ACA surcharge on Restaurant Tab?

Very true

There are dozens of expenses that are higher than what they pay for health insurance and yet we don't see any "surcharges" for those

Hey, you want to make a "This establishment hates Obama" statement? Go ahead. It may help you with conservatives. But I don't think they are going to enjoy paying that surcharge for long

Those other "expenses" have been around forever. Being forced to provide healthcare to employees is a new concept.

So?

So whats the harm of pointing out a forced expense in a service based industry to a customer? If Obamacare is so fucking awesome, shouldn't people be A-OK with a 1% surcharge on their bill?

I've always thought that all Government taxes, surcharges and fees should be listed on all receipts. But then again, your receipt for a pack of gum would likely be 3 feet long.

as for a charge for health care as a extra tax ... in a situation like that I would deduct that tax from my bill ... then I would inform the manger and owner, that I would no longer patronize their business ... enough people doing this they will get the message .... the restaurant that does this I will go to the web site where restaurants are scrutinized on their food and service and let them and the entire state know what they are doing ... you see unless they state on their menu or when you are seated, you're not responsible for paying that cost to your meal ... there isn't any reason for them to do that at all ...

now for your numbers .... I as a single person applying for insurance Pay 250 a month ... now my plan is equivalent to any group plan they have now... if anything they would pay less because of the group plan ... for me thats 3,000 dollars a year Emily ... this bill affects companies who have 50 or more people ... at 50 people working for you that's a 150,000 dollars a year that a restaurant pays for health care for 50 people or more @ 250. a month ... the number of 500,000 dollars a year is way off for 50 people ....that's more like 166 people Emily ... in the case of the restaurant getting 160,000 dollars for you sharing the cost of health care with them .. you get to pay the company of 50, 10,000 in profit ... other words emily you're paying for the whole ball of wax ... just because some company doesn't want to pay for health care for their employees ... that's it in a nut shell ... a right wing nut shell ... do they really take us for being stupid emily ??? or is it just you they take

Thanks Billy: I was just asking for best case/worst case scenarios that can be confirmed.

You know that people are arguing this is still better for covering 49 billion in costs from unpaid hospital and ER that otherwise gets pushed onto the debts for taxpayers.

My REAL argument, Billy, is to set up ways for the peole RESPONSIBLE for the 49 billion to pay their bill. So yes, if THOSE PEOPLE need to be under insurance mandates to pay, hold THEM to it.

But don't push this onto people who don't need or want mandates to pay for our costs.

so my argument is independent of what costs more or less.
my argument is to charge the people responsible, not push it onto others,
no matter how much this may or may not save, it is still wrong.

just because it is cheaper to charge nightclubs more fines to get tax revenue to cover costs,
doesn't make it fair to charge them instead of people RESPONSIBLE for murders and shootings that rack up public costs and/or put people in the hospital. if it costs more to go after thee people, charge them the extra. maybe that will act as a deterrent.

but quit m aking lawabiding citizens pay who don't have any intent of committing crimes or frauds; just because it is easier to mandate and charge us doesn't make it lawful to do so.

I wouldn't put up the surcharge, I'd increase every food item, 5%-10%, and not say why. Liberals would rather you lie to them , than tell you tell them the truth.

They could put on the menu that they are charging more due to wanting to help the environment, liberals would be a lot happier and business would grow.

I wouldn't put up the surcharge, I'd increase every food item, 5%-10%, and not say why. Liberals would rather you lie to them , than tell you tell them the truth.

They could put on the menu that they are charging more due to wanting to help the environment, liberals would be a lot happier and business would grow.

Why don't you double the prices and blame Obamacare?

conservatives would believe it

Any Restaurant is free to add any charges to the bill as long as they notify the patron upfront

If the want to add a surcharge for what they pay for employee insurance ...Do it
If they want to add a surcharge because the price of food went up....Do it
If they want to add a surcharge because their rent went up...Do it

Just don't be surprised if your customers think you are being petty and eat at places that don't have a surcharge

I agree they have every right to, but I also have the righ tto inform people in what they are doing ... I can also refuse to pay it too ... have me arrested ... have me go to court ... have me call up the local news and tell the news caster what I was arrested for ... as they close their doors, I will be the guy out side of their restaurant, with a protest sign, smilling ear to ear when the put up the sign "GONE OUT OF BUSINESS" because of their right wing nut business practices ...

Go for it.

Would you like all the legal precedents in California where people who refused to pay a health care service charge were convicted of a crime? Yet there are still people that go into restaurants, see the bill, and then act like it is an option.

you're going to have to prove your claim here because the only states that are doing it so far are east coast states ... another right wing nut case trying to pump up their flat chest ... with no chest to pump ....:D

Because of course, a buisiness owner making money is being "petty"

The increased costs have to be paid from somewhere. Why should a buisiness owner be forced to make less profit because of what the government is forcing him or her to do?

Why do progressives hate people who actually build and create stuff?

you sure do assume a lot don't you ... you assume they will pay more ... so far the companies that have sign on, which by they way they aren't required too at this time ... they all have said they are paying less in health care cost then they were prior to obama care ... so does that meant the employees get a raise ??? or does it mean that the owner puts more money in his pocket ??? you tell us!!!! being you republicans are the fair ones ...

You got a link for all the shit you are spewing?

yes ... it called google ... try it, then come back and whine about it ... other wise shut the fuck up...

Those other "expenses" have been around forever. Being forced to provide healthcare to employees is a new concept.

So?

So whats the harm of pointing out a forced expense in a service based industry to a customer? If Obamacare is so fucking awesome, shouldn't people be A-OK with a 1% surcharge on their bill?

no... the shouldn't be ok with it ..... if they have a problem paying for health care, raise the prices on their product and services ... don't come here and say were raising the cost because they're have to pay for health care ...now that's just them whining because they now have to do the right thing .. instead of pocketing all their profits, which by the way their employees create for them, without these employees they wouldn't have a company ... so its time for them to pay up...

as for a charge for health care as a extra tax ... in a situation like that I would deduct that tax from my bill ... then I would inform the manger and owner, that I would no longer patronize their business ... enough people doing this they will get the message .... the restaurant that does this I will go to the web site where restaurants are scrutinized on their food and service and let them and the entire state know what they are doing ... you see unless they state on their menu or when you are seated, you're not responsible for paying that cost to your meal ... there isn't any reason for them to do that at all ...

now for your numbers .... I as a single person applying for insurance Pay 250 a month ... now my plan is equivalent to any group plan they have now... if anything they would pay less because of the group plan ... for me thats 3,000 dollars a year Emily ... this bill affects companies who have 50 or more people ... at 50 people working for you that's a 150,000 dollars a year that a restaurant pays for health care for 50 people or more @ 250. a month ... the number of 500,000 dollars a year is way off for 50 people ....that's more like 166 people Emily ... in the case of the restaurant getting 160,000 dollars for you sharing the cost of health care with them .. you get to pay the company of 50, 10,000 in profit ... other words emily you're paying for the whole ball of wax ... just because some company doesn't want to pay for health care for their employees ... that's it in a nut shell ... a right wing nut shell ... do they really take us for being stupid emily ??? or is it just you they take

Thanks Billy: I was just asking for best case/worst case scenarios that can be confirmed.

You know that people are arguing this is still better for covering 49 billion in costs from unpaid hospital and ER that otherwise gets pushed onto the debts for taxpayers.

My REAL argument, Billy, is to set up ways for the peole RESPONSIBLE for the 49 billion to pay their bill. So yes, if THOSE PEOPLE need to be under insurance mandates to pay, hold THEM to it.

But don't push this onto people who don't need or want mandates to pay for our costs.

so my argument is independent of what costs more or less.
my argument is to charge the people responsible, not push it onto others,
no matter how much this may or may not save, it is still wrong.

just because it is cheaper to charge nightclubs more fines to get tax revenue to cover costs,
doesn't make it fair to charge them instead of people RESPONSIBLE for murders and shootings that rack up public costs and/or put people in the hospital. if it costs more to go after thee people, charge them the extra. maybe that will act as a deterrent.

now here you went off the deep end again ....this has nothing to do about anything with health care ...

but quit m aking lawabiding citizens pay who don't have any intent of committing crimes or frauds; just because it is easier to mandate and charge us doesn't make it lawful to do so.

you are whacked out here ... your comparison is hysterical at best ... crimes and health care cost hasn't any correlation at all

your argument is weak ... you said don't push mandates on people who don't need or want mandates to pay for our costs. ... if you don't have a mandate for everybody to have health insurance then how does the bill get paid for when these people who aren't being mandated to have health care ... do they continue to go to the emergency room for health care at a cost of everybody else cause you don't like mandates ??? that we who do have insurance pay for its cost increase ??? just because you didn't want a mandate for all to have insurance ??? you mandate them to have insurance then every body is taken care of and the hospital gets paid too... as for companies putting in a surcharge and calling it a OBAMA care surcharge is them grand stand nothing more... your point here is very weak at best and kind of screw up thinking ...

so who care weather we know or not ... only a right wing nut case company would say they are raising their cost because of health care ... that's their way of grand standing ... saying see you get to pay my cost for health care .... we as a consumer get to say fine, we won't do business with you anymore ... its that simple ... as for not knowing why it went up who cares it only benefits your types ... as why it went up ??? its call the cost of doing business ... were supposed to be concerned why??? every time a company raised their rates why??? liberals have more important things to think about then being worried that a right wing nut case owner raised their rates ... I mean really ...

P.S.
think about it ... a restaurant raise their rates by 1% and we are supposed to be mad because the raised their rates 1% ... when every year do to the lack of people having health care they cost us 20% im in rising health care cost ... so which is it republicans ... pay 1% or 20% ...you make the call!!!!

Last edited:
I agree they have every right to, but I also have the righ tto inform people in what they are doing ... I can also refuse to pay it too ... have me arrested ... have me go to court ... have me call up the local news and tell the news caster what I was arrested for ... as they close their doors, I will be the guy out side of their restaurant, with a protest sign, smilling ear to ear when the put up the sign "GONE OUT OF BUSINESS" because of their right wing nut business practices ...

Go for it.

Would you like all the legal precedents in California where people who refused to pay a health care service charge were convicted of a crime? Yet there are still people that go into restaurants, see the bill, and then act like it is an option.

you're going to have to prove your claim here because the only states that are doing it so far are east coast states ... another right wing nut case trying to pump up their flat chest ... with no chest to pump ....:D

Do you feel like an ignorant hick? You should, San Francisco has had mandatory health insurance for years, and quite a few restaurants tack a fee onto the bill to cover it.

San Francisco: Decoding the "healthy surcharge" | Budget Travel's Blog | Travel Deals, Travel Tips, Travel Advice, Vacation Ideas

no... the shouldn't be ok with it ..... if they have a problem paying for health care, raise the prices on their product and services ... don't come here and say were raising the cost because they're have to pay for health care ...now that's just them whining because they now have to do the right thing .. instead of pocketing all their profits, which by the way their employees create for them, without these employees they wouldn't have a company ... so its time for them to pay up...

Why? Do you have some sort of problem with people actually knowing that they have to pay for the shit you think is good for them? Personally, I would mandate that all taxes and fees by figured separately so that people can see just how much government regulations cost them. The only conceivable reason I can see to oppose that is if you think it might hurt the government.

Forum List

Back