A small trip to the grocery...a large aggravation.

You could be in line behind any college student and they would be buying the same thing. What is the difference between a highly educated 21 yr old buying junk food and an uneducated 21 yr old on food stamps buying the same junk?

None, but there is a huge difference if that junk is being paid for with tax dollars or personal cash.

:eusa_eh:

There is?

I call bullshit on these stories. you have no idea if the person in front of you is using SNAP or not since it is now in debit card form, unless of course that person announces that it is a SNAP debit card.

You could be in line behind any college student and they would be buying the same thing. What is the difference between a highly educated 21 yr old buying junk food and an uneducated 21 yr old on food stamps buying the same junk?

None, but there is a huge difference if that junk is being paid for with tax dollars or personal cash.

Why?

Do you expect the welfare recipient to have a better diet than a college student? If you are going to regulate the diet of one 21 year old, you should legislate the diet of them all.

I call bullshit on these stories. you have no idea if the person in front of you is using SNAP or not since it is now in debit card form, unless of course that person announces that it is a SNAP debit card.

I guess the welfare stories have come full cycle.

It used to be stories of how I was behind a person using food stamps and they were buying filet mignon and lobsters.

Now its Cheetos and bologna

We have all seen it...each time frowning in quiet frustration.
I saw it again today.
I decided to make a tomato-cucumber salad to go with chicken breast I am going to grill, but I didn't have any red onions, or for that matter cucumbers either.
I am standing in the "fast lane" looking at what this women and daughter in front of me were buying.
A quick inventory and I summed up the following:

4 -12 packs of soda pop.
2 - packages of bologna.
1 giant bag of cheese-ball puffs.
1 giant bag of cheese popcorn.
1 loaf of bread.
2 - 1 litre cold coke bottles (guess they can't wait till they get home..need it now)

Annnnd...3 packs of cigarettes.

She mentioned to the clerk to ring up the cigarettes separately. The clerk didn't blink an eye.
Then I understood why - she paid for the junk food and pop with a food stamp card, and the f*cking cigarettes with cash.

Yet another example of wasted taxpayer money.
Man that pisses me off.

Yeah.....you are what you seem..........a cock smoking judgmental prick who because he has it good, doesn't understand why the lazy fucks in front of him are buying what they do...........

Tell ya what.......take 2 tomatoes and balance them on your chin while you choke down an unsliced cucumber down that chicken neck you got.

You're one of them "compassionate conservatives" ain't ya?

I hope your house is infested by bedbugs.

Why?

Do you expect the welfare recipient to have a better diet than a college student? If you are going to regulate the diet of one 21 year old, you should legislate the diet of them all.

I worked in the projects in Nashville for a good while. The thing that is being overlooked here is ability to make good choices. College students will subsist on junk for a time, but they are able to get a good meal or go home to mom's from time to time. A lot of the people I saw as patients couldn't do any better. They didn't have the ability to make really good choices, or to manage the little money they had.

I personally, think it is irresponsible of our government to indiscriminately hand out money and food stamps without assessing the ability of the recipient to meet their needs with it. One horror story wasn't even about food stamps. I know of a homeless couple, one menatlly ill and one mentally retarded. The mentally ill 'cared for' the retarded woman, if you can call living homeless from shelter to shelter caring for. Well, she got a $30,000 settlement from Social Security. For some shithead reason Social Security made him her payee. He gave it all away in less than a week. And they are still homeless. For that amount of money they could have had a lot and a used house trailer to live in.

Issues like this are not red v blue, conservative v liberal. Issues like his inolve a level of responsibility for its decisions that the government refuses to take. It costs us all. But it costs those who have to live like this far worse than it does any of us.

Last edited:

Why?

I am not saying anything about regulating the diets of either. If either of them can pay for their junk food with their own money, that is just fine with me. I dont care what they eat.

I do care if they are buying junk with food stamps.

Why?

I am not saying anything about regulating the diets of either. If either of them can pay for their junk food with their own money, that is just fine with me. I dont care what they eat.

That's it exactly. Particularly if they have children and are shoving nothing but that crap down their kids throats. In the end, we taxpayers end up footing the medical and dental bills. It's one thing if you're a parent who is paying for that crap out of your own pocket. If they're shoving it down their kids throats, and paying for their own healthcare coverage, then that is their business. When it's on our dime, the taxpayers, and they are doing that shit, it's all of our business.

Last edited:

Why?

Where do we draw the line?

What is junk? where do we cut them off? Fresh veggies vs canned?
Should we make them buy generic food? Only dented cans?

After all...its not like they are actually paying

Why?

Junk is subjective.

I consider tofu products to be junk, but others consider it healthy.

Vegetarians consider eggs, beef, chicken, etc, to be junk, but I consider it to be healthy.

Candy is pretty much considered junk, I'll give them that. There are alternatives to soda, like the fruit flavored carbonated waters that cost like 50 cents a piece for a big bottle. They have 0 sugar and 0 sodium. I drink them a lot, as well as flavored seltzer water. So there are alternatives to just flat out soda.

But for the most part, a bag of potato chips is no less healthy than a box of Steak-Ums. I'm not sure how some here view Steak-Ums..

I think the opponents in here need to lay it out and explain exactly what they consider to be "junk". I'm pretty knowledgable about nutrition. I'll challenge anything I think is bullshit.

Junk is subjective.

Vegetarians consider eggs, beef, chicken, etc, to be junk, but I consider it to be healthy.

Candy is pretty much considered junk, I'll give them that. There are alternatives to soda, like the fruit flavored carbonated waters that cost like 50 cents a piece for a big bottle. They have 0 sugar and 0 sodium. I drink them a lot, as well as flavored seltzer water. So there are alternatives to just flat out soda.

But for the most part, a bag of potato chips is no less healthy than a box of Steak-Ums. I'm not sure how some here view Steak-Ums..

I think the opponents in here need to lay it out and explain exactly what they consider to be "junk". I'm pretty knowledgable about nutrition. I'll challenge anything I think is bullshit.

Was gonna pos rep ya but I gotta owe you one until I hit up a couple of others.

Interestingly enough, those flavored waters are CHEAPER than soda, as well as won't rot your teeth like soda as much. Personally? I think that education would be a good thing, because if you can get a 6 pack equivalent for 1/2 the price, you can get other foods that may be more nutritious.

And incidentally for you guys that think junk food is the cause of obesity in the US, I would suggest that you look to video games and television as the real cause.

Me? I eat anything that I don't think will run or bite back first and don't worry much about what is in what I eat. But then again........bicycling at least 10 miles per day has it's own perks! (Like a whole pizza every weekend for football!)

Junk is subjective.

Was gonna pos rep ya but I gotta owe you one until I hit up a couple of others.

Interestingly enough, those flavored waters are CHEAPER than soda, as well as won't rot your teeth like soda as much. Personally? I think that education would be a good thing, because if you can get a 6 pack equivalent for 1/2 the price, you can get other foods that may be more nutritious.

And incidentally for you guys that think junk food is the cause of obesity in the US, I would suggest that you look to video games and television as the real cause.

Me? I eat anything that I don't think will run or bite back first and don't worry much about what is in what I eat. But then again........bicycling at least 10 miles per day has it's own perks! (Like a whole pizza every weekend for football!)
They're idiots, dude.

An active lifestyle with regular exercise trumps "healthy" eating anyday.

I eat whatever the fuck I want and I'm in top shape. But I work out 4 or 5 days a week, and my job is physically strenuous.

You don't have to be a gym rat though. You just have to stay the fuck off your ass.

Junk is subjective.

Good points. Let's generalize that to the main issue: why should the government be in the business of social engineering and income transfering?

All of this hinkyness regarding food stamps being used to buy junk food is due to the SE-IT abomination. We're going to see this attitude go into hyperdrive during the inevitable supply shortages of ObamaCare. Smokers, Drinkers, Fatties, Meat Eaters, Couch Potatoes, Salt Cravers...are all going to be under attack because "We" have to pay for their health care.

Last edited:

Why?

OK. Yeah, same here to a degree. If they don't have the intellectual capacity to make the choice then someone should be in charge of those decisions. And many I see don't have that ability. The will always be on welfare because they are too ill or in some cases too stupid to do anything else. My interaction with this group has not been a theoretical one, as you probably can tell.

Why?

OK. Yeah, same here to a degree. If they don't have the intellectual capacity to make the choice then someone should be in charge of those decisions. And many I see don't have that ability. The will always be on welfare because they are too ill or in some cases too stupid to do anything else. My interaction with this group has not been a theoretical one, as you probably can tell.

I'm sure your clients appreciate you calling them stupid. Good thing you're not judgemental either! :thup:

Junk is subjective.

Good points. Let's generalize that to the main issue: why should the government be in the business of social engineering and income transfering?

All of this hinkyness regarding food stamps being used to buy junk food is due to the SE-IT abomination. We're going to see this attitude go into hyperdrive during the inevitable supply shortages of ObamaCare. Smokers, Drinkers, Fatties, Meat Eaters, Couch Potatoes, Salt Cravers...are all going to be under attack because "We" have to pay for their health care.

Diet is subjective, and is largely related to each individual's physiology.

What is unhealthy for one person, can be completely healthy and even beneficial to another.

It's impossible to create a blanket label and still be fair about it.

I would prefer to err on the side of LIBERTY.

I'm sure your clients appreciate you calling them stupid. Good thing you're not judgemental either! :thup:

Well hey, until you have walked in shoes ...........and all that. :rolleyes:

I am still out there doing service to humanity. What are you doing? Taking names and kicking ass on a message board. That's just plum funny in comparison!

Last edited:

Well hey, until you have walked in shoes ...........and all that. :rolleyes:

You have no idea the kind of people I work around, thus the reason I'm calling you out for your judgemental remarks. Funny how people love to lump an entire group of people into "stupid" or "lazy" because of their bias.

polls_soylent_green_749218_3043_961720_answer_2_xlarge.gif

Forum List

Back