Activists for illegals offended by restaurant sign

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Ahh, po babies, did they get their feewings hurt ? :boohoo:

Illegal Immigrants Could Be Offended By Restaurant Name, Activists Say: Owner Isn’t Changing It

Illegal immigrants could be offended by the name of a Mexican restaurant in Denver, Colorado, activists claim, and that alone should give the owner motivation to change it.
However, owner Pete Turner says it isn’t going to happen. Turner said he appreciated the concern shown over the name, but ultimately, it means too much to him.
“When it came to the name Illegal Pete’s, I settled on the name of a bar in a novel,” he said in comments to Fox News. “The name resonated with me for the obvious reason that my name is Pete, but of equal importance, it was my father’s name.”
The name has nothing to do with making fun of illegal immigrants and more to do with his father, who had a reputation as a “good-natured hell raiser.”
In October, local activists from Fort Collins, Colorado, comprised of CSU and Front Range students, professors, and instructors, met with Turner and shared their concerns, claiming “illegal” is “inappropriate for use when describing a person.”
Columnist Sally Kohn said as much in a story earlier this year, as reported by the Inquisitr, in which she said referring to a people as illegal immigrants was like calling African-Americans the n-word.
The group behind the meeting — We Are Not Illegal — admitted that it was “disappointed” by Turner’s refusal to change the name.
“Rather than responding to the group’s concerns, Turner chose to spend six pages enumerating the things he has done for the community and his track record as an employer, things that the group never called into question,” they wrote in a statement.
How does Turner’s Hispanic general manager at Illegal Pete’s, Milton Guevara, feel about the name?
“I’m Hispanic, and I’m very proud to be,” Guevara, told KDVR. “People come to us because they love our food… The name doesn’t mean anything.”
The company blog has been very self aware of the ongoing issue and released this statement on November 7.
“We are so thankful for all the support we’ve gotten from people across the country. But we also respect the voices of those who have differing opinions than we do. We respect all types of people and all feelings as valid; and we hope all parties will avoid adding hostility to the discussion. We can disagree, but let’s not be turds about it. Okay? This kind of conversation’s what makes a nation great. That, and burritos.”
Do you think the term “illegal immigrants” is offensive?

Read more at Illegal Immigrants Could Be Offended By Restaurant Name Activists Say Owner Isn 8217 t Changing It

Illegal Immigrants Could Be Offended By Restaurant Name, Activists Say: Owner Isn’t Changing It

Illegal immigrants could be offended by the name of a Mexican restaurant in Denver, Colorado, activists claim, and that alone should give the owner motivation to change it.
However, owner Pete Turner says it isn’t going to happen. Turner said he appreciated the concern shown over the name, but ultimately, it means too much to him.
“When it came to the name Illegal Pete’s, I settled on the name of a bar in a novel,” he said in comments to Fox News. “The name resonated with me for the obvious reason that my name is Pete, but of equal importance, it was my father’s name.”
The name has nothing to do with making fun of illegal immigrants and more to do with his father, who had a reputation as a “good-natured hell raiser.”
In October, local activists from Fort Collins, Colorado, comprised of CSU and Front Range students, professors, and instructors, met with Turner and shared their concerns, claiming “illegal” is “inappropriate for use when describing a person.”
Columnist Sally Kohn said as much in a story earlier this year, as reported by the Inquisitr, in which she said referring to a people as illegal immigrants was like calling African-Americans the n-word.
The group behind the meeting — We Are Not Illegal — admitted that it was “disappointed” by Turner’s refusal to change the name.
“Rather than responding to the group’s concerns, Turner chose to spend six pages enumerating the things he has done for the community and his track record as an employer, things that the group never called into question,” they wrote in a statement.
How does Turner’s Hispanic general manager at Illegal Pete’s, Milton Guevara, feel about the name?
“I’m Hispanic, and I’m very proud to be,” Guevara, told KDVR. “People come to us because they love our food… The name doesn’t mean anything.”
The company blog has been very self aware of the ongoing issue and released this statement on November 7.
“We are so thankful for all the support we’ve gotten from people across the country. But we also respect the voices of those who have differing opinions than we do. We respect all types of people and all feelings as valid; and we hope all parties will avoid adding hostility to the discussion. We can disagree, but let’s not be turds about it. Okay? This kind of conversation’s what makes a nation great. That, and burritos.”

Read more at Illegal Immigrants Could Be Offended By Restaurant Name Activists Say Owner Isn 8217 t Changing It

Illegal immigrants could be offended by the name of a Mexican restaurant in Denver, Colorado

As long as the illegal aliens aren't offended, I'm okay with it.

Illegal immigrants could be offended by the name of a Mexican restaurant in Denver, Colorado

As long as the illegal aliens aren't offended, I'm okay with it.

I could give a fuck if their offended. If they are, they're welcome to go back where they came from, which is where they should be dragged back to anyway !

he should post this in his window
10154990_864265273604322_990683994504335530_n.jpg
with a sombrero on his head

Good now they are getting a taste of the "latinos" marching in and demanding things be done because they find a frikken name of a Restaurant OFFENSIVE

can you even believe this shit

Excellent picture. It makes me think of those posters who cry over being called "gay" or being picked on by "mean girls".

As far as I know the name of the restaurant Illegal Pete's has something to do with his father and nothing to do with illegal aliens.

But what the hell. Some one some where as I post this post will be offended by something.

I ran weekend dorm maintenance every three weeks. The calls came to me regularly at bar close.

I mean seriously....who gives a flying F...about what illegals think?????

My God who cares????????????????????????

Excellent picture. It makes me think of those posters who cry over being called "gay" or being picked on by "mean girls".
Everybody gets offended nowadays if you say boo!

Makes you puke! :puke:

Your reference to puking so soon after dinner offends me.

; - )

As always, its in the eye of the beholder.

The same RWs who make fun of other people's feelings will screech the loudest when they're on the receiving end.

Maybe we would all be better off if we walked a mile in each other's shoes.

snip:

Owner of Mexican restaurant 'Illegal Pete's' won't change name 'offensive to immigrants' because it memorializes his father who died of cancer
  • The restaurant in Denver, Colorado has been named Illegal Pete's for years and owner Pete Turner says the name wasn't meant to offend
  • Pete wrote on the restaurant's website that when he was opening the restaurant, his father, also named Pete, was battling cancer
  • Last month, Colorado residents urged Pete to change the name of his business due to its 'social context' but he says he won't budge
By Alexandra Klausner for MailOnline and Charlene Adams
Published: 18:19 EST, 7 November 2014 | Updated: 13:27 EST, 8 November 2014

comments

A Mexican restaurant owner says he won't change the name of his establishment some community members find offensive to illegal immigrants.
The restaurant in Denver, Colorado has been named Illegal Pete's for many years and owner Pete Turner says the name wasn't meant to offend and was named after his rambunctious father with whom he shared a name.
Turner wrote a blog post on the restaurant's website saying that he 'appreciates' the community's concern but says that they vastly misunderstood the meaning of his restaurant's name and what it stands for.

Illegal Pete: Pete Turner said he never meant to offend illegal immigrants and that the restaurant is named after his father and after a bar in a novel he read as an English major at the University of Boulder
'When it came to the name Illegal Pete’s, I settled on the name of a bar in a novel. The name resonated with me for the obvious reason that my name is Pete, but of equal importance, it was my father’s name.'
Pete wrote on the restaurant's website that when he was opening the restaurant, his father was battling cancer.

all of it here:
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2826106/Owner-Mexican-restaurant-Illegal-Pete-s-won-t-change-offensive-immigrants-memorializes-father-died-cancer.html#ixzz3IcmTxfcR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Forum List

Back