ACLU and democrat leaders at odds over use of terror watch lists

thereisnospoon

Gold Member
Apr 11, 2010
A Senate bill which proposes to use No Fly lists and other terror watch lists is being opposed by the ACLU.
The bill sponsored by Sens. Susan Collins( R-ME) and Harry Reid( D-NV) is a compromise bill originally rproosed by Sen Diane Feinstein( D-CA)....
The ACLU "strongly opposes" any such bill.
I find it odd that those on the political left up in arms over lack of gun control action cannot first get their alleged political allies in line. This is political Standard Operating Procedure. It is done across the board.
ACLU ‘Strongly’ Opposes Latest Bipartisan Effort to Ban Those on Terror Watch Lists From Purchasing Guns

A Senate bill which proposes to use No Fly lists and other terror watch lists is being opposed by the ACLU.
The bill sponsored by Sens. Susan Collins( R-ME) and Harry Reid( D-NV) is a compromise bill originally rproosed by Sen Diane Feinstein( D-CA)....
I find it odd that those on the political left up in arms over lack of gun control action cannot first get their alleged political allies in line. This is political Standard Operating Procedure. It is done across the board.
ACLU ‘Strongly’ Opposes Latest Bipartisan Effort to Ban Those on Terror Watch Lists From Purchasing Guns
If for no other reason, the legislation should be passed to expose these watch lists. Most people find out they are on a watch list when they try to travel, apply for passport, or a job. There is so much secrecy surrounding watch lists that it can be very difficult to find out why you are on a watch list and once on a watch list it is nearly impossible to get off of it.

I don't think the problem lies in this legislation. It's the government's total disregard of the constitution in regard to these watch lists. Americans have been sold on the idea that we must give up due process in the name of security which is not true. We just need mechanisms built into the law that will protect our rights.

Oh look, now the ACLU are good guys.
I neither stated nor implied that. The point here is that one ultra liberal group is at odds with another ultra liberal group.
The sub p;lot is that the Senators who are sponsoring the bill apparently jumped the gun and introduced the bill before getting their normal support groups lined up.
That is political ineptitude.
the ACLU is a far left wing political organization. Fuck 'em......

If for no other reason, the legislation should be passed to expose these watch lists. Most people find out they are on a watch list when they try to travel, apply for passport, or a job. There is so much secrecy surrounding watch lists that it can be very difficult to find out why you are on a watch list and once on a watch list it is nearly impossible to get off of it.

I don't think the problem lies in this legislation. It's the government's total disregard of the constitution in regard to these watch lists. Americans have been sold on the idea that we must give up due process in the name of security which is not true. We just need mechanisms built into the law that will protect our rights.
I don't know. If a person knows they are being watched, they may go underground, making them more difficult to watch....I watch crime shows such as the first 48. When detectives are looking for a suspect, they keep that fact out of the view of the public. That is to make the suspect more comfortable. To let down his or her guard. Soon they make a mistake. So I kind of sit on the fence with this one.

The ACLU exists to defend civil liberties and people's rights. That it's usually republicans who are under fire from them is telling about the GOP, not the ACLU.
In theory. In practice the ACLU comes down on the side of liberal causes.
That's a FACT.
The ACLU is not a party organization. The ACLU has an obvious liberal ideological bias. The ACLU sues churches. They sue municipal governments. They sue states over road projects. They sue homeowners because some hand wringing ninny claims they are offended by the American flag.
Now just cut out the bullshit.

The ACLU was a great organization, but they started getting involved in forcing people to do things via government action, instead of their original goal, which was to have government leave people the hell alone when it came to their civil rights.

Its nice to see them bucking back for a change.

I neither stated nor implied that. The point here is that one ultra liberal group is at odds with another ultra liberal group.
The sub p;lot is that the Senators who are sponsoring the bill apparently jumped the gun and introduced the bill before getting their normal support groups lined up.

Here's the thing. The ISIS supporting liberals want anyone on a "no fly" list to Lose their second amendment rights without due process.

My belief on the idea is that it's bullshit - just like they are. They'll load the list with as many conservatives as they can get away with and claim "the list is private" thereby disallowing Americans their right to Due Process. It kills two birds with one action and brings us that much closer to the tyranny they long for.

The American Communist Liberal Union is merely saying - this ain't gonna fly - which you might normally say is right. But let Hillary "the murderer" win in November and load the SCOTUS with her "pals".

You might effectively kiss Due Process goodbye in this country.

I don't know. If a person knows they are being watched, they may go underground, making them more difficult to watch....I watch crime shows such as the first 48. When detectives are looking for a suspect, they keep that fact out of the view of the public. That is to make the suspect more comfortable. To let down his or her guard. Soon they make a mistake. So I kind of sit on the fence with this one.
Being on the watch list, doesn't mean you're going to have an FBI agent following you. It's mostly a computer watch list, electronic monitoring of your electronic footprint which means possible monitoring of computer texting, emails, phone calls, internet activity, and financial transactions. This can also include limiting your travel, denial of application for work for a government agency or denial of just about anything that involves government.

Most Americans would be surprised at how easy it is to get on a watch list. Simply traveling to the wrong the countries, criticism of the government policies, having a name similar to someone on the no fly list, etc... I better stop here.

Being on the watch list, doesn't mean you're going to have an FBI agent following you. It's mostly a computer watch list, electronic monitoring of your electronic footprint which means possible monitoring of computer texting, emails, phone calls, internet activity, and financial transactions. This can also include limiting your travel, denial of application for work for a government agency or denial of just about anything that involves government.

Most Americans would be surprised at how easy it is to get on a watch list. Simply traveling to the wrong the countries, criticism of the government policies, having a name similar to someone on the no fly list, etc... I better stop here.
Or.... Serving in the military.

Aha you think simply shouting ULTRA LIBERAL means something. It doesnt, aha

All the watch lists are clear violations of the 5th and 6th amendments, I'd like to know why no one is talking about that.

Aha you think simply shouting ULTRA LIBERAL means something. It doesnt, aha
If the shoe fits.
Too bad, Own it.

Forum List

Back