After 8 long years of gross incompetence, conservatives left behind a cesspool..

There’s no doubt conservative fiscal policies contributed to the December 2007 recession – or at the very least exacerbated the problem.

To advocate their re-implementation is idiocy.

Liberal fiscal policy is likely no better, and just as likely to fail.

The only rational course is to abandon partisan politics and pursue a pragmatic course employing policies that are likely to work, regardless their political origin.

Some of my Republican friends ask if I’ve gone crazy. I say: Look in the mirror.

It’s a very strange experience to have your friends think you’ve gone crazy. Some will tell you so. Others will indulgently humor you. Still others will avoid you. More than a few will demand that the authorities do something to get you off the streets. During one unpleasant moment after I was fired from the think tank where I’d worked for the previous seven years, I tried to reassure my wife with an old cliché: “The great thing about an experience like this is that you learn who your friends really are.” She answered, “I was happier when I didn’t know.”

It’s possible that my friends are right. I don’t think so—but then, crazy people never do. So let me put the case to you.

I’ve been a Republican all my adult life. I have worked on the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal, at Forbes magazine, at the Manhattan and American Enterprise Institutes, as a speechwriter in the George W. Bush administration. I believe in free markets, low taxes, reasonable regulation, and limited government. I voted for John *McCain in 2008, and I have strongly criticized the major policy decisions of the Obama administration. But as I contemplate my party and my movement in 2011, I see things I simply cannot support.

America desperately needs a responsible and compassionate alternative to the Obama administration’s path of bigger government at higher cost. And yet: This past summer, the GOP nearly forced America to the verge of default just to score a point in a budget debate. In the throes of the worst economic crisis since the Depression, Republican politicians demand massive budget cuts and shrug off the concerns of the unemployed. In the face of evidence of dwindling upward mobility and long-stagnating middle-class wages, my party’s economic ideas sometimes seem to have shrunk to just one: more tax cuts for the very highest earners. When I entered Republican politics, during an earlier period of malaise, in the late seventies and early eighties, the movement got most of the big questions—crime, inflation, the Cold War—right. This time, the party is getting the big questions disastrously wrong.

Much More: David Frum on the GOP's Lost Sense of Reality -- New York Magazine

Some of my Republican friends ask if I’ve gone crazy. I say: Look in the mirror.

It’s a very strange experience to have your friends think you’ve gone crazy. Some will tell you so. Others will indulgently humor you. Still others will avoid you. More than a few will demand that the authorities do something to get you off the streets. During one unpleasant moment after I was fired from the think tank where I’d worked for the previous seven years, I tried to reassure my wife with an old cliché: “The great thing about an experience like this is that you learn who your friends really are.” She answered, “I was happier when I didn’t know.”

It’s possible that my friends are right. I don’t think so—but then, crazy people never do. So let me put the case to you.

I’ve been a Republican all my adult life. I have worked on the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal, at Forbes magazine, at the Manhattan and American Enterprise Institutes, as a speechwriter in the George W. Bush administration. I believe in free markets, low taxes, reasonable regulation, and limited government. I voted for John *McCain in 2008, and I have strongly criticized the major policy decisions of the Obama administration. But as I contemplate my party and my movement in 2011, I see things I simply cannot support.

America desperately needs a responsible and compassionate alternative to the Obama administration’s path of bigger government at higher cost. And yet: This past summer, the GOP nearly forced America to the verge of default just to score a point in a budget debate. In the throes of the worst economic crisis since the Depression, Republican politicians demand massive budget cuts and shrug off the concerns of the unemployed. In the face of evidence of dwindling upward mobility and long-stagnating middle-class wages, my party’s economic ideas sometimes seem to have shrunk to just one: more tax cuts for the very highest earners. When I entered Republican politics, during an earlier period of malaise, in the late seventies and early eighties, the movement got most of the big questions—crime, inflation, the Cold War—right. This time, the party is getting the big questions disastrously wrong.

:lol:doesn't he have a contract that says he has to do 4 of these the gop is nuts articles a year? how many is that? is it over yet?

so what do you think about what he said here?
America desperately needs a responsible and compassionate alternative to the Obama administration’s path of bigger government at higher cost.

so what do you think about what he said here?
America desperately needs a responsible and compassionate alternative to the Obama administration’s path of bigger government at higher cost.

As a rightie I would expect him to feel that way. However, what do you think about how he feels about his fellow conservatives?

Republican officials are probably trying to figure out how their party got in such a mess (and it most definitely IS a mess). They might want to take a closer listen to talk radio. It was a medium they were quick to support when devoted conservative listeners supported the GOP. But did these Rep officials ever really LISTEN to talk radio? I seriously doubt it. Tune into Mark Levin sometime if you want to hear a lot of bombastic craziness. He and others are making outrageous charges ALL THE TIME. Let's face it. There ARE gullible people in the world (from both sides of the political spectrum) who will believe almost anything when they hear it. And if they're uneducated, and/or won't confirm, from an independent respected nonpartisan source, what they were told, they'll repeat it as if it was factually true.

There's a word for what talk radio is engaging in. It's called propaganda. Our country's leaders, and institutions like Radio Free Europe used to broadcast the truth into communist Eastern Europe to counter communist party propaganda that was the only official internal source of (dis)information those people had. Maybe the Europeans should return the favor.

Well for several reasons.

First off..there were some pretty painful decisions that needed to be made..and controversial. They left alot of people very unhappy. Like the healthcare package. Some wanted it to be single payer..some didn't want it at all.

Secondly..the damage done to the economy by conservatives was so severe, that the shockwaves were felt world wide. No one was made to pay for it either. That might have been a mistake..but the shielding to the culprits was done by conservatives in the name of "expediency". The "reward" for that..was that there wasn't a world wide collapse of the financial markets.

Third..the opposition is extremely entrenched and ruthless. They are not above using enemies, like the Saudis, the fund their propaganda machine. And they are not above out right lying about issues. And on a daily basis.

omg, I said come into reality, not leave it.

sheesh

Perhaps you can answer these simple questions..yes or no.

Does a Saudi Prince own a large number of shares in FOX ? Yes or No?

Did Ronald Reagan and George HW Bush fund the muj, an organization Osama Bin Laden was a part of, when they fought against the Soviet Union? Yes or No?

Was Osama Bin Laden a Saudi National? Yes or No?

Did George W. Bush, take over a company, Arbusto, started by Osama Bin Laden's brother? Yes or No?

Were most of the hijackers from Saudi Arabia? Yes or No?

When ever you get the chance dear..feel free.

you don't really expect steffie to know basic information, do you? :rofl:

My goodness....

This thread was a toilet scrubber to start.

I wonder if Sallow sobered up and realized what an idiot she mader of herself ?

omg, I said come into reality, not leave it.

sheesh

Perhaps you can answer these simple questions..yes or no.

Does a Saudi Prince own a large number of shares in FOX ? Yes or No?

Did Ronald Reagan and George HW Bush fund the muj, an organization Osama Bin Laden was a part of, when they fought against the Soviet Union? Yes or No?

Was Osama Bin Laden a Saudi National? Yes or No?

Did George W. Bush, take over a company, Arbusto, started by Osama Bin Laden's brother? Yes or No?

Were most of the hijackers from Saudi Arabia? Yes or No?

When ever you get the chance dear..feel free.

you don't really expect steffie to know basic information, do you? :rofl:

my gawd jilly, how long you going to hang onto that hardon for me?
you become more petty with each passing year dear.

Third..the opposition is extremely entrenched and ruthless. They are not above using enemies, like the Saudis, the fund their propaganda machine. And they are not above out right lying about issues. And on a daily basis.

yea both sides get like that when they want to be the ones who hold the cards...

Part and parcel with the make up of conservatives is that they never, ever admit fault.

open your eyes Sallow.....there are Liberals who likewise will never admit fault.....90% of the time the Party in power will never admit they were wrong......they will always have an excuse....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYFNOGGwbn8]Obama on Midterm Shellacking: 'It Feels Bad' - YouTube[/ame]

I didn't agree with his assessment..but he did admit fault.

well i thought we were referring to decisions made about running the Country......not how one side fucked up in the Elections....

i believe if the Democrats were in charge back then Sallow,they would have done the same thing....just sayin.....

a claim you have NO way of proving.

Its nothing but what you want to say to defend you position

All the dislike for both parties will lead to a Ron Paul victory...

The media just neglects this fact - they want to see a RINO nominated.....

Ron paul will NEVER be president.

Its your pipe dream and the American people dont like ron paul

To think, over 4,000 young men and women died in a needless war AFTER Bush proclaimed "Mission Accomplished." That is criminally insane.

Ron paul will NEVER be president.

Its your pipe dream and the American people dont like ron paul

C'mon...put some teeth into it.

Why don't you promise to leave the country if he is elected ?

That backs up your, otherwise, stupid, pronouncement.

And it would also motivate some of us to campaign for Paul.

Moron.

To think, over 4,000 young men and women died in a needless war AFTER Bush proclaimed "Mission Accomplished." That is criminally insane.

How many people died from smoking during that same time ?

That is criminally insane.....or just insane.

Bush was moron. But I don't believe you have ever proved he did anything illegal.

what makes you think the American people will elect Ron Paul?

They dont like his ideas

Forum List

Back