Lovebears65

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2011
Georgia
Charges dropped against 80-year-old man who shot intruder - Chicago Tribune

Gun charges against 80-year-old man dropped
Englewood resident shot intruder, unlawfully possessed handgun
April 03, 2012|By Jason Meisner and Lolly Bowean, Chicago Tribune reporters
For more than four decades, Homer "Tank" Wright has run his Englewood tavern with a firm hand like the Army veteran that he is.

A large sign hanging behind the bar reads, "NO PROFANITY OR VULGARITY," a rule he strictly enforces. Wright doesn't allow people to loiter outside his tavern. He monitors the door, only allowing in residents he personally recognizes.

"They know I don't put up with nonsense," said the 80-year-old Wright, who lives in the back of the lounge with his wife.

On Monday, after Cook County prosecutors dropped a weapons charge against him, Wright said he was pleased that his legal troubles were behind him. Last week, the convicted felon was arrested after shooting an early-morning intruder who had broken into his place, sparking outrage among his supportive neighbors and activists.

After court, Wright said he was upset that his .38-caliber handgun was not returned to him by police, leaving him feeling vulnerable in his home and business.

"They have sent me out here to the wolves," he said from the modest bar that is decorated with Christmas lights and a portrait of the late Mayor Harold Washington. "The next time they break in here, I'll have my baseball bat and see what I can do with that. I'm going to do what I have to to protect my wife."

Wright has been robbed at gunpoint and his bar broken into so many times over the years that he moved into the business about a decade ago to keep a closer watch.

"I want a gun to protect me. I don't want to shoot people. I don't bother nobody, and I want to protect myself if somebody bothers me," he said.

Illinois law gives citizens the right to defend themselves if they fear bodily harm. But Wright's past felony weapons convictions made it illegal for him to possess a handgun in his home, prosecutors said last week.

But Monday morning, prosecutors quickly moved to drop the charges against Wright as his family and about a dozen community leaders, activists and residents looked on.

"While the charge was brought in good faith and in accordance with the law, the matter was dismissed today following a thorough review of the totality of the evidence and in the best interests of justice," Sally Daly, a spokeswoman for the state's attorney's office, said in a prepared statement.

Daly declined to elaborate on the reasons for the decision, but legal experts said Wright would have been a sympathetic defendant to prosecute.

At least the charges were dropped.
But, now the whole city knows that he is left unarmed, including those like the perp who are seeking to rob places such as his bar and home.

But, now the whole city knows that he is left unarmed, including those like the perp who are seeking to rob places such as his bar and home.

They also know that even though he is a convicted felon and supposedly unable to get a gun, even under any and all proposed laws, he still had one and isn't afraid to use it.

What are the odds he has a new gun already? I wouldn't bet against it.

For more than four decades, Homer "Tank" Wright has run his Englewood tavern with a firm hand like the Army veteran that he is.

A large sign hanging behind the bar reads, "NO PROFANITY OR VULGARITY," a rule he strictly enforces. Wright doesn't allow people to loiter outside his tavern. He monitors the door, only allowing in residents he personally recognizes.

"They know I don't put up with nonsense," said the 80-year-old Wright, who lives in the back of the lounge with his wife.

On Monday, after Cook County prosecutors dropped a weapons charge against him, Wright said he was pleased that his legal troubles were behind him. Last week, the convicted felon was arrested after shooting an early-morning intruder who had broken into his place, sparking outrage among his supportive neighbors and activists.

After court, Wright said he was upset that his .38-caliber handgun was not returned to him by police, leaving him feeling vulnerable in his home and business.

"They have sent me out here to the wolves," he said from the modest bar that is decorated with Christmas lights and a portrait of the late Mayor Harold Washington. "The next time they break in here, I'll have my baseball bat and see what I can do with that. I'm going to do what I have to to protect my wife."

Wright has been robbed at gunpoint and his bar broken into so many times over the years that he moved into the business about a decade ago to keep a closer watch.

"I want a gun to protect me. I don't want to shoot people. I don't bother nobody, and I want to protect myself if somebody bothers me," he said.

Illinois law gives citizens the right to defend themselves if they fear bodily harm. But Wright's past felony weapons convictions made it illegal for him to possess a handgun in his home, prosecutors said last week.

But Monday morning, prosecutors quickly moved to drop the charges against Wright as his family and about a dozen community leaders, activists and residents looked on.

"While the charge was brought in good faith and in accordance with the law, the matter was dismissed today following a thorough review of the totality of the evidence and in the best interests of justice," Sally Daly, a spokeswoman for the state's attorney's office, said in a prepared statement.

Daly declined to elaborate on the reasons for the decision, but legal experts said Wright would have been a sympathetic defendant to prosecute.
Well that is good but it still sucks he was arrrested in the first place. TO DEFEND HIMSELF.

Well that is good but it still sucks he was arrrested in the first place. TO DEFEND HIMSELF.

They had no choice he is a convicted felon. According to Federal law he can not own a firearm. They also can not give his weapon back, well they could give it to his wife. She could say it is hers now and he would have access to it through her.

One can petition the Secretary of the Treasury to have their right to possess firearms returned. Of course the chance that will happen is so remote why waste the time?

They also know that even though he is a convicted felon and supposedly unable to get a gun, even under any and all proposed laws, he still had one and isn't afraid to use it.

I think the same. Most likely he has another one, or is at least in the process of getting another.
As far as him being a convicted felon, the law is the law..but, he also has the right to protect himself and his home/business..the fact that he had several other break ins and was held at gunpoint during one of those robberies should be taken in consideration.

You think he only had ONE?!

Forum List

Back