Zone1 A Guide to Taoism

Skull

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2016
California
"For the first time, the great depth and diversity of Taoist spirituality is introduced in a single, accessible manual by Eva Wong.
Taoism, known widely today through the teachings of the classic Tao Te Ching and the practices of t’ai chi and feng-shui, is less known for its unique traditions of meditation, physical training, magical practice and internal alchemy. Covering all of the most important texts, figures, and events, this essential guide illuminates Taoism’s extraordinarily rich history and remarkable variety of practice. A comprehensive bibliography for further study completes this valuable reference work."

https://ia600905.us.archive.org/7/items/TaoismEvaWong/Taoism, An Essential Guide - Eva Wong.pdf

"For the first time, the great depth and diversity of Taoist spirituality is introduced in a single, accessible manual by Eva Wong.
Taoism, known widely today through the teachings of the classic Tao Te Ching and the practices of t’ai chi and feng-shui, is less known for its unique traditions of meditation, physical training, magical practice and internal alchemy. Covering all of the most important texts, figures, and events, this essential guide illuminates Taoism’s extraordinarily rich history and remarkable variety of practice. A comprehensive bibliography for further study completes this valuable reference work."

https://ia600905.us.archive.org/7/items/TaoismEvaWong/Taoism, An Essential Guide - Eva Wong.pdf
Well, that didn't go very far. There are a lot of wise sayings in the Tao de Ching. But, they are just sayings. Like the Songs of Solomon or Proverbs. Good ways to look at some things but not fully inspired of God.

Well, that didn't go very far. There are a lot of wise sayings in the Tao de Ching. But, they are just sayings. Like the Songs of Solomon or Proverbs. Good ways to look at some things but not fully inspired of God.
The Tao de Ching is only mentioned in the history part of this book. As part of her Introduction says:

"In this book, you will be traveling through the spiritual terrain
of Taoism. On your journey, you will see shamans dressed in animal skins
dancing the patterns of the stars as they fly to the sky and
tunnel beneath the earth; you will see talismans displaying
symbols of power that are designed to heal, protect, and
ward off malevolent spirits; you will see people sitting,
standing, or sleeping in unusual postures, cultivating the
breath of life and longevity; you will see colorful
tapestries, images of deities and immortals, huge brass
cauldrons, altars with sticks of incense, and oil lamps
burning eternal flames. On this journey, you will see,
etched on bamboo sticks, hexagrams, the symbols of
change, used by diviners to interpret the pattern of events in
the universe; you will also see ordinary people tending the
aged and the sick, teaching the young, and helping others
who are less fortunate than themselves; you will hear the
loud clang of cymbals and drums, the shrill and melodious
sound of flutes, and slow, rhythmic voices chanting to the
beat of a wooden block. You will hear the silence of a
meditation hall, the soft gait of feet walking on the
flagstones of monastic cloisters, and the occasional sound
of a bell amid the rustle of leaves. All these are features in
the spiritual landscape of Taoism—a tradition of wisdom
accumulated over thousands of years that has changed
human consciousness, and yet been changed by it.
This book is a guide, and a guide differs from a textbook
or an anthology of translated texts.
First, a true guide is based on the personal experience of
someone who has traveled the terrain; one cannot write a
guide about places one has not been to. Information
contained in a guide is not based on book knowledge alone
but on experience.
Second, a true guide has a perspective and does not
pretend to be objective. What is seen is never independent
of the observer. As a guide to the spiritual landscape of
Taoism, this book shows things that I have experienced and
enjoyed.
Third, a true guide does not pretend to be complete. Any
landscape, physical or spiritual, is rich beyond imagination.
This book is meant to give you enough information to get
started. It is a map and field guide to a territory; it is not the
territory itself.
Finally, a guide alerts travelers to possible dangers. The
spiritual landscape is both attractive and forbidding, and
travelers need to be aware of hazards along the way.
Therefore, throughout the book, I shall point out which are
the safest paths and which are the hazardous routes in the
spiritual terrain of Taoism.
This book is divided into three parts: History of Taoism,
Systems of Taoism, and Taoist Practices.
"

The Tao de Ching is only mentioned in the history part of this book. As part of her Introduction says:

"In this book, you will be traveling through the spiritual terrain
of Taoism. On your journey, you will see shamans dressed in animal skins
dancing the patterns of the stars as they fly to the sky and
tunnel beneath the earth; you will see talismans displaying
symbols of power that are designed to heal, protect, and
ward off malevolent spirits; you will see people sitting,
standing, or sleeping in unusual postures, cultivating the
breath of life and longevity; you will see colorful
tapestries, images of deities and immortals, huge brass
cauldrons, altars with sticks of incense, and oil lamps
burning eternal flames. On this journey, you will see,
etched on bamboo sticks, hexagrams, the symbols of
change, used by diviners to interpret the pattern of events in
the universe; you will also see ordinary people tending the
aged and the sick, teaching the young, and helping others
who are less fortunate than themselves; you will hear the
loud clang of cymbals and drums, the shrill and melodious
sound of flutes, and slow, rhythmic voices chanting to the
beat of a wooden block. You will hear the silence of a
meditation hall, the soft gait of feet walking on the
flagstones of monastic cloisters, and the occasional sound
of a bell amid the rustle of leaves. All these are features in
the spiritual landscape of Taoism—a tradition of wisdom
accumulated over thousands of years that has changed
human consciousness, and yet been changed by it.
This book is a guide, and a guide differs from a textbook
or an anthology of translated texts.
First, a true guide is based on the personal experience of
someone who has traveled the terrain; one cannot write a
guide about places one has not been to. Information
contained in a guide is not based on book knowledge alone
but on experience.
Second, a true guide has a perspective and does not
pretend to be objective. What is seen is never independent
of the observer. As a guide to the spiritual landscape of
Taoism, this book shows things that I have experienced and
enjoyed.
Third, a true guide does not pretend to be complete. Any
landscape, physical or spiritual, is rich beyond imagination.
This book is meant to give you enough information to get
started. It is a map and field guide to a territory; it is not the
territory itself.
Finally, a guide alerts travelers to possible dangers. The
spiritual landscape is both attractive and forbidding, and
travelers need to be aware of hazards along the way.
Therefore, throughout the book, I shall point out which are
the safest paths and which are the hazardous routes in the
spiritual terrain of Taoism.
This book is divided into three parts: History of Taoism,
Systems of Taoism, and Taoist Practices.
"
Again, lots of wisdom based on experience and observation. However, none brings a soul into the highest degree in heaven. Instead, people get distracted by much of the things observed and experienced. I know this because my Kung Fu instructor got distracted and fell from the grace of God apostasiad and ended up messed up.

Again, lots of wisdom based on experience and observation. However, none brings a soul into the highest degree in heaven. Instead, people get distracted by much of the things observed and experienced. I know this because my Kung Fu instructor got distracted and fell from the grace of God apostasiad and ended up messed up.
I must have more faith in God than you do. I don't restrict the walk of others. God has it under control.

I must have more faith in God than you do. I don't restrict the walk of others. God has it under control.
No, he labeled some of The chosen people of the house of Israel, some Gentiles and some Heathen. Tao is heathen. Right now, we are in the times of the Gentiles. But very close for the house of Judah, the Jews, to receive Christ. Then, after the Millennium, the Heathen nations.

No, he labeled some of The chosen people of the house of Israel, some Gentiles and some Heathen. Tao is heathen. Right now, we are in the times of the Gentiles. But very close for the house of Judah, the Jews, to receive Christ. Then, after the Millennium, the Heathen nations.
I think you embrace the form of religion more than the spirit of God.

Your religion is based upon that not being true.
It's completely based upon the Spirit of God. We even have a song named "The Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning." Why do you lie? Is that what the Tao teaches you to do?

It's completely based upon the Spirit of God. We even have a song named "The Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning." Why do you lie? Is that what the Tao teaches you to do?
Again... your church was founded upon the belief that other churches became separated from God. It's short sighted of you to believe the same couldn't happen to your church assuming it was ever true to begin with.

But if you don't see a problem with embracing the form of religion over the spirit of God, good luck with that.

Again... your church was founded upon the belief that other churches became separated from God. It's short sighted of you to believe the same couldn't happen to your church assuming it was ever true to begin with.

But if you don't see a problem with embracing the form of religion over the spirit of God, good luck with that.
The Church of Jesus Christ did eventually separate itself from Christ in the great apostasy.
However, as Daniel the Prophet said that in the last days, the Church would come back and role forth to cover the earth again. And, that it would not be given to another or aposticize. It would not be separated again.

The Church of Jesus Christ did eventually separate itself from Christ in the great apostasy.
However, as Daniel the Prophet said that in the last days, the Church would come back and role forth to cover the earth again. And, that it would not be given to another or aposticize. It would not be separated again.
And I know you believe this. And that your life revolves around that. It's the most important thing to you. You might as well say your church is God.

Getting messed up and falling from the Grace of God happens to Christians also.
Since the Tao had been lived for over 3000 years before Moses & Jesus, I prefer a long lasting Path that produced many immortals & Sages.

And I know you believe this. And that your life revolves around that. It's the most important thing to you. You might as well say your church is God.
Nope. Our church is the only one with Christ’s authority. And, it’s the only Church that fits with Daniel and other prophets.

Getting messed up and falling from the Grace of God happens to Christians also.
Since the Tao had been lived for over 3000 years before Moses & Jesus, I prefer a long lasting Path that produced many immortals & Sages.
Yea, there have always been heathen and apostates. Good men but blinding people from the truth.

Forum List

Back