Actor Alec Baldwin fired prop gun on set of ‘Rust’ that killed cinematographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rule of thumb....even in a movie....never point a gun at anyone unless you intend to shoot them.
You can get away with pointing the gun slightly to the side BTW.
I don't care if the director gives me shit about it later.

The actors are instructed to aim 30 degrees away from the intended target. That is drilled into them before every take.

The person at the top that was responsible to make sure only blanks were used is the Producer.

The person at the bottom responsible is to make sure a live round was not pointed at a live person was the actor.

Both those persons were Alec Baldwin.

All weapon/blank issues are the responsibility of the Propmaster.

The problem is these people spend so much time getting things handed to them....they don't check it themselves.
When people do things for you all the time....you really don't take the time to check.

To be honest in the movie world that is common. Most actors know nothing about guns. Propmasters will give minimal instruction, and the ones I know won't even let an actor handle a blank loaded weapon until immediately before a take, and as soon as the "CUT" is heard they move in and take the gun back.

I'm beginning to wonder if it was even a prop gun.

The propmaster works for the producer, who is of course Alec Baldwin.

Agreed, but the propmaster is responsible for the safe handling of all weapons.

There are a lot of procedures that they follow when doing a shoot.

I have been on many movie sets just hanging around with friends and everything is highly controlled by the respective specialties.

Yea this is a really sad story. But somehow I doubt it was a prop gun. The ones used today won't even accept a live round. Wondering if someone set down their gun and Alec picked it up THINKING it was a prop gun?

Last edited:
Star Wars guns are probably a bit too futuristic, I don't really know, I'm not a big movie fan, but there's not much substitute for a real gun with a blank cartridge — it has to make a loud noise and kick back on the movie set or it isn't realistic and people won't buy the movie. "Chick flicks" with no guns no violence just people sitting on the couch being emotional are a bore even for women and girls.

The original Star Wars guns were Sterling submachine guns, and MG 34's for the Stormtroopers, and Harrisin Fords blaster is a modified C96 Mauser.

Possibly, if you push the muzzle right up against a vital organ and pull the trigger. But more than likely just a bruise from a blast of hot air, if there's no bullet.

Edit: Wait a second! This is Hollywood. There's real wine being drunk, real drugs being dealt. People don't know what they're doing anymore.

Full load blanks are deadly at close range. Even quarter blanks are dangerous.

Star Wars guns are probably a bit too futuristic, I don't really know, I'm not a big movie fan, but there's not much substitute for a real gun with a blank cartridge — it has to make a loud noise and kick back on the movie set or it isn't realistic and people won't buy the movie. "Chick flicks" with no guns no violence just people sitting on the couch being emotional are a bore even for women and girls.

People spend millions on CGI.

Good question, because there's no earthly reason to put live rounds in a prop gun, ever. Even in the Brandon Lee incident, the live rounds were removed, it was one previously fired and stuck in the barrel that hit him.

And like I said, that is, in my opinion impossible. There isn't enough power in a primer to force the bullet far enough down the barrel to get past the forcing cone (the gun involved was a revolver) so you wouldn't even be able to open the cylinder.

Yea this is a really sad story. But somehow I doubt it was a prop gun. The ones used today won't even accept a live round. Wondering if someone set down their gun and Alec picked it up THINKING it was a prop gun?

They use real guns, so yes, they will accept live rounds.

Reminds of this incident:

The original video didn't blur his face out and it also played longer and showing the audience running out when he picked up another gun.

If even the police and people on stage don't understand basic firearm safety then what hope is there for the gungoons who spew their imaginary total 2A rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back