Allow us to install smart meters or lose your water ...

The intent of smart electric meters is so that the utility can MONETIZE and maximize your billing.
It includes the ability to do "time of day" pricing with no financial advantage to you. They can also start charging for esoteric things that 99% of people don't even know about.. Like "power factor" correction. Which means that there is "phantom energy" created by motors and other loads that the utilities currently don't get paid for.. NOW --- with "smart" meters --- they can and they will....

And EVENTUALLY (with the blessings of every leftist in this country) control INDIVIDUAL breakers in a home. So that utilities can operate with smaller reserve capacities and snap off your refrigerator for a couple hours a day while you're at work.. Or turn off your outdoor flood lights after 20 minutes.

The intent of smart electric meters is so that the utility can MONETIZE and maximize your billing.
It includes the ability to do "time of day" pricing with no financial advantage to you. They can also start charging for esoteric things that 99% of people don't even know about.. Like "power factor" correction. Which means that there is "phantom energy" created by motors and other loads that the utilities currently don't get paid for.. NOW --- with "smart" meters --- they can and they will....

And EVENTUALLY (with the blessings of every leftist in this country) control INDIVIDUAL breakers in a home. So that utilities can operate with smaller reserve capacities and snap off your refrigerator for a couple hours a day while you're at work.. Or turn off your outdoor flood lights after 20 minutes.

You have a link or is this just your paranoid opinion?

It is the water companies meter. They can put in as smart or as dumb a meter as they choose

Just because the old lady sleeps with a tin foil hat does not make her right. Don't want the meter? Cancel your water

They were never needed before, why are they needed now? Water and sewage systems have been functioning fine since the ancient India and the aqueducts of Rome.

Damn that Obama. I bet he'll run my washing machine when I'm not around just to jack up my power usage and cost me money!!!

It is the water companies meter. They can put in as smart or as dumb a meter as they choose

Just because the old lady sleeps with a tin foil hat does not make her right. Don't want the meter? Cancel your water

They were never needed before, why are they needed now? Water and sewage systems have been functioning fine since the ancient India and the aqueducts of Rome.

We got along fine without cars and cell phones for hundreds of years too.

The smart meters save the utility company money, why shouldn't they use them?

... said the city of Baraboo, Wisconsin to an 81-year-old woman who

(a) has reason to believe that earlier smart meters installed on the outside of her house affected her heart and
(b) is a sharp cookie who is concerned about the privacy issues involved with smart meters.

81-year-old Baraboo woman has water shut off - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI ? News, Weather and Sports |

Smart meters collect extensive information about your activity, including for instance when your household alarms are on. This vital information about you is subject to hacking.

I heard her on the radio this morning and she is on the ball. She cares about both her health and the principle involved. People shouldn't be able to say, "make all the information about your comings and goings and other habits available to us, or you don't get utilities".

She's been without running water for two days now. Drinking bottled water, cooking and flushing with water brought over by people who've heard of her plight, doing her laundry and bathing at her daughter's house.

She's gonna tough this out.

May Baraboo feel the heat of bad press!

Sounds like a kook.

I had no idea it was the leftists that supported private business rights to charge people what they want.

THIS OP is about smart WATER meters.. So my comments aren't directly applicable.

I believe the "smart" in a water meter just has to do with being able to read it thru a radio link --- so that the meter reader can just do a drive-by.. Can't imagine any other "smart" features other than maybe a "leak detection" or pressure alert feature.

On my comments about ELECTRIC smart meters.. They stand. That is the plan. You should "duckduckgo.com" it...

Or if you don't understand why the electric utility is looking for ways to charge you more, look up smart meters and "power factor".. I gotta earn some money today...

I don't have the full story on this but I heard......
Cable TV providers will begin to install a system by which they can
look into your home as you watch TV.

They will monitor not only what you watch,when you watch but also how many people
are sitting in front of that TV as it's being watched.

Maybe this will be offered along with a discount.
As one who is now closing in on $170.00 a month bill I may be interested if the discount was substantial.

THIS OP is about smart WATER meters.. So my comments aren't directly applicable.

I believe the "smart" in a water meter just has to do with being able to read it thru a radio link --- so that the meter reader can just do a drive-by.. Can't imagine any other "smart" features other than maybe a "leak detection" or pressure alert feature.

On my comments about ELECTRIC smart meters.. They stand. That is the plan. You should "duckduckgo.com" it...

Or if you don't understand why the electric utility is looking for ways to charge you more, look up smart meters and "power factor".. I gotta earn some money today...

What are Smart Meters?
Smart meters are updated, digital versions of the traditional electricity meter attached to the outside of your home, and they not only measure how much electricity is used, but also at what times during the day. Smart meters are designed to gather pricing and usage information from the utility company and transmit signals to the smart appliances or devices in your home. Utility companies who provide their customers with smart meters are able to implement variable (time-of-use) pricing to help distribute a community's electricity load more evenly throughout the day.

What is variable (or time-of-use) pricing?
Variable pricing simply means that the rate a utility company is charging for electricity use changes according to the time of day.

Energy rates may be highest during the times of day when electricity use is at its peak-for example, in the evening when many people are doing laundry, cooking dinner, or running the dishwasher. In some areas, peak usage can also include exceptionally hot days, when AC units put a large strain on the grid. During peak times when the highest levels of electricity are being consumed, utility companies offset the expensive peak power by raising rates. This helps to shed or shift load and help prevent blackouts.

Using the smart grid, the utility company can send signals directly to the smart meter to communicate changing energy prices based on time-of-use. As energy is consumed at different periods throughout the day, the meter will adjust billing rates accordingly. This makes it more important than ever to be aware of the way your home is using energy.
Monitoring Energy, Energy Monitor | GE Nucleus
Or let's say you work nights and thus need to use the washer, dryer, et al during the peak of the heat in the summer, guess what? They could charge you more.

So if your schedule just happens to be that you need to wash clothes at the same time of day as most people, then you will be unfortunate enough to have to pay higher rates.

Last edited:
I don't have the full story on this but I heard......
Cable TV providers will begin to install a system by which they can
look into your home as you watch TV.

They will monitor not only what you watch,when you watch but also how many people
are sitting in front of that TV as it's being watched.

Maybe this will be offered along with a discount.
As one who is now closing in on $170.00 a month bill I may be interested if the discount was substantial.

This sounds like the kind of story that is mostly fiction. But regardless of the details, I urge everyone to cancel their cable. Save the money, and start reading more. TV is a bad enough addiction as is even when it's only broadcast TV. Once you start adding all those additional stations which cater to every looney subgenre interest whether it's 24 hour cartoons, game shows 'round the clock, westerns, or whatever else you choose to name, any person could potentially become a fat, dull, couch potato with no real life.

LOL! They affect your health in the same way wifi or cell phones would.
Who the hell stands with their body pressed against a utility meter?

And they certainly don't keep track of people's comings and goings and alarms. What a load of BS.
They monitor power usage. Your security system uses more current when it is in an "alarm" condition, than it does when it is in "stand-by" mode. So, the smart meter does know when your alarms go off.

Wait a minute. How does a smart water meter monitor power usage anyway and why?

They can monitor your usage by the second if they choose, most places where smart meters have been installed offer an online capability for you to check your usage in 15 min intervals. Wattage consumption patterns can tell someone allot about the way you live your life, there are companies that will pay for that information.

No meter reader required for a smart meter, water or electric, they use communications nodes to read and relay the meter information.

The OP is about different kinds of meters, and two different issues -- health and privacy. So all your observations are welcome in spite of the mockery from peanut gallery. :thup:

Electric and gas were the first two to go in. The woman who is making the high profile objection didn't have any say with the first two, didn't even know about the first one until after the fact. But they're all important to this topic.

The OP is about different kinds of meters, and two different issues -- health and privacy. So all your observations are welcome in spite of the mockery from peanut gallery. :thup:

Electric and gas were the first two to go in. The woman who is making the high profile objection didn't have any say with the first two, didn't even know about the first one until after the fact. But they're all important to this topic.

My understanding is they can all (gas, electric and water) connect through one grid.

The Columbus Dispatch has a story today about how police in central Ohio and other parts of the state have been subpoenaing the energy-use records of people suspected of indoor marijuana growing operations.

Marijuana plants apparently need a lot of sunshine to grow. So, anyone attempting to cultivate weed inside their homes typically end up having to use plenty of high-wattage light bulbs. One result: the energy consumption of such homes tends to be between three and five times higher than comparably-sized homes in the same area.

So, by subpoenaing the utility records of suspected growers, police apparently can quickly figure out if they have enough probable cause for further investigation.

It's the sort of news that's likely to make privacy advocates squirm, at a time when utilities around the country are deploying smart grid technologies....

In a report released last year, the U.S. Department of Energy warned how the energy management data captured by smart-metering systems could provide a pretty detailed profile of the behavior and activities of a particular household. The report called for polices that would restrict information sharing between utility companies and data aggregators.

Even if such policies were to be passed, law enforcement authorities would still, in all likelihood, have access to the data when pursuing investigations. Though utilities may not want to share the data, they could be forced to, by a subpoena.

Will the smart grid become law enforcement's new best friend? | Computerworld Blogs
Energy Department warns over smart grid privacy - Computerworld

... said the city of Baraboo, Wisconsin to an 81-year-old woman who

(a) has reason to believe that earlier smart meters installed on the outside of her house affected her heart and
(b) is a sharp cookie who is concerned about the privacy issues involved with smart meters.

81-year-old Baraboo woman has water shut off - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI ? News, Weather and Sports |

Smart meters collect extensive information about your activity, including for instance when your household alarms are on. This vital information about you is subject to hacking.

I heard her on the radio this morning and she is on the ball. She cares about both her health and the principle involved. People shouldn't be able to say, "make all the information about your comings and goings and other habits available to us, or you don't get utilities".

She's been without running water for two days now. Drinking bottled water, cooking and flushing with water brought over by people who've heard of her plight, doing her laundry and bathing at her daughter's house.

She's gonna tough this out.

May Baraboo feel the heat of bad press!

Sounds like a kook.

she sounds like a 'smart' person to me....

see below link for readings from a smart water meter vs what is safe...plus comments by Dr. David Carpenter who is a prestigious Harvard Med. School graduate and public health official who has done extensive research on EMFs...

“Smart” meters are a topic that is heating up around the country. Already the state of California has had 45 cities and counties ban the smart electric meters (as of 8/18/11) . There was a lawsuit against the Maine Public Utilities Commission (MPUC) that found it was an unjust and unreasonable practice for Central Maine Power Company (CMP) to refuse to permit residential and small commercial customers to opt-out of CMP’s smart meter program.

This is an important issue because there is a fast moving plan by utilities to blanket the U.S. with “Smart” water, gas and electric meters for the benefit of the utilities, but at the expense of citizen’s health. In Minnesota we have helped the effort of local people concerned with the smart water meters installed inside the basement of resident's homes. We made this video below to support the opt out program that is now in place. It demonstrates measurements of the pulsed radiation from the water meter and compares them to Building Biology guidelines.

Intentional Environment - Smart Meters

In other words, to hell with your rights! You'll take the meter or else!

That's right! It's not like the Utility Companies were built with your Tax Money or anything.

Go watch some more TV!

So that justifies keeping a horse and buggy infrastructure

Libturd overreaching again.

By while we're on the subject, why is Obama spending $7B on power infrastructure in Africa while he's threatening to shut down power plants here in the United States. A process, by the way, that will cause more strain on an obselete power grid?

In other words, to hell with your rights! You'll take the meter or else!

fascist control at your doorstep....

and where's the fucking EPA in all this......?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back