A lesson in cause and effect for taxpayers

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
One wonder if this woman will ever get the connection:

The Conservative Wahoo: A liberal's tenuous grip on cause and effect

the applicable quotes:

"I'm at the breaking point," said Gretchin Gardner, an Austin artist who bought a 1930s bungalow in the Bouldin neighborhood just south of downtown in 1991 and has watched her property tax bill soar to $8500 this year.
"It's not because I don't like paying taxes," said Gardner, who attended both meetings [of "irate homeowners"]. "I have voted for every park, every library, all the school improvements, for light rail, for anything that will make this city better. But now I can't afford to live here anymore."

My first thought: "When she reads her own words in the paper Ms. Gardner is going to think: 'Oh, no. I've beclowned myself before the entire city of Austin. My friends will think I'm an idiot.'"
My second thought: "No, that won't happen, because the odds are very high her friends agree with her and see nothing inconsistent with voting for all that big government and expecting their taxes to stay low nonetheless. That's what makes big government go around."

I doubt this woman gets the correlation. She has the typical progressive view that someone else will pay for it, if not in full, then there is someone richer than she is that can be soaked to provide the services she wants.

Forum List

Back