8 Republicans who regret the shutdown

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
8 Republicans who regret the government shutdown - The Week

Here, a sampling of Republican lawmakers who think the party would have been better off avoiding the mess in the first place:

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.)
"What the American people have been put through is one of the more shameful chapters that I have seen in the years that I have spent in the Senate."

Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.)
"Shutting down the government was not a smart strategy...I hope we never do this again and I hope we learn our lessons from this."

"If they're saying the defunding issue is going to come up again in three months, then they've learned nothing from this. If we learned nothing else from this exercise, I hope we learned that we shouldn't get behind a strategy that cannot succeed."

Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.)
"This is far less than many of us had hoped for, frankly, but it's far better than what some had sought."

"It's time for Republicans to unite behind other crucial goals."

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.)
"We took some bread crumbs and left an entire meal on the table. This has been a very bad two weeks for the Republican Party."

"We need to stop the bleeding, lessen the damage to the party."

Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.)
"I've said all along, this is madness — it was madness to follow [Sen.] Ted Cruz [R-Texas]. It was absolute madness to say we want to shut down the government, to defund Obamacare. It never made sense and now all we're down to, apparently, is trying to pass a [continuing resolution] to take away health care from congressional employees. That's what we shut down the government for. It makes no sense."

Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.)
"Let's just say sometimes learning what can't be accomplished is an important long-term thing. And hopefully for some of the members they've learned it's impossible to defund mandatory programs by shutting down the federal government."

Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.)

(Nunes, you may remember, previously referred to his GOP colleagues pushing the shutdown as "lemmings with suicide vests.")

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah)
"Too many were led to believe we could accomplish something that was never possible — namely defunding ObamaCare through a government shutdown."

Last edited:

"Too many were led to believe we could accomplish something that was never possible — namely defunding ObamaCare through a government shutdown."

not the only hand, but definitly the losing one.

Did Teapublicans learn a lesson?

Fuck no

:lol:

Mitch has got to be happy. He just got a 2 BILLION dollar bonus for his favorite Kentucky dam project.

So this quote is just too funny. Mitch made out like a bandit selling his vote and soul.

"This is far less than many of us had hoped for, frankly, but it's far better than what some had sought."

I think Allison is going to replace him.

"What rhymes with 'Mitch?'"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BHcRdMxG6o]The Campaign Begins - YouTube[/ame]

Fuck no

They learned the most valuable lesson of all. Who the enemies were in their own party.

Right from the get go I loved this battle because for once and for all it would show exactly where everybody stood.

And the backstabbers are now flushed out front and center and the list is a lot longer than your eight.

Fuck no

They learned the most valuable lesson of all. Who the enemies were in their own party.

Right from the get go I loved this battle because for once and for all it would show exactly where everybody stood.

And the backstabbers are now flushed out front and center and the list is a lot longer than your eight.

Yup. And the more your party can't be unified, the better the chances are for Dems at the polls.

Splinter til you just can't splinter no more, that's what I say!

Fuck no

The TeaTards are the enemy and they have played their last card

They will NEVER be a significant voice again

Fuck no

The TeaTards are the enemy and they have played their last card

They will NEVER be a significant voice again

Either they'll take the party, and we win, or they'll tear the party in two, and we'll win.

This is the classic definition of a win/win.

Fuck no

“Back-stabbers” because they recognized the insanity of the shutdown and the disaster that would be a default?

And it’s true that there are many more republicans who recognize the stupidity of the shutdown, so many, in fact, that you and other reckless, irresponsible extremists belong to a quickly shrinking minority.

Fuck no

The stupidity of you and the other cons who think like you is mind boggling! Let me explain a simple political fact to you that seems to have been forgotten by people like you.
YOU WIN ELECTIONS BY DRAWING PEOPLE INTO YOUR PARTY, NOT BY KICKING THEM OUT OR THROWING THEM UNDER THE BUS.
You want to kick out the people with brains and common sense and keep the idiots like yourself in the party. Here is a thought for you: When a ship sinks it is usually the rats who leave first. The republican party is sinking and it is the people with brains and intelligence who are leaving and it is the rats who are staying behind.

Here, a sampling of Republican lawmakers who think the party would have been better off avoiding the mess in the first place:

"What the American people have been put through is one of the more shameful chapters that I have seen in the years that I have spent in the Senate."

"Shutting down the government was not a smart strategy...I hope we never do this again and I hope we learn our lessons from this."

"If they're saying the defunding issue is going to come up again in three months, then they've learned nothing from this. If we learned nothing else from this exercise, I hope we learned that we shouldn't get behind a strategy that cannot succeed."

"We took some bread crumbs and left an entire meal on the table. This has been a very bad two weeks for the Republican Party."

Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.)
"I've said all along, this is madness — it was madness to follow [Sen.] Ted Cruz [R-Texas]. It was absolute madness to say we want to shut down the government, to defund Obamacare. It never made sense and now all we're down to, apparently, is trying to pass a [continuing resolution] to take away health care from congressional employees. That's what we shut down the government for. It makes no sense."

"Let's just say sometimes learning what can't be accomplished is an important long-term thing. And hopefully for some of the members they've learned it's impossible to defund mandatory programs by shutting down the federal government."

(Nunes, you may remember, previously referred to his GOP colleagues pushing the shutdown as "lemmings with suicide vests.")

You must find it strange to defend the very people you dismissed as right wing extremists just a couple of moneths ago,

Then again, it might be a lot easier to tie yourself into rhetorical knots since you started defending Obama, maybe you didn't notice.

Yup. They fucked up and E*V*E*R*Y*B*O*D*Y saw it happening save them and their followers.

That is a recurring problem for Republicans

They completely misread the 2012 election
They completely misread the Government shutdown

They are out of touch with America today

Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.)

maybe they will get on their knees and beg for your all forgivness..that seems to be what you want..
and now you Democrats make sure you vote for all them in the next election..

Doesn't everyone regret the shutdown? I don't see too many people from either party wishing it would return.

Forum List

Back