Along Came A Spider...

I was intrigued and scanned some more for "Arachnids, Florida woods" on Bing! and found this shot:

HillsboroughRiverSP_spider.jpg

Credits: Official State Park Photo Contest

I wish i had a picture of the spider we found in Tennessee a few years ago. We were visiting my son and family at Ft Campbell, and at the apartment they lived in we found a spider that was only maybe an inch long, but it had a red butt. So, seeing red we automatically figured it was poisonous. My DIL went to get a jar to put it in and their neighbor stepped on the spider while she was gone. But not hard enough to smush it, but it was dead. So we took it in the jar and started looking it up on line.

I can't remember what it was called, but we found out it was a very rare spider, normally only found in the eastern states, but can be found as far as Tennessee. It wasn't poisonous and because of the rarity there was an email address you could write to if you found any. So we were a little upset the neighbor had killed it. But stepping on spiders is my first reaction too!!!!

If they're in the house they get squished.

If they're poisonous, they get squished.

Outside, I don't care, they can do what they want. They eat mosquitoes, it's true...but spiders also attrack nasty critters that eat them as well (which is another reason they get squished if they're in the house....have you ever seen a house centipede? They like to eat spiders, so if you have a spider problem, you can also get a house centipede problem...blech. Mice eat them, too).

My son calls these "Spiderpedes":

HouseCentipede.jpg

My first thought on seeing the title was an Andrew Dice Clay line.:D

Little Miss Muffet, sat on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey.
Along came a spider and sat down beside her, and said,
"Hey, what's in the bowl bitch?"

I love him! :lol:

I cropped and blew up Joe's spider. I noticed slightly segmented legs OR legs marked to make them different. Click on the thumbnail to see the larger version if it would help identify the spider. :)

Attachments

• $Arachnid, AVG-JOE.jpg
    $Arachnid, AVG-JOE.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 104
Holy crap!

:disbelief:

You just don't think of spiders eating reptiles!

They got some bad ass spiders down under. I remember a some tribe ( i cant remember which or where) would wind the web around leaves to catch fish!

Where's the bug spray?

Immie

Say it ain't so!

Aside from the beauty of the spider, his web is full of little white dots that used to be mosquitoes. Anything that size that consumes its weight in mini-vampires is a friend of mine.

Spiders give me the creeps especially if I don't know whether they are poisonous or not. Of course, I distinctly remember waking one morning to red streaks running up and down my right arm. Never found the culrpit either, but I know it was a spider!

Immie

Hey Immie, I was driving a Ryder truck to Texas from Colorado in the early days of October. I was on highway 287, southeast of Pueblo and I was coming up to the Oklahoma border. The sun had gone down behind the mountains but there was still plenty of light. As I looked ahead, it appeared that the road was moving........as I approached the spot I realized I had come upon a herd of 100s of thousands of tarantulas hauling ass, migrating out. as far as I could see in each direction were tarantulas...... I didn't even think of stopping to take photos, I just punched it. I'm sure I killed hundreds in the few seconds it took to get across them.

Sweet dreams.....:razz:

Last edited:
Say it ain't so!

Aside from the beauty of the spider, his web is full of little white dots that used to be mosquitoes. Anything that size that consumes its weight in mini-vampires is a friend of mine.

Spiders give me the creeps especially if I don't know whether they are poisonous or not. Of course, I distinctly remember waking one morning to red streaks running up and down my right arm. Never found the culrpit either, but I know it was a spider!

Immie

Hey Immie, I was driving a Ryder truck to Texas from Colorado in the early days of October. I was on highway 287, southeast of Pueblo and I was coming up to the Oklahoma border. The sun had gone down behind the mountains but there was still plenty of light. As I looked ahead, it appeared that the road was moving........as I approached the spot I realized I had come upon a herd of 100s of thousands of tarantulas hauling ass, migrating out. as far as I could see in each direction were tarantulas...... I didn't even think of stopping to take photos, I just punched it. I'm sure I killed hundreds in the few seconds it took to get across them.

I've seen that a few times, too, sitarro, seems it was West Texas. I'm not certain if it's a seasonal migration deal or before or after a rainstorm. They go crazy, and nothing stops them from engaging in this willy-nilly run, when they deign to do it. Maybe that's why their name is tarantula. It's a mad dance they do.

Last edited:
Say it ain't so!

Immie

If it were me, I would have run over them, stopped, put it in reverse and run over them again... oh, a few hundred times! Probably until I had just enough gas to get to the next gas station. :)

Immie

Found an image somewhat like your specimen, but I couldn't get a good enough description where I looked. Although this one is classified as Hogna coloradensis, it may not be as big as your little friend. Although some things about this spider remind me of yours--thick legs, an odd abdominal marking (not clear on your photo, but slightly there), his usual area is the great southwest up through Colorado. I've never seen one.

9QRS1QLS8QOKHKEKHKEKHKPKZKT0QK2KLKC0PQO00K9K2QA09Q1KVQZSPQEK0KT0VQVKXKBKBQTKXK1K5K30WQ309Q.jpg

I looked up Wolf Spiders, which Syrenn suggested and here's one called "Hogna carolinensis"

Wolf_Spider_8_eyes_PB032198.JPG

This spider ID page has a close-looking specie, but all it says it is not a brown recluse. It is a spider ID page.

Good luck finding the name of your specie, AVG-JOE, but your best bet is to get an old glass 2-gallon jar with a big lid, tell the spider to hop in, and take it to the nearest entomology department university lab in your area. Of course, the spider may not cooperate... :D

I think Syrenn had the right idea. The 2 above pictures were as close as I could get to your critter. As I recollect from your image, the specie has a larger thorax than abdomen region.

Your picture makes him appear white with a pink distinctive abdomen mark on my monitor. What a weirdo.

Recluses don't make a web to catch their pray. They are ground hunters like wolf spiders.

I wish I had a photo of my son's tarantulas......he has 2.....pets he calls them.
Feeds them crickets and other stuff.
Ugly hairy things....creepy.

Immie

I've seen that a few times, too, sitarro, seems it was West Texas. I'm not certain if it's a seasonal migration deal or before or after a rainstorm. They go crazy, and nothing stops them from engaging in this willy-nilly run, when they deign to do it. Maybe that's why their name is tarantula. It's a mad dance they do.

How much would that suck to be hitchhiking and see that coming at you?

Forum List

Back