Allow us to install smart meters or lose your water ...

The intent of smart electric meters is so that the utility can MONETIZE and maximize your billing.
It includes the ability to do "time of day" pricing with no financial advantage to you. They can also start charging for esoteric things that 99% of people don't even know about.. Like "power factor" correction. Which means that there is "phantom energy" created by motors and other loads that the utilities currently don't get paid for.. NOW --- with "smart" meters --- they can and they will....
Power factor is not phantom energy. Not every device, piece of equipment or motor, runs at 100% efficiency. Especially when you have old motors or equipment. If you have a motor with a .8pf, it is running at 80% of its original rating. Consequently, you have to give it more power for it to run at (or near) its original nameplate data. Let me put this another way, if you have a very old house with a 100A service. And the power factor of this home is .8pf and there was no increase in utility company power to that home, your maximum service is 80A. So, to get you back to the full capacity of your service, the utility company has to give you more power to compensate for the reduced efficiency of your home loads.

Power factor is very real and it affects all types of equipment.

And EVENTUALLY (with the blessings of every leftist in this country) control INDIVIDUAL breakers in a home. So that utilities can operate with smaller reserve capacities and snap off your refrigerator for a couple hours a day while you're at work.. Or turn off your outdoor flood lights after 20 minutes.
A utility company cannot control your individual breakers because their jurisdiction stops at the meter. Everything on the load side of the meter is your business, not theirs.

Libturd overreaching again.

By while we're on the subject, why is Obama spending $7B on power infrastructure in Africa while he's threatening to shut down power plants here in the United States. A process, by the way, that will cause more strain on an obselete power grid?
That's a good question!

Hater dupes DO tend to be anti-science, conspiracy types. I am all for privacy, but people being scared of vaccinations have real consequences. WTH are they teaching these days?

Hater dupes DO tend to be anti-science, conspiracy types. I am all for privacy, but people being scared of vaccinations have real consequences. WTH are they teaching these days?

You are a mouthpiece of the Corporate Establishment, whether you know it or not.

Africa is the next big market, and we shouldn't let China have it. Money well spent. Also, $7b sounds like Pubcrappe....

Libturd overreaching again.

By while we're on the subject, why is Obama spending $7B on power infrastructure in Africa while he's threatening to shut down power plants here in the United States. A process, by the way, that will cause more strain on an obselete power grid?
That's a good question!

all part of his redistribution plan......or the 'transformation of America'.....

You are a mouthpiece of the Corporate Establishment, whether you know it or not.

I thought I was a communist! I just believe in overwhelming science... There are something 40% who believe or are in doubt vaccinations cause autism (not to mention the 22% the same with Obama being the anti-christ lol), from one study that's been totally discredited- not to mention global warming. I'm still waiting on this one.

question: why do they want to put water 'smart' meters inside the house.....? aren't most water meters outside...?

You have a link or is this just your paranoid opinion?

THIS OP is about smart WATER meters.. So my comments aren't directly applicable.

I believe the "smart" in a water meter just has to do with being able to read it thru a radio link --- so that the meter reader can just do a drive-by.. Can't imagine any other "smart" features other than maybe a "leak detection" or pressure alert feature.

On my comments about ELECTRIC smart meters.. They stand. That is the plan. You should "duckduckgo.com" it...

Or if you don't understand why the electric utility is looking for ways to charge you more, look up smart meters and "power factor".. I gotta earn some money today...

What are Smart Meters?
Smart meters are updated, digital versions of the traditional electricity meter attached to the outside of your home, and they not only measure how much electricity is used, but also at what times during the day. Smart meters are designed to gather pricing and usage information from the utility company and transmit signals to the smart appliances or devices in your home. Utility companies who provide their customers with smart meters are able to implement variable (time-of-use) pricing to help distribute a community's electricity load more evenly throughout the day.

What is variable (or time-of-use) pricing?
Variable pricing simply means that the rate a utility company is charging for electricity use changes according to the time of day.

Energy rates may be highest during the times of day when electricity use is at its peak-for example, in the evening when many people are doing laundry, cooking dinner, or running the dishwasher. In some areas, peak usage can also include exceptionally hot days, when AC units put a large strain on the grid. During peak times when the highest levels of electricity are being consumed, utility companies offset the expensive peak power by raising rates. This helps to shed or shift load and help prevent blackouts.

Using the smart grid, the utility company can send signals directly to the smart meter to communicate changing energy prices based on time-of-use. As energy is consumed at different periods throughout the day, the meter will adjust billing rates accordingly. This makes it more important than ever to be aware of the way your home is using energy.
Monitoring Energy, Energy Monitor | GE Nucleus
Or let's say you work nights and thus need to use the washer, dryer, et al during the peak of the heat in the summer, guess what? They could charge you more.

So if your schedule just happens to be that you need to wash clothes at the same time of day as most people, then you will be unfortunate enough to have to pay higher rates.

Exactly.. You can see this "smart grid" trap setting up.. From the GE Nucleus stuff you posted...

Connected Home Manager, Energy Monitor | GE Nucleus

GE Profile™ Series' Brillion-enabled appliances are designed to work with Nucleus. When your
smart meter** signals a change in the variable utility rate, the appliances automatically adjust their operation.

Track time-of-use rates as they fluctuate throughout the day and anticipate the appliances' behavior in response to the changing rates. Allow automated responses from your appliances during peak pricing times.
Override the automatic settings, so you can choose when and how to use your home's energy.

Smart meters are 2 way communications. TODAY -- it's VOLUNTARY.. in the near future, it will be law... There is the capability to control every breaker and every appliance in your home.. Working on signals from the electrical utility.. TODAY..

So despite the uninformed ramblings of BilloReally and others --- we need to understand what's being designed and how it might be SEVERLY ABUSED by politicos with an agenda....

THe OP tho --- is a pretty straight forward case of minor hysteria..

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nij-_gAMj-4&feature=player_embedded]Separating the Facts from the Fiction about Smart Meters - YouTube[/ame]

Is fact greater than fiction? When it comes to understanding the world around us, most of us would say yes. In this video, the Smart Grid Consumer Collaborative reveals the truth about advanced electrical meters, or “smart meters,” dispelling misinformed claims which allege that that these devices infringe on personal privacy, are harmful to human health, and in summary, may just be the Fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse!

Outside of books and movies, there’s no reason that fiction should reign over fact. Watch the quick video, get the facts about smart meters from credible sources, and make the decision for yourself.

© 2009–2013 Smart Grid Consumer Collaborative

Separating the Facts from the Fiction about Smart Meters - YouTube

Is fact greater than fiction? When it comes to understanding the world around us, most of us would say yes. In this video, the Smart Grid Consumer Collaborative reveals the truth about advanced electrical meters, or “smart meters,” dispelling misinformed claims which allege that that these devices infringe on personal privacy, are harmful to human health, and in summary, may just be the Fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse!

Outside of books and movies, there’s no reason that fiction should reign over fact. Watch the quick video, get the facts about smart meters from credible sources, and make the decision for yourself.

© 2009–2013 Smart Grid Consumer Collaborative

Fact or Fiction eh? From the guy who told me JUST LAST WEEK, how great the smart grid will be when they can shut off your refrigerator "for just a moment" to balance the grid load???

In this thread ---- http://www.usmessageboard.com/7451646-post205.html you posted this gem..

Smart grids: The energy storage problem : Nature News

But by far the most cost-effective approach to large-scale electric energy storage is to minimize the need for it. That is one of the goals set out earlier this year in the US stimulus bill, which allocated $4.3 billion to research and development in renewable-energy generation, energy efficiency and, most especially, a 'smart grid'. Instead of simply adjusting the supply of electricity in response to the vagaries of unpredictable demand, a smart grid would constantly adjust demand as well. When demand hits a peak, for example, the grid might start cutting power for household refrigerators, office air-conditioning systems and other non-urgent uses — just for a moment in each case, and nothing that anyone would notice, but enough to smooth out variations in the overall load.

Beware the messenger trying to calm your fears --- there's seems to be a diff "rational explanation" every week..

You have a link or is this just your paranoid opinion?

THIS OP is about smart WATER meters.. So my comments aren't directly applicable.

I believe the "smart" in a water meter just has to do with being able to read it thru a radio link --- so that the meter reader can just do a drive-by.. Can't imagine any other "smart" features other than maybe a "leak detection" or pressure alert feature.

On my comments about ELECTRIC smart meters.. They stand. That is the plan. You should "duckduckgo.com" it...

Or if you don't understand why the electric utility is looking for ways to charge you more, look up smart meters and "power factor".. I gotta earn some money today...

The OP is about different kinds of meters, and two different issues -- health and privacy. So all your observations are welcome in spite of the mockery from peanut gallery. :thup:

Electric and gas were the first two to go in. The woman who is making the high profile objection didn't have any say with the first two, didn't even know about the first one until after the fact. But they're all important to this topic.
you are flailing here. Smart meters for gas are meaningless since you pay for your gas before it is used. Did this woman cancel her electric and gas? No, she did not. This is nothing but fauxrage or dementia facilitated by rightwingnutters. How sad to see the nutters taking advantage of old people.

lol. accusing me of flailing sounds like flailing.

I simply noted that this discussion is not limited to water meters.

But thanks for your concern. :)

The OP is about different kinds of meters, and two different issues -- health and privacy. So all your observations are welcome in spite of the mockery from peanut gallery. :thup:

Electric and gas were the first two to go in. The woman who is making the high profile objection didn't have any say with the first two, didn't even know about the first one until after the fact. But they're all important to this topic.
you are flailing here. Smart meters for gas are meaningless since you pay for your gas before it is used. Did this woman cancel her electric and gas? No, she did not. This is nothing but fauxrage or dementia facilitated by rightwingnutters. How sad to see the nutters taking advantage of old people.

I don't know where you live but I have never in my long life paid for my gas before I used it.

I don't know where you live but I have never in my long life paid for my gas before I used it.
No? It is true that no one where I live uses gas for heating. So feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I was under the impression that you fill your tank, much like in a car, or a bbq propane tank, and use it at your leisure. Having already paid for it.

Monitoring Energy, Energy Monitor | GE Nucleus
Or let's say you work nights and thus need to use the washer, dryer, et al during the peak of the heat in the summer, guess what? They could charge you more.

So if your schedule just happens to be that you need to wash clothes at the same time of day as most people, then you will be unfortunate enough to have to pay higher rates.

Exactly.. You can see this "smart grid" trap setting up.. From the GE Nucleus stuff you posted...

Connected Home Manager, Energy Monitor | GE Nucleus

GE Profile™ Series' Brillion-enabled appliances are designed to work with Nucleus. When your
smart meter** signals a change in the variable utility rate, the appliances automatically adjust their operation.

Track time-of-use rates as they fluctuate throughout the day and anticipate the appliances' behavior in response to the changing rates. Allow automated responses from your appliances during peak pricing times.
Override the automatic settings, so you can choose when and how to use your home's energy.

Smart meters are 2 way communications. TODAY -- it's VOLUNTARY.. in the near future, it will be law... There is the capability to control every breaker and every appliance in your home.. Working on signals from the electrical utility.. TODAY..

So despite the uninformed ramblings of BilloReally and others --- we need to understand what's being designed and how it might be SEVERLY ABUSED by politicos with an agenda....

THe OP tho --- is a pretty straight forward case of minor hysteria..

Hey Thomas Edison, please tell me HOW current appliances could be cut off TODAY?

Would little gremlins crawl out of the meter and yank the 110 cords out of the wall?

Smart Meters are needed so that the Water company can monitor and shut off your water supply whenever they need to. And WHEN would they need to? Well, that's none of your business.

Also, whatever you guys do DON'T point a CB antenna at a Smart Meter, it WILL destroy it.

How so?

Forum List

Back