After concealing her race, Black Indianapolis owner's home value more than doubled

The result? Carlette Duffy's appraised value more than doubled.

Duffy’s home, which was assessed by different companies in 2020, was first appraised at $125,000, then $110,000 and finally $259,000 in November, according to the Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana. The nonprofit announced this month that it had filed housing discrimination complaints on Duffy’s behalf with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Amy Nelson, executive director of the group representing Duffy, said it's “heartbreaking” that the homeowner had to do so much to secure a fair appraisal.

There is no such thing as racism in this country.

Here house was just low balled because she works for the wrong person.

Smfh.
i don’t disclose my race on anything that ask.

there is no reason to

There is no way her house, which she bought for 100K in 2017, is worth 2.5 time more when the last appraisal was done in Nov 2020.....unless she did major renovations to it. That appraisal was also done 6 and 8 months after the other 2. Other homes nearby could have been renovated and sale comps could have reached 250K, but her house is not worth that is her house does not have similar renovations.
I don't know --- the Wall Street Journal is running a lot of articles this spring about how much house prices have suddenly gone up. And what a shortage in housing there is.

My guess is that no racism was involved, just house prices rapidly rising from insufficient supply, and inflation, which is also rising rapidly.

Of course this woman just HAS to claim racism, sheeeeeeeeesh.

Duffy’s home, which was assessed by different companies in 2020, was first appraised at $125,000, then $110,000 and finally $259,000 in November, according to the Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana. The nonprofit announced this month that it had filed housing discrimination complaints on Duffy’s behalf with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Amy Nelson, executive director of the group representing Duffy, said it's “heartbreaking” that the homeowner had to do so much to secure a fair appraisal.

Smfh.
Her neighbors' home value must have quadrupled.

there is no reason to
Interesting! I do sometimes, but I am going the way of refusing to answer ANY personal questions. All these datamining forms, why allow that? They don't need any info but my name and address, and I've taken to leaving off my first name (I just put Mrs.) because if they have that, somebody stomps into the waiting room bellowing for me by my first name. There are a lot of people out there with no concept of manners.

If anyone wants to know the legal appraised value of their property, they don't have to bargain shop a bunch of companies.
Check the appraised value of the property as set by the Tax Accessor's Office, if it isn't current, request an updated assessment.

Here it's done by our county. I got a low appraisal when I applied for a home equity loan from a bank a couple years back. The county had my property valued at twice what they did. I filed a complaint and they heard my case. They fought me tooth and nail claiming the banks appraisal company was incorrect. They lowered it a little, but no nearly enough. So then I appealed to the court at our state capital. A three judge panel voted unanimously in my favor.

The county wants to keep the appraisal as high as possible. The higher the value of the property, the more taxes they collect. So their evaluations are often way too high.

There is no way her house, which she bought for 100K in 2017, is worth 2.5 time more when the last appraisal was done in Nov 2020.....unless she did major renovations to it. That appraisal was also done 6 and 8 months after the other 2. Other homes nearby could have been renovated and sale comps could have reached 250K, but her house is not worth that is her house does not have similar renovations.
I don't know --- the Wall Street Journal is running a lot of articles this spring about how much house prices have suddenly gone up. And what a shortage in housing there is.

My guess is that no racism was involved, just house prices rapidly rising from insufficient supply, and inflation, which is also rising rapidly.

Of course this woman just HAS to claim racism, sheeeeeeeeesh.
Home sale prices are up everywhere, no doubt. I know Flanner. My Dad's entire family was raised 3 miles from Flanner, and I lived in Irvington as a kid. Flanner is a mini Leavittown surrounded by Ransom, Old Northside where houses and condos (new and renovated) go for 250K-1 Million LOL.

Smfh.
more RACISM myths

there is no reason to

With an appraisal somebody has to be at the home. They don't just look at it from outside. They need to go inside and inspect every single room, so the appraiser does know who lives at the house in most cases.

Smfh.
...I've been ''screwed'' over at restaurants and auto shops--and I'm white...I guess that was RACISM!!!!!?????.....
..one time I made an appointment for a car repair at 9am...so, I dropped the car off and went to eat for about 2 hours ..I came back and they didn't even start on the car.....looked at me like I never was there or called..they were white and I am white ..I guess that was RACISM!!!!!!!!?????

...I've been ''screwed'' over at restaurants and auto shops--and I'm white...I guess that was RACISM!!!!!?????.....
..one time I made an appointment for a car repair at 9am...so, I dropped the car off and went to eat for about 2 hours ..I came back and they didn't even start on the car.....looked at me like I never was there or called..they were white and I am white ..I guess that was RACISM!!!!!!!!?????
I guess what they all want now is Black Privilege.

I guess what they all want now is Black Privilege.
..this shit happens because their obsession with RACE fks up their thinking......when humans are obsessed with something, they think very stupidly

Here it's done by our county. I got a low appraisal when I applied for a home equity loan from a bank a couple years back. The county had my property valued at twice what they did. I filed a complaint and they heard my case. They fought me tooth and nail claiming the banks appraisal company was incorrect. They lowered it a little, but no nearly enough. So then I appealed to the court at our state capital. A three judge panel voted unanimously in my favor.

The county wants to keep the appraisal as high as possible. The higher the value of the property, the more taxes they collect. So their evaluations are often way too high.

Of course they are higher, and that will result in higher taxes ... But it is the legal value.

If people want to fight tooth and nail in order to devalue their property, I am not worried about that.
The bank isn't obligated to state the value as one thing or another, and is only obligated to fulfil any contract you may choose to sign with them.

That's more of an assessment of their desire to take a risk on you, than what any appraised value may be.
It's rather convenient if you are compelled to believe the Tax Accessor's Office would be any more self-serving than the bank.

Perhaps you should have better negotiation skills when it comes to what you can get out of the bank ... :auiqs.jpg:

Last edited:
Of course they are higher, and that will result in higher taxes ... But it is the legal value.

If people want to fight tooth and nail in order to devalue their property, I am not worried about that.
The bank isn't obligated to state the value as one thing or another, and is only obligated to fulfil any contract you may choose sign with them.

That's more of an assessment of their desire to take a risk on you, than what any appraised value may be.
It's rather convenient if you are compelled to believe the Tax Accessor's Office would be any more self-serving than the bank.

Perhaps you should have better negotiation skills when it comes to what you can get out of the bank

Well again, the bank wants to make a loan with an applicant, but they don't make that decision. Their underwriters are the people that have the last word. The underwriters don't haggle. They send out one of their appraisal companies, and if it says the property is worth X, then that's all it's worth.

I made out like a bandit anyway. Throughout the last five years, I saved thousands of dollars on property taxes.

Well you just can't do that. You have to show them identification to get a good deal.

Unknown 11.28.18 PM.jpeg

Smfh.
You people clearly have no idea how appraisals work. Home appraisals are based entirely on "comparison appraisals". You try your best to find a home with a simlar neighborhood and also approximately the same square footage and similar improvements, such as having a pool or really well landscaped yard. You look through a list of THOUSANDS of homes and pick 3-4 of them.

You will get a different result every time. It has nothing to do with race, seeing how you are required by law to show all your work and prove how you came to that number.

The appraisal, much like political polls, will turn out the way the person paying for it wants. Appraisals are a joke in many cases. The only color that comes into play in appraisals is GREEN.
Not true. Banks do 95% of all apraisals and the appraiser never even meets the owner of the property.

Smfh.

Any house ownd by a Negro is probably a dump and not worth much.

Smfh.
How the fuck does that work ? An agent generally works on a percentage so undervaluing cuts their fee.

I've had my house appraised. It was a flat fee.
It is always a flat fee. It was $500 a pop when i used to do it.

Forum List

Back