Abortion, the voting act and partisanship

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Yes, Democrats, we've caught the irony of you guys claiming we're anti-education and anti-science and anti-fact, while you cling to laws based on outdated 40-year-old information and call us rapists and racists for proposing that we revisit the laws using updated information.

Liberal: (Calls the phone of Reality)

(rings)

(rings)

Reality's answering machine: I'm sorry I can't come to the phone right now; but if you will leave your name, number, and dimension of residence, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

(beeeeeeep!)

(Liberal hangs up)

Liberal: AUUGH!! Reality is racist and bigoted and misogynistic!!! It's never there when I need it!!!

Last edited:
  • Banned
Edit: in response to posts no longer here -- The OP was just a simple observation.

On abortion, (some) Democrats have said some horrible things about people who want to take into account medical advances which have redefined viability and which may give us new information about when fetuses feel pain. They've accused Republicans of virtual rape for wanted to change the 24-week line decreed 40 years ago to a 20-week line based on this new information.

On voting rights, (some) Democrats are declaring that it sets the civil rights movement back as much as 150 years to consider current information about where voting inequities are occurring instead of using 40-year-old information to keep some states on a short leash while other states might need more scrutiny.

The hyperbole is deafening ... and ironic ... considering how (some) Democrats claim Republicans are stuck in the last century (or worse) and not open to new information.

Last edited:
Edit: in response to posts no longer here -- The OP was just a simple observation.

On abortion, (some) Democrats have said some horrible things about people who want to take into account medical advances which have redefined viability and which may give us new information about when fetuses feel pain. They've accused Republicans of virtual rape for wanted to change the 24-week line decreed 40 years ago to a 20-week line based on this new information.

On voting rights, (some) Democrats are declaring that it sets the civil rights movement back as much as 150 years to consider current information about where voting inequities are occurring instead of using 40-year-old information to keep some states on a short leash while other states might need more scrutiny.

The hyperbole is deafening ... and ironic ... considering how (some) Democrats claim Republicans are stuck in the last century (or worse) and not open to new information.

(Some) specifics would be nice. Any officials on record as saying either of the above? A few quotes would help create (some) basis for discussion.

• Banned
Google "travesty" to get a little bit of flavor. Here's one example:

Clarence B. Jones: The Supreme Court's Ruling on the Voting Rights Act Is a Travesty of Justice

If you haven't called it an injustice to say that updated information should be used to detect pockets of discrimination, then good for you. It happened a lot yesterday.

And this is the kind of thing which was said about the abortion bill recently passed by the House: "What's being done with this bill is nothing more than political rape." Because revisiting the arbitrary line mentioned in the Roe v. Wade based on new information about fetal pain and on recent successes with saving younger and younger preemies would be " stepping backwards into the '50s and '60s and repeating past mistakes". It's a direct quote from something I read elsewhere. I haven't spent much time reading abortion threads here, so I don't have any quotes from here.

Google "travesty" to get a little bit of flavor. Here's one example:

Clarence B. Jones: The Supreme Court's Ruling on the Voting Rights Act Is a Travesty of Justice

If you haven't called it an injustice to say that updated information should be used to detect pockets of discrimination, then good for you. It happened a lot yesterday.

And this is the kind of thing which was said about the abortion bill recently passed by the House: "What's being done with this bill is nothing more than political rape." Because revisiting the arbitrary line mentioned in the Roe v. Wade based on new information about fetal pain and on recent successes with saving younger and younger preemies would be " stepping backwards into the '50s and '60s and repeating past mistakes". It's a direct quote from something I read elsewhere. I haven't spent much time reading abortion threads here, so I don't have any quotes from here.

Thank you. As we both know, people across the political spectrum say ridiculous things every day. Especially if it gets more votes or sells more papers.

Forum List

Back