Allow us to install smart meters or lose your water ...

Interesting. So the supplier has no right to know how much it is supplying?

where in the world did we state that? Nowhere. The objection is to smart meters - not all meters.

I object to all meters on MY HOUSE

They have no business knowing how much gas, water or electricity I use. Once they start monitoring my utility usage, they will want to monitor my food usage, what I watch on TV, how much sex I have and how often I change my underwear

It is what I like to call......A Slippery Slope

Don't people just voluntarily put all that stuff on Facebook nowadays?

where in the world did we state that? Nowhere. The objection is to smart meters - not all meters.

They have no business knowing how much gas, water or electricity I use. Once they start monitoring my utility usage, they will want to monitor my food usage, what I watch on TV, how much sex I have and how often I change my underwear

And if they can use more efficient meters to monitor my useage ... they could charge me more if I'm using more then the old meter read!

And if they can use more efficient meters to monitor my useage ... they could charge me more if I'm using more then the old meter read!

They WILL charge you more -- because NOW they know WHEN you used it.. Time of Day pricing is a money making scheme to charge premiums for usage near the daily peak of the load demand.

They can also charge you for stuff most folks have never heard of --- like power factor. So if you have pool or a hot-tub and anything else with motors or big power supplies, you'll pay for stuff that they currently can't measure and record.

LOL! They affect your health in the same way wifi or cell phones would.
Who the hell stands with their body pressed against a utility meter?

And they certainly don't keep track of people's comings and goings and alarms. What a load of BS.
They monitor power usage. Your security system uses more current when it is in an "alarm" condition, than it does when it is in "stand-by" mode. So, the smart meter does know when your alarms go off.

Bull. It doesn't know what you are using current for....besides, we are discussing water meters.

They know when you take a shit do a 1.5 gallon flush & when you shower & use hot water. They know if you have more people living with you than you say. Your power & gas meter spy on you in combination with your water meter. They also monitor your TV viewing, internet usage, track, watch & listen to you through your cell phone even when you are not using it.

Bull. It doesn't know what you are using current for....besides, we are discussing water meters.
Care to venture a guess as to why they're called "watt-hour" meters?

Because they measure watts by the hour. Smart meters measure watts every 15 minutes.

They know the voltage your house is being served at.

watts/volts=amps

amps=current

Got anymore dumbass questions?

Thats what deregulation would like. Cons just don't think things through. Oh, they do after an electrical fire consumes their family in the night, or the plant blows up, or the bridge collapses, or gulf fills with oil, or...........:confused:
The one good thing about the incidents you've described, is that the building codes (uniform, electrical, mechanical, structural, etc) generally get more stringent in their mandated requirements.

Care to venture a guess as to why they're called "watt-hour" meters?

Because they measure watts by the hour. Smart meters measure watts every 15 minutes.

They know the voltage your house is being served at.

watts/volts=amps

amps=current

Got anymore dumbass questions?
Dude, please. Put down the bottle. We agree more on this issue than we disagree. The OP is about water meters, not watt hour meters.

Exactly right. For several years I gave our power company the option of shutting off my a/c during brownouts to lessen the pain to the entire community and as an incentive they gave me a monthly discount on my bill. In order to do it they had to install a special switch inside my house and they certainly needed my permission to do it. I could disable it at any time.
Just for clarity, I'm assuming you gave them permission to shut off your a/c, when other areas were experiencing brownouts?

Once again we see government getting away with shit.

As landlord I cannot cut off a tenant's utilities because it is against the law.

As long as this woman is paying her bill then it should be illegal to cut off her water supply.

Period.

I read shit like this and I have never been happier to have my own well and septic system. At least I won't be at the mercy of corrupt nosy pushy bureaucrats telling me what I can and can't do in my own home.
For what it's worth, it's also against the law for a utility company to refuse service to someone asking for it. And there are even conditions where if they don't pay their bill, their service still cannot be shut off.

The pro-choice attitude disappears when it comes to obeying liberal orders. No choice on Obamacare.
That stopped being a liberal bill when they took out the "public option" and put in the "mandate".

No choice on smart meters.
Why should you have a choice on something you don't own?

No choice on not joining unions at some jobs.
That has nothing to do with liberals.

No choice in lightbulbs.
You're full of shit here!

No choice in the quality of your toilet or the dependability of your appliances.
You desire a bad quality toilet?

No big, safe cars, if they had their way.
Big cars are safe. They're just not energy efficient.

You're full of shit here too!

if they could only shred the constitution and bill of rights.
That was already done by a conservative President and legislature when they enacted the Patriot and Military Commission's Acts. Liberals were against those bills.

If liberals had their way, we would go back to the stone ages because they hate trucks,
I like trucks!

big houses
Like them too!

or any other luxury (unless it's theirs)
True.

and they bitch about conserving water and we're supposed to only use one square of toilet paper.
So use the TV guide, if you don't like that. But crumple it first (sharp edges ya know).

I don't know how we can do that and still save water unless....... ew, I don't want to think about it.
Stop eating so much fuckin' bran!

Liberals are about taking away your choices and forcing you to pay for other people's choices that they agree with. They know better how we should run our lives and they intend to force us to live as they see fit. Now, do as you're told and shut up. The libs are our new gods.
I have to admit, you fuckers love to broadstroke.

Dude, please. Put down the bottle. We agree more on this issue than we disagree. The OP is about water meters, not watt hour meters.
I'm sorry, but I've been an electrical engineer for the last 30 years and I'm a little sensitive when people challenge me on subjects that have to do with how I earn a living.

With that being said, I apologize.

I fought the city to noT install that bullshit smart meter on my house but they said "It's either we come and change it over to the "new and improved" meter or you go without utilites."

CRIMINALS. :evil:

So what exactly IS a smart meter? How do I know if I have one? The existing one has gone digital on me. Is that a "smart" meter? How do they communicate back to Smart Meter Headquarters? Radio? Telepathy? Pigeons?

Is my "Smart Meter" going to become self-aware on August 27th?

The appliances are being built. Depotoo and I posted the examples from GE.. Today your garage door can be converted into an internet appliance just as easily as your fridge. Like I said, today it is a voluntary option and the user can allow the power utility to schedule their appliances TODAY. THe advantage supposedly being taking advantage of "off peak" pricing. California is already starting to enforce a requirement of having HVAC units capable of being INDIVIDUALLY disabled by the central grid controllers..

So much for BillOReally's claim that the power company can't come thru the outside service box. They CAN TODAY if they are INVITED IN. In fact, the control signaling is ALREADY there in a Smart Meter.. Tomorrow -- you won't have a choice when the grid starts winking out from all that flaky wind and solar you guys bought.

You 2 yuck it up about my "background".. I have been blessed with a very productive and amazing career.. And I don't claim to have "a degree in EE".. I have SEVERAL in and around Electrical Engineering. PM me if you want to chat about machine intelligience, optical computing, biomedical instrumentation, circuit design and firmware, Shuttle launch instrumentation, communications and signal intelligience gathering, earth resource image processing, virtual reality simulation or any number of related projects I've contributed to..

I found you a new avatar...you're welcome.
So are you expecting to keep the same appliances you have for the rest of your life?
Can't back up your assertions anymore so you have to resort to cartoons?

I suspect there will be plenty of older appliances available for as long as I am alive. Heck, I am still using a washer & dryer that are 35+ years old.

Last edited:

Troll, troll, troll your boat...

Yer pathetic, junior.

Forum List

Back