Alabama becomes the first college to have 70 players in the NFL in one season.

If it is all about recruiting, why did Texas A&M have a record breaking recruiting year last year, and make huge gains in the transfer portal, and then suck when the season started.

Having the best athletes is certainly a big part of it. But it does NOT guarantee success. Especially not the level of success Coach Saban has had.
Because it’s not a sustained thing. I would imagine they will be good next year or the year after if those recruits stay. And they almost beat Alabama if you remember. How many freshman started significant games for Alabama last year or even played significant snaps for them. Again Alabama isn’t #1 in recruiting for a single year they are #1, 70% of the time. You’re smarter than this. I’m not saying Saban isn’t a good coach. I’m saying he’s a great college coach, but the most important part of college football is recruiting which is what he’s great at. That’s why his coaching talent didn’t translate to the pro game.

This might be a nebulous extrapolation, but, I've used it when speaking of the decreasing talent of Canadian hockey players where once it was the blue collar French pedigree and anglo-son-of-a-farmer who used to work hard and sacrifice it all to make the NHL but now can't even afford to play the sport. it cost many thousands a year just to play in the Toronto MTHL, as much as $140k for three years! These are just kids a long way from the pros!

So the former blue-collar, grinding worker pedigree have been replaced by the sons of lawyers, doctors and wealthy Canadians who can't afford to play in these competitive leagues and these same kids go to skating schools, skills improvement schools etc in the off-season. It's insane and I believe it has greatly hurt Canadas competitiveness and it will only get worse as time goes on.

Now my extrapolation is that Alabama is the poorest state in the U.S and I am willing to bet that although the team will of course have players from all across the country, I bet the majority of the roster will be from Alabama from tougher blue collar roots where hard work, God given talent and sacrifice surpass extra resources. Athletics is a driving force for future opportunity for many.

A coach who understands the free market of athletics will spot talent and character accordingly and will have access to some of the best talent, not the best money can buy.

I think there are a couple of states that are poorer than Alabama. And big name college football programs recruit from all over the country.

But yes, many use their talents to get a quality education.

Because it’s not a sustained thing. I would imagine they will be good next year or the year after if those recruits stay. And they almost beat Alabama if you remember. How many freshman started significant games for Alabama last year or even played significant snaps for them. Again Alabama isn’t #1 in recruiting for a single year they are #1, 70% of the time. You’re smarter than this. I’m not saying Saban isn’t a good coach. I’m saying he’s a great college coach, but the most important part of college football is recruiting which is what he’s great at. That’s why his coaching talent didn’t translate to the pro game.

Quite a few true freshmen saw significant playing time. Just as they have in years past.

I am not denying that recruiting plays a huge roll in the success of a team. All I have argued is that it is not the sum total.

If there is a single reason his talent did not translate to the NFL, it is that the players have to buy in to his Process. NFL players don't listen as well.

Quite a few true freshmen saw significant playing time. Just as they have in years past.

I am not denying that recruiting plays a huge roll in the success of a team. All I have argued is that it is not the sum total.

If there is a single reason his talent did not translate to the NFL, it is that the players have to buy in to his Process. NFL players don't listen as well.
Great coaches motivate their players, they get them to buy in. Saban had complete control in Miami and failed. Period. Full stop. Don’t try and sugar coat it. He isnt the only good/great college coach to try their hand at the pro game and get bounced. In fact it happens that way more often than not. Harbaugh being the rare exception. The game is much more difficult when you don’t have the best player at every position on the field most weeks. When every team is generally as talented yours. When players arent boys but men.

Great coaches motivate their players, they get them to buy in. Saban had complete control in Miami and failed. Period. Full stop. Don’t try and sugar coat it. He isnt the only good/great college coach to try their hand at the pro game and get bounced. In fact it happens that way more often than not. Harbaugh being the rare exception. The game is much more difficult when you don’t have the best player at every position on the field most weeks. When every team is generally as talented yours. When players arent boys but men.

I am very happy that Coach Saban did not have success at Miami. That way, when Mal Moore came with an offer (a very nice offer), Saban opted for a return to college football.

And he is, hands down, the greatest at that.

Forum List

Back