Allow us to install smart meters or lose your water ...

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
... said the city of Baraboo, Wisconsin to an 81-year-old woman who

(a) has reason to believe that earlier smart meters installed on the outside of her house affected her heart and
(b) is a sharp cookie who is concerned about the privacy issues involved with smart meters.

81-year-old Baraboo woman has water shut off - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI ? News, Weather and Sports |

Smart meters collect extensive information about your activity, including for instance when your household alarms are on. This vital information about you is subject to hacking.

I heard her on the radio this morning and she is on the ball. She cares about both her health and the principle involved. People shouldn't be able to say, "make all the information about your comings and goings and other habits available to us, or you don't get utilities".

She's been without running water for two days now. Drinking bottled water, cooking and flushing with water brought over by people who've heard of her plight, doing her laundry and bathing at her daughter's house.

She's gonna tough this out.

May Baraboo feel the heat of bad press!

I've got my own water but they forced me into a smart meter after I got a permit for an addition to my home and increase the amps. they replaced it with Smart meter and insist it is not a Smart Meter but won't let me have one of the old ones. I notice a difference with this smart meter and am not sure what to do about it yet. We don't have the luxury of opt out as other states do. - Jeri

(a) has reason to believe that earlier smart meters installed on the outside of her house affected her heart and
(b) is a sharp cookie who is concerned about the privacy issues involved with smart meters.

81-year-old Baraboo woman has water shut off - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI ? News, Weather and Sports |

Smart meters collect extensive information about your activity, including for instance when your household alarms are on. This vital information about you is subject to hacking.

I heard her on the radio this morning and she is on the ball. She cares about both her health and the principle involved. People shouldn't be able to say, "make all the information about your comings and goings and other habits available to us, or you don't get utilities".

She's been without running water for two days now. Drinking bottled water, cooking and flushing with water brought over by people who've heard of her plight, doing her laundry and bathing at her daughter's house.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with smart meters and they don't affect anyone's heart.

What is with these people? You want us to go back to the stone age?

I've got my own water but they forced me into a smart meter after I got a permit for an addition to my home and increase the amps. they replaced it with Smart meter and insist it is not a Smart Meter but won't let me have one of the old ones. I notice a difference with this smart meter and am not sure what to do about it yet. We don't have the luxury of opt out as other states do. - Jeri
The meter is not yours. It is the property of the serving utility. You have no say-so regarding the meter they use. The utility company controls everything (supply side) up to (and including) the meter. You control everything on the "load side" of the meter.

LOL! They affect your health in the same way wifi or cell phones would. And they certainly don't keep track of people's comings and goings and alarms. What a load of BS.

LOL! They affect your health in the same way wifi or cell phones would.
Who the hell stands with their body pressed against a utility meter?

And they certainly don't keep track of people's comings and goings and alarms. What a load of BS.
They monitor power usage. Your security system uses more current when it is in an "alarm" condition, than it does when it is in "stand-by" mode. So, the smart meter does know when your alarms go off.

And they certainly don't keep track of people's comings and goings and alarms. What a load of BS.
They monitor power usage. Your security system uses more current when it is in an "alarm" condition, than it does when it is in "stand-by" mode. So, the smart meter does know when your alarms go off.

Wait a minute. How does a smart water meter monitor power usage anyway and why?

Wait a minute. How does a smart water meter monitor power usage anyway and why?

They don't...the power meter ones might, but the power from your alarm isn't going to be detectable any more than when your A/C or refer kicks on. Ludicrous.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with smart meters and they don't affect anyone's heart.

What is with these people? You want us to go back to the stone age?

How does not doing something revert one back to the stone age? So, if I don't buy the new biohazard CFL's, I thus must want to go back to torches?

:lol:

Some of you libs are fucking beyond retarded.

Last edited:

Bull. It doesn't know what you are using current for....besides, we are discussing water meters.

Smart Meters are needed so that the Water company can monitor and shut off your water supply whenever they need to. And WHEN would they need to? Well, that's none of your business.

Also, whatever you guys do DON'T point a CB antenna at a Smart Meter, it WILL destroy it.

It is the water companies meter. They can put in as smart or as dumb a meter as they choose

Just because the old lady sleeps with a tin foil hat does not make her right. Don't want the meter? Cancel your water

Last edited:
Do the 'smart' thing and dig a well and take yourself off the utility.

The same with your power usage. Install a separate means of getting power and take yourself off the grid.

Enough people do this out of protest, lets see how long the water or electric company can keep their systems maintained if they have a diminished or limited income.

It is the water companies meter. They can put in as smart or as dumb a meter as they choose

Just because the old lady sleeps with a tin foil hat does not make her right. Don't want the meter? Cancel your water
That's right! It's not like the Utility Companies were built with your Tax Money or anything.

Go watch some more TV!

That's right! It's not like the Utility Companies were built with your Tax Money or anything.

Go watch some more TV!

So that justifies keeping a horse and buggy infrastructure

Go watch some more TV!

So that justifies keeping a horse and buggy infrastructure
Americans should pay for their Utilities to be built then sold to Private Industry, they should have NO say in how they're run. Can you believe SOME people even put LOCKS on their Analog Meters to ensure that the Utility Companies don't put Smart Meters in without their knowledge? How crazy is that?

So Baraboo, Wisconsin, is punishing an 81-year old woman who lived through the Depression, WWII deprivations, et al, and is ignoring her issue with losing her privacy?

Morons.

Instead of having to send a meter reader to your house and write down a monthly water reading, someone can click a mouse and see how much water you have used.......It is called progress

Just because some 81 year old Luddite fears the government reading her thoughts is not justification for another whiny thread

Last edited:

So Baraboo, Wisconsin, is punishing an 81-year old woman who lived through the Depression, WWII deprivations, et al, and is ignoring her issue with losing her privacy?

Morons.

Ignoring her health concerns too.

The first smart meter was installed outside and she didn't know about it. She started having odd health problems -- yeah, yeah, I hear the people saying, "she's 81, of course she's going to have heart problems" but whatever -- she started having problems. She went to a doctor. The doctor saw nothing in her body which would explain the symptoms she was experiencing. She made the connection about the smart meter outdoors. Then another smart meter was installed outdoors, and her problems got worse. And now they want to put one inside.

I haven't done all the research. I have heard enough to think there is legitimate concern. And the electricity smart meters do collect very detailed information which does make people vulnerable if the information is hacked.

Whatever anyone else thinks about the privacy or health issues, it was stunningly stupid to cut off her water.

Instead of having to send a meter reader to your house and right down a monthly water reading, someone can click a mouse and see how much water you have used.......It is called progress

Just because some 81 year old Luddite fears the government reading her thoughts is not justification for another whiny thread
So Gen Patraeous was lying when he said "We're spying on you through your appliances"?:

CIA Chief: We'll Spy on You Through Your Dishwasher | Danger Room | Wired.com
“Items of interest will be located, identified, monitored, and remotely controlled through technologies such as radio-frequency identification, sensor networks, tiny embedded servers, and energy harvesters — all connected to the next-generation internet using abundant, low-cost, and high-power computing,” Petraeus said, “the latter now going to cloud computing, in many areas greater and greater supercomputing, and, ultimately, heading to quantum computing.”
Item of Interest: Person.

And we know that through PRISM (Google that) the Gov't considers EVERYONE an "Item of Interest".

Forum List

Back