ALL-FEMALE engineer team designed the Miami bridge that collapsed last week

So why wouldn't they hire female engineers? My Aunt Hillary assured me that you could hire them for 75% of the cost of a man.

ROTFLMAO

I heard the intended center support tower was not even built yet. No sign of it on the TV footage. I'm sure we will get a more complete and definitive explanation of what happened in time.

Ever watch AvE? I watch this guy all the time. He has two very interesting videos if you have time to watch them. It is my understanding from the drawings in the video that the center "support" wasn't necessary as load bearing...at least initially...though it was to be built to support the cable tower. The tensioning bolts were supposed to keep the concrete compressed to increase strength. He says in on of the photos, you can see a tension bolt that obviously broke before the collapse. The tension bolts were supposed to support the bridge completely until the tower was raised and the cable support was rigged.

I also understand that a stress test and tensioning was underway at the moment of the collapse...which lends credence to his theory.

It could have been a lot of things that led to the broken tension bolt. Human error, defective bolt, bad design, improperly cured concrete around the tension bolt anchor...we'll have to wait for the investigation to know for sure.

Videos to follow...rated MA for strong language...viewer discretion advised...

Last edited:
Yet another affirmative action fail. These brainless bimbos couldn't design a hockey puck but they got a "minority" contract even though they're not even a minority!!

Diversity Fail? All-Women Engineering Team Blamed for Collapse of Miami Pedestrian Bridge

march 18 2018 The all-women engineering team that designed the ill-fated pedestrian foot bridge at Miami’s Florida International University were highly touted for their advances in a field that is typically dominated by men.

But critics are pointing the finger of blame at the female engineers for design flaws that may have brought the bridge down.

Munilla Construction Management (MCM), the South Miami-based firm that designed the FIU foot bridge, has been sued multiple times for unsafe practices in the past.

MCM was awarded the $14.2 million minority contract to design and build the cable-stayed bridge. The company is well-connected in Miami politics and it promotes inclusion and diversity in the workforce.

The lead engineer on the foot bridge project is a female, Leonor Flores, who is a graduate of FIU. Flores led a team of all-women engineers and designers who oversaw the crews that built the prefabricated “instant bridge” by the side of the road using FIU’s own accelerated construction techniques.

Studies all over the world have shown that boys and men are twice as good at math as girls and women. The gender disparity in mathematics scores explains why there are far fewer women engineers than men in the world.
A new bridge on interstate 74 across the Mississippi is currently under construction. I hope they didn't use the ABC method for constructing this thing.

I heard the intended center support tower was not even built yet. No sign of it on the TV footage. I'm sure we will get a more complete and definitive explanation of what happened in time.

Ever watch AvE? I watch this guy all the time. He has two very interesting videos if you have time to watch them. It is my understanding from the drawings in the video that the center "support" wasn't necessary as load bearing...at least initially...though it was to be built to support the cable tower. The tensioning bolts were supposed to keep the concrete compressed to increase strength. He says in on of the photos, you can see a tension bolt that obviously broke before the collapse. The tension bolts were supposed to support the bridge completely until the tower was raised and the cable support was rigged.

I also understand that a stress test and tensioning was underway at the moment of the collapse...which lends credence to his theory.

It could have been a lot of things that led to the broken tension bolt. Human error, defective bolt, bad design, improperly cured concrete around the tension bolt anchor...we'll have to wait for the investigation to know for sure.

Videos to follow...

I watched the first video, and wasn't really impressed. Owning a slide rule doesn't make you smart. I know, because I haven't used mine since the early 70s, and I'm not sure I even remember all it can be used for. He also got a little confused about which part of the structure was in tension and which part was in compression for a few seconds there too. He did note that there was no center support, and it was designed to have one. No rational reason why it wasn't there. We will know soon enough. Investigations of this type take a while, but they don't miss anything, and they will want their findings published as widely as possible to prevent this type of tragedy in the future..

I doubt this had anything to do with an all female team, but it definitely shows incompetence on an epic scale.

However if they got the job because they were an all female engineers, then it shows incompetence on epic levels in government/public school.

Especially since they had another bridge collapse at the airport.

Videos to follow...

I watched the first video, and wasn't really impressed. Owning a slide rule doesn't make you smart. I know, because I haven't used mine since the early 70s, and I'm not sure I even remember all it can be used for. He also got a little confused about which part of the structure was in tension and which part was in compression for a few seconds there too. He did note that there was no center support, and it was designed to have one. No rational reason why it wasn't there. We will know soon enough. Investigations of this type take a while, but they don't miss anything, and they will want their findings published as widely as possible to prevent this type of tragedy in the future..

Pretty sure the slide rule was a joke.

You should watch the second video...it is the more interesting of the two.

Videos to follow...

Very unprofessional with F-bombs peppered throughout his explanation, but he seems to know what he's tAlking about.

Very unprofessional with F-bombs peppered throughout his explanation, but he seems to know what he's tAlking about.

He's from Canada...whatcha gonna do. :p

But I should edit that post...I forgot about the cussing.

Videos to follow...

Pretty sure the slide rule was a joke.

You should watch the second video...it is the more interesting of the two.

The second one actually went into design structure and physical evidence... From what I watched he hit it dead center of target with known physical evidence..

Damn. Not only are you a racist, but you're a sexist as well.

YOU are the racist and sexist since you support affirmative action. I want jobs handed out on merit.
Our forefathers built this country on merit, not affirmative action.

Except for all those Chinese guys who built the intercontinental railroad, the immigrant labor used by the confederacy and the robber barons.
Good point. The unqualified can provide labor and force. Design, engineering and development belong to the white guys making all the decisions just like the railroad, the confederacy and the robber barons building their fortunes.

With the support cables it was most likely a solid design. The question is, why were they not installed before traffic was allowed to move under it? That sounds like a construction project manager issue.

Engineering should definately have input and or control as a project like that goes forward. It seems like this company has had a lot of problems in the past, so maybe they have some hiring problems or perhaps some lack of accountability problems. Who cares if they hire women or men to do an engineering job? but if they made the engineering staff all female just because they were looking only for the best women engineers, thats unforgivable for project that is all about safety. When safety comes first, you are looking for people who are the best. People. not whites, not blacks, not women, just the best people for the job

Videos to follow...

He's a gold miner in Kanukistan. He doesn't give a fuck about "professional".

Everything the Kenyan touched - snafu

Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery. Still reading from the Miami Herald: “The 174-foot, 950-ton section of the bridge was built adjacent to Southwest Eight Street using Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) methods, which are being advanced at FIU’s Accelerated Bridge Construction University Transportation Center (ABC-UTC).” Are you keeping up with all this?

We have the Accelerated Bridge Construction University Transportation Center. So ABC-UTC. Now, “‘[t]his method of construction reduces potential risks to workers, commuters and pedestrians and minimizes traffic interruptions. The main span of the FIU-Sweetwater UniversityCity Bridge was installed in a few hours with limited disruption to traffic over this weekend,’ said the press release.” Yeah, it went up quickly; it came down quickly.
The TIGER Program: Obama’s Fingerprints on Another Florida Tragedy | The Rush Limbaugh Show

Damn. Not only are you a racist, but you're a sexist as well.

YOU are the racist and sexist since you support affirmative action. I want jobs handed out on merit.
Our forefathers built this country on merit, not affirmative action.

Except for all those Chinese guys who built the intercontinental railroad, the immigrant labor used by the confederacy and the robber barons.

And the slaves that built that amazing structure that is a symbol of the equality of all men, the White house.

Forum List

Back