Actor Alec Baldwin fired prop gun on set of ‘Rust’ that killed cinematographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
All accidental gun deaths are ignorance.
Never point any gun directly at anyone.
Anyone who would not follow this simple rule can't ever touch any gun or simulated gun.

The Brandon death took 2 steps.
First a bullet was pushed into the barrel under the force of just a primer.
Then later a blanc charge was used, but they did not know a bullet was already stuck in the barrel.
The gun should have been examined between uses, and this discovered.

This case is weird because 2 people were shot.
That means it is possible the gun exploded?

Bullet went through the first victim, and stopped in the 2nd.

Some are modified to fire blanks, especially automatics that may need the gasses supressed to cycle eject and load at lower gas pressure or recoil strength, but all are still dangerous. They have killed actors from time to time. First I remember was Pete Duel, starring on the set of Alias Smith and Jones, all the way back in 1971, clowning around pointing his prop .46 six-shooter at his own head and the blank killed him.
Pete Duel shot himself at his home in a suicide. You may be thinking of another actor.

"killing someone in cold blood"................of course, we know why certain posters are holding Baldwin responsible.

You never point a gun that is capable of firing at someone and pull the trigger, loaded or not.

Yeah, I'm positive. For non action scenes they use softair guns which have no CO2 in them but if it's a scene where the gun shoots, it's a real firearm.

Seems like they could make a prop gun that looks real and does not accept a live round. Maybe this is your calling?

Seems like they could make a prop gun that looks real and does not accept a live round. Maybe this is your calling?

They have done a few of those, but they are expensive and ultimately don't pay for themselves. Part of the problem with that are ATF regs.

The actors should be trained on gun safety if they are handling a weapon on set. Period. You should never assume anything when it comes to a firearm.

They are. At least good propmasters do that with every actor.

He's guilty of killing someone with a firearm. It's for the courts to decide if it's intentional, unintentional, or something in between. Regardless, it's a homicide. He should be held to account just like anyone else would be.

Totally and completely wrong.
The fact there was a death does not at all mean it has to or should be prosecuted at all.
And the one MOST accountable is the prop guy who handed him the prop gun.

They have done a few of those, but they are expensive and ultimately don't pay for themselves. Part of the problem with that are ATF regs.

I bought a prop gun once that had been converted to propane, so it still had a flash.
Very hard to convert back.
Must have cost thousands for them to make.
Real guns do not cost anything because you buy used and resell for same or more if signed.

I bought a prop gun once that had been converted to propane, so it still had a flash.
Very hard to convert back.
Must have cost thousands for them to make.
Real guns do not cost anything because you buy used and resell for same or more if signed.

Propane guns are built from the ground up as propane guns. They are built for the reenacting community.

The only usage of propane in movies is for ordnance. Cannons for those of you who don't know what ordnance is.

He may have some responsibility as a producer on the film, but the prop master is the one directly responsible for that weapon ..........
I'm perfectly O.K. with criminal conspiracy.

If you shot and killed somone, and went to court for it. . .

. . . do you think a good defense would be. . .

"well your honor, the person that loaded my gun told me they put blanks in it?"

:dunno:

That probably wouldn't fly, you know it, I know it.

But. . the elites in this nation are held to a different standard.

Because, at the very least, he was criminally negligent and ended a life.

. . . If it were my jurisdiction though, I would launch a full scale investigation to see what types of conversations or interactions he had with the victims to see if there was anything more. . .

These folks all think they are above the law.

WTF, converted to propane?? My guns have all been converted to hydroelectric. :cuckoo:

Propane conversions are common for Hollywood.
But it is not worth it or necessary for small arms.
Usually only done for machineguns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back