ACLU: Blacks 9x more likely for pot arrest in Manhattan/Brooklyn

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
ACLU: Blacks Nine Times More Likely For Marijuana Arrest In Manhattan, Brooklyn « CBS New York

He said blacks were usually almost four times as likely to be arrested for marijuana possession. In some states, such as Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota, and in Washington, D.C., blacks were eight times more likely to be arrested.

What about New Jersey, Connecticut, and New York?

“We had seen that disparity in Manhattan and in Brooklyn, where blacks were nine times as likely to be arrested as whites,” Edwards said. “But we saw these disparities we didn’t know about.”

I can see two factors affecting this number. The first is that there are more police in black neighborhoods, and 2nd the different culture of pot use between black smokers and white smokers.

In a black neighborhood people are blazing up on the streets and sidewalks. White people hide in their houses, lower the shades, burn some incense, and use a "spoof"

I tried explaining what a spoof was to one of my black co-workers who smoked, he started laughing his ass off. We made ours out of plastic soda bottles.

Spoof

usually a cardboard tube between 1 and 2 feet long (tho it can be pvc or something else) with one end stuffed with anti-static dryer sheets and secured so the sheets stay in place. used for smoking doob in the dorm or at mom & dad's place when you need to disguise the odor.

Not surprising at all considering the amount and degree of mayhem taking place daily on the streets in black neighborhoods. Then layer in stupidity like walking around with a lit blunt in broad daylight and it's no wonder the street cred losers are getting busted. But, yeah, it's all whiteys fault.

Not surprising at all considering the amount and degree of mayhem taking place daily on the streets in black neighborhoods. Then layer in stupidity like walking around with a lit blunt in broad daylight and it's no wonder the street cred losers are getting busted. But, yeah, it's all whiteys fault.

The stop and search policy of the NYPD might have something to do with it.

It might be since the ACLU likes to throw around stats maybe they could include all of them.

That's a large part of it.

Also, they are less likely to pursue charges against people who are white.

proof?

proof?

The NYPD does not deny it.

Pursuing charges is up to the DA's office, not the police. The simple fact is since minorities are overrepresented when it comes to % of criminals, there is more of a chance a black person is a repeat offender, and thus will have less "play" when it comes to pleaing down.

Couldn't be maybe that more blacks smoke pot than whites ?

Well no.

It's basically a profiling thing.

I thought you folks were against, profiling.

Oh wait.

:lol:

How do you know it's profiling? About ten years ago or so there was all of this hullabaloo in New Jersey about blacks receiving speeding tickets on the highway compared to whites by a 2 to 1 ratio and everyone was screaming discrimination. The state of New Jersey then commissioned a study and found out that blacks were actually speeding at twice the rate of whites.

Last edited:

When I was working in those prisons, I learned that blacks don't use meth at all. You rarely if ever see a black meth user. They consider it too low class for themselves. That, and if their teeth rot out they can't use those gold caps.

When I was working in those prisons, I learned that blacks don't use meth at all. You rarely if ever see a black meth user. They consider it too low class for themselves. That, and if their teeth rot out they can't use those gold caps.

Crack was primarily a black lower class thing, so meth is the white equivalent.

Forum List

Back