Alaska GOP Votes to Censure Mitch McConnell

There are two dynamics at work.

One is that Mitch, Lindsay, et al strongly support a strong, free, prosperous America and reject destructive leftist extremism though they may disagree on how to accomplish that.

The other is that these people all work together in the same 'office' as it were, know each other at a personal level, talk together at the water cooler, socialize after hours, and become close friends. And friends too often set aside politics and support each other even when that support is inadvisable. Mitch and Lisa are friends.

It happens to us now and then in real life too.

Then there's the fact that Mitch and Lisa are old guard, globalist, neocon Republicans. I am pretty sure they quietly seethed that Donald Trump was so successful and accomplished so much going outside the old guard Republican playbook. Trump got good things accomplished that the old guard group said couldn't be done, in ways they said would never work, etc.

Senators are not immune to bitter jealousy and resentment when others succeed where they failed.

I can forgive Mitch for that. I do think he should have kept his mouth shut re Murkowski and I will never forgive him for belittling the candidacies of Oz and Walker as 'inferior candidates.' But he competently led the move to keep Merrick Garland off the Supreme Court in 2016 too, and I'll be forever grateful to him for that.

OH NOES! Can't have anyone leaving the cult!
McConnell is a dinosaur and an embarrassment to the GOP. I expect him to be removed from Senate majority leader if Republicans retake the Senate.

Forum List

Back