a program that would increase the federal government's influence over the country's health care system in an attempt to lower costs and provide health care coverage to more Americans?" Americans favor government intervention in the health system by 69%-29%.

"In general, would you favor or oppose a program that would increase the federal government's influence over the health care you and your family receive in an attempt to lower costs and provide health care coverage to more Americans?" When it involves their own care and their families, approval is still high, but a bit lower: 63%-36%.

"Do you think the federal government should guarantee health care for all Americans, or don't you think so?" Americans favor guaranteed health care for all, by a margin of 62%-38%.

Now here's where it gets really tricky: "Would you prefer a health care reform plan that raises taxes in order to provide health insurance to all Americans, or a plan that does not provide health insurance to all Americans but keeps taxes at current levels?" It is now a 47%-47% tie, thanks to the threat of tax increases.
Poll: Americans Overwhelmingly Favor Universal Health Care -- Until Taxes Are Mentioned | TPMDC

Poll: Americans Overwhelmingly Favor Universal Health Care -- Until Taxes Are Mentioned
By Eric Kleefeld - May 29, 2009, 4:55PM
A new CNN poll shows just how tricky the debate over health care really is. People are all for expanded coverage and greater government involvement -- right up until they have to face the tradeoffs.

"In general, would you favor or oppose a program that would increase the federal government's influence over the country's health care system in an attempt to lower costs and provide health care coverage to more Americans?" Americans favor government intervention in the health system by 69%-29%.

"In general, would you favor or oppose a program that would increase the federal government's influence over the health care you and your family receive in an attempt to lower costs and provide health care coverage to more Americans?" When it involves their own care and their families, approval is still high, but a bit lower: 63%-36%.

"Do you think the federal government should guarantee health care for all Americans, or don't you think so?" Americans favor guaranteed health care for all, by a margin of 62%-38%.

Now here's where it gets really tricky: "Would you prefer a health care reform plan that raises taxes in order to provide health insurance to all Americans, or a plan that does not provide health insurance to all Americans but keeps taxes at current levels?" It is now a 47%-47% tie, thanks to the threat of tax increases.
Poll: Americans Overwhelmingly Favor Universal Health Care -- Until Taxes Are Mentioned | TPMDC

Basically, most Americans support universal health insurance as long as some one else is going to pay for it and as long as it will not increase their insurance premiums or limit any of their present health care choices.

The majority likes the idea of forcing employers to either provide health insurance or pay a fee and they also like the idea of taxing upper income Americans to pay for it, so the battle lines in the Senate have been drawn: those who oppose raising taxes during a recession or raising business costs during a recession will vote against the only ways of paying for universal health insurance that the majority of Americans will support.

Poll: Americans want health-care bill, but not cost - USATODAY.com

When you have a long wait at a restaurant because they don't have enough cooks or waitresses on hand, the next night you staff with more cooks and waitresses so that you can serve the demand....

If you have too few tables available for the crowd, you enlarge your restaurant and add more tables, if that can't be done, someone buys the commercial lot next to you and opens another restaurant to serve the demand.

Why don't hospitals work in the same capitalistic manner?

Because the market is not an efficient allocator of public good. There isn't do re MEEEE to be made in doing the proper thing for human well being. That's for political and social organizations. The problem is, the market stuck its nose in our political and social business instead of producing things. They want a fee for allocation. They suck at it, their ad agencies aren't so hot, but they only have to play three chords here in the US and almost half the pop thinks its the harps of angels. I was wondering when they'd resurrect Harry and Louise.

Same question I ask everyone else. Why do you have the right to obligate me to pay for your health care needs?

What makes you think you aren't already? Surely you don't think the insurance agencies absorb the costs of others? you're already getting the bill with an added layer of expense. Enjoy.

And why shouldn't they be happy with it? Medicare has been sold to them below cost, and that's why the Medicare trust will be empty by 2017 and Medicare will be unable to pay its bills unless the current 2.9 % payroll tax, half paid by the employee and half paid by the employer, is soon raised by 134% to almost 6.8 %. How happy will working people be with it when they have to start paying the true cost of Medicare?

i don't know how happy they will be if they have to pay a lot more....one reason i suppose they do like it is for reasonably good care for a reasonable price...as you noted!

Though, i do think people would support some tax increase to secure the program, but i don't know the tipping point of where they won't support it anymore...

care

i don't know how happy they will be if they have to pay a lot more....one reason i suppose they do like it is for reasonably good care for a reasonable price...as you noted!

Though, i do think people would support some tax increase to secure the program, but i don't know the tipping point of where they won't support it anymore...

care

It's not just one tax increase. As long as the cost of delivering health care continues to rise, and there seems to be no reason to doubt it will, the tax increases will keep on coming. If they don't want to keep paying higher and higher taxes, they will have to agree to less and less coverage; what that will come out to mean is that if you develop a serious chronic disease, you may not receive much in terms of treatment. This is pretty much the only way to keep the costs of health care down: stop providing expensive treatments for age related diseases.

Right on sister.

Certainly that's true in the business of HC. And for those interested in a fact based approcah tpo this problem, that is obvious if one studies the dollars spend per capita and the morbity and mortality stats of this nation of ours versus nearly any other industrialized nation on earth (and some third world nations, too, amazing as that seems to most of us!)

Not quite. What you are saying here in terms of morbity and mortality rests on the presumption that health care system is wholly or mostly responsible for it. They aren't. is the healthcare system to blame for all of the overweight American's that end up having complications as a result, who directly impact morbity and mortality? Of course not. Typical liberal again. You bare absolutely no responsibility for the problem whatsoever.

LOL. Here we go again. All illnesses are lifestyle choices? All cancers? Of course, the fact that these nations do not have families going bankrupt because of medical bills, while in our nation, hundreds of thousands of families are yearly bankrupted has nothing at all to do with the problem?

Bern, you are defending the indefensible. You keep saying what we have is not good, but don't you dare change it. Definition of insanity, keep on doing the same thing, and expecting differant results.

I have said none of those things. You're only gonna come out looking like a tool in this if you insist on lieing about what someone has said. If you can't at least have an honest conversation about what has and hasn't been said get the fuck out.

I never said all illnesses were due to poor lifestyle choices. The fact is that a pretty decent chunk of Americans have unhealthy habits contributes a great deal to the cost of healthcare.

And as far as changing the system, you dishonest piece of shit, I have stated at least twice in this very thread that changes do need to be made. What I have stated, quite specifically, is one course of 'change' that I think would be bad for everyone and this is OUR government running the show.

Don't get in my face about indefensible rocls, because blatantly and cowardly mischaracterizing someone's position, especially when it's right in front of your face is about as indefensible as it gets.

Same question I ask everyone else. Why do you have the right to obligate me to pay for your health care needs?

What makes you think you aren't already? Surely you don't think the insurance agencies absorb the costs of others? you're already getting the bill with an added layer of expense. Enjoy.

Wow you are predictable. How did I know this was gonna be your argument? You are familiar with the concept of a consenting contractual agreement aren't you?

a total of 895 adults participated in the telephone survey, which was conducted from June 12 to 16 and had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points....

So this 72% consists of 895 people? out of what over 250 million who would be impacted by this,? thats hardly what I would call a ringing endorsement of this plan.

In terms of the efficacy of polls, yeah, that's about right.

As long as the statistical sample is a broad cross-sample of Americans, the poll will be accurate to within 3% of the mean 19 times out of 20.

What kind of people actually want to take a telephone survey, instead of hanging up? I'll tell you who, not the kind of people who's opinions should count. I mean, I wonder how many people they had to call before they got 895. Also, a lot of people have completely got rid of their landline (which I'm sure was used to conduct this survey), with the exception of one group, the elderly. Therefore, if they actually got someone to take the survey, that person, for some reason, thinks it is a good idea to take time out of their life to answer questions for a stranger that is getting paid to interrupt random people with a telephone call, OR, the person answering the phone is elderly since they all have landlines, and will be pretty much be all for government ran healthcare, seeing that it only stands to benefit them.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Americans strongly support fundamental changes to the healthcare system and a move to create a government-run insurance plan to compete with private insurers, according to a New York Times/CBS News poll published on Saturday.

The poll came amid mounting opposition to plans by the Obama administration and its allies in the Democratic-controlled Congress to push through the most sweeping restructuring of the U.S. healthcare system since the end of World War Two.

Republicans and some centrist Democrats oppose increasing the government's role in healthcare -- it already runs the Medicare and Medicaid systems for the elderly and indigent -- fearing it would require vast public funds and reduce the quality of care.

But the Times/CBS poll found 85 percent of respondents wanted major healthcare reforms and most would be willing to pay higher taxes to ensure everyone had health insurance. An estimated 46 million Americans currently have no coverage.

Seventy-two percent of those questioned said they backed a government-administered insurance plan similar to Medicare for those under 65 that would compete for customers with the private sector. Twenty percent said they were opposed.

Wide support for government health plan: poll | Reuters

Of course 72% do, since most of them won't have to pay for it, as 50% of the country pays little or no taxes, and the Messiah is only looking to raise taxes on those of us who actually make a decent living.

And let's see how many support a gov't-run system when they need an operation for a life-threatening illness, and the next available doctor cannot be scheduled for, oh, about 18 months...

My HC is currently a completely socialized system...the Veterans' Administration.

FYI I recieve excellent care from that system.

Far better, in fact, than I ever got when I had private insurance.

So your theory that the government cannot do anything right is simply based on your own limited experiences.

Laura Ingranm just said we spend 2,5 trillion a year on health care. But the govt wants to spend another trillion to service the "uninsured" I'm not great a math but I fail to see how a 30 percent increase will "control costs" what am I missing?

Wow you are predictable. How did I know this was gonna be your argument? You are familiar with the concept of a consenting contractual agreement aren't you?

I am. Are you aware that the majority of the American people would like the option of consenting to a better deal? See, where there is an actual choice, there is informed consent. Where there is a cabal setting prices for the higher prices of a given industry, there is no choice beyond pay up if you can or go without. The insurance industry is a cabal. If they can compete with the public option so be it. If they can't, millions of uninsured and under insured Americans are under no obligation to keep these paper pushing middle men in business or their stockholders in profit.

Forum List

Back