After we get past the virus

eagle7-31

Diamond Member
Mar 24, 2020

our entire relationship with China must change. Much of what BO, Bush 43 and Clinton helped put us in this situation. NOTHING to do with national security and health should be subject to any foreign dependence or advancing foreign adversary capabilities in these two areas.

After we get past this virus, there will be pressure to do this again. The governors and other officials are having too much fun bossing people around.

The battle lines are drawn. Biden and the globalists vs Trump and the "America First" populists.
Sadly it is congress that we must rely on to fix this shit not any particular president.

In November, Trump should win back the (31) congressional seats he lost in 2018 in the so called "Trump districts".
The bullshit Mueller Investigation scared voters in 2018, in 2020 we see the democrats for what they are.

our entire relationship with China must change. Much of what BO, Bush 43 and Clinton helped put us in this situation. NOTHING to do with national security and health should be subject to any foreign dependence or advancing foreign adversary capabilities in these two areas.
It really goes back to Nixon. And not to criticize Reagan in the least, because I thought he was right, but Jimmah was the only one tying trade to China treating individuals as having some worth beyond economic assests and liabilities of the communist state. But the theory was that as individuals gained economic power they would want individual freedoms. In China it appears that people will put up with the communist state so long as they can privately think what they choose and if their economic well being improves. And there is a natural patriot feeling that most Chinese want to see their nation and pre-eminent.

And unfortunately with Trump we've decoupled ourselves from the western democracies from which our own republic had its origins.

Isolationism does not work.
Not isolationism, but a more fair trade balance:
1588689347325.png

It really goes back to Nixon. And not to criticize Reagan in the least, because I thought he was right, but Jimmah was the only one tying trade to China treating individuals as having some worth beyond economic assests and liabilities of the communist state. But the theory was that as individuals gained economic power they would want individual freedoms. In China it appears that people will put up with the communist state so long as they can privately think what they choose and if their economic well being improves. And there is a natural patriot feeling that most Chinese want to see their nation and pre-eminent.

And unfortunately with Trump we've decoupled ourselves from the western democracies from which our own republic had its origins.
Won't disagree with your first paragraph. However Trump for his own shortcomings has not gone nearly that far. Ask Boris Johnson the British PM what he thinks about China now.

Oh yeah. It's not just the UK but the EU reevaluating whether they've been more naïve than even they previously thought.

But Trump has tried to decouple us from global free trade. He's going to fail on that simply because of natural resources and the fact that our manftring depends on accessing sales to for markets. And we're not moving textiles back to the US. Vietnam and Indonesia cannot build factory cities for Apple in a few weeks, but the workers are able and willing. He's decoupled us from security agreements both West and East.

But I think what the EU is asking itself, and I thought was the point of the OP …. is whether free trade with China is even possible. China's communist party sees trade as a state weapon for global dominance. I'm not sure what the means for Western corps trying to access a share of Chinese markets, but democracies need to be very leery about Chinese intentions.

Oh yeah. It's not just the UK but the EU reevaluating whether they've been more naïve than even they previously thought.

But Trump has tried to decouple us from global free trade. He's going to fail on that simply because of natural resources and the fact that our manftring depends on accessing sales to for markets. And we're not moving textiles back to the US. Vietnam and Indonesia cannot build factory cities for Apple in a few weeks, but the workers are able and willing. He's decoupled us from security agreements both West and East.

But I think what the EU is asking itself, and I thought was the point of the OP …. is whether free trade with China is even possible. China's communist party sees trade as a state weapon for global dominance. I'm not sure what the means for Western corps trying to access a share of Chinese markets, but democracies need to be very leery about Chinese intentions.
Global Free trade?? you are 2/3 right, the global and the trade, but nothing is for free, except some occasional advice. Same goes for Free market capitalism, Its market capitalism but not free (except maybe the illegal drug traffic)

Forum List

Back