Amazon is using thermal cameras to screen warehouse workers for COVID-19

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Amazon is exploring different technological approaches to screening warehouse workers for COVID-19. The internet retailer has confirmed to Reuters that it’s using thermal cameras at some warehouses to check for fevers that may be indicative of the new coronavirus. The company didn’t explain the decision, but the method should be faster and safer than conventional methods that require checking everyone with a forehead thermometer.
Workers said Amazon still asks for a thermometer check (reportedly required by an international standard) on anyone the thermal cameras flag, although that method involves slipping the thermometer through a plexiglas screen. The cameras could nonetheless be safer by reducing the amount of contact between employees, both for screeners and those who’d otherwise have to queue up for checks.
It’s not certain how many warehouses are using the cameras, although Whole Foods is also expected to replace thermometer checks with cameras at its stores.

That is actually kind of cool.

Amazon is exploring different technological approaches to screening warehouse workers for COVID-19. The internet retailer has confirmed to Reuters that it’s using thermal cameras at some warehouses to check for fevers that may be indicative of the new coronavirus. The company didn’t explain the decision, but the method should be faster and safer than conventional methods that require checking everyone with a forehead thermometer.
Workers said Amazon still asks for a thermometer check (reportedly required by an international standard) on anyone the thermal cameras flag, although that method involves slipping the thermometer through a plexiglas screen. The cameras could nonetheless be safer by reducing the amount of contact between employees, both for screeners and those who’d otherwise have to queue up for checks.
It’s not certain how many warehouses are using the cameras, although Whole Foods is also expected to replace thermometer checks with cameras at its stores.

Or warm...

Hmmm, Installing an extra hot shower in an RV to raise temperatures could get you paid leave. :spinner:
Stimulate the economy. Build RVs that provide super hot water on demand. <giggle>

Smart move.

Hmmm, Installing an extra hot shower in an RV to raise temperatures could get you paid leave. :spinner:
Stimulate the economy. Build RVs that provide super hot water on demand. <giggle>

Your internal temp and external temp are not that closely related. I feel warm to another person's touch, but since last November, my body temp runs 1.5 to 2 degrees lower than your average person. I have have NEVER had a 98.6 degree temp unless I am running a fever.

Your internal temp and external temp are not that closely related. I feel warm to another person's touch, but since last November, my body temp runs 1.5 to 2 degrees lower than your average person. I have have NEVER had a 98.6 degree temp unless I am running a fever.
Pardon my off-topic answer, but there is a reason why many people have lower temperatures. This came from a long article, but it may be why temperature checks aren't catching everyone who has COVOD-19:

“What everybody grew up learning, which is that our normal temperature is 98.6, is wrong,” said Dr. Julie Parsonnet, a professor of medicine as well as health research and policy at Stanford University School of Medicine."​
"The 98.6°F standard was established by a German doctor in 1851. Recent studies have indicated that’s too high; research on 35,000 British people found their average was 97.9°F."​
The body temperature of men born in the 2000s is 1.06°F degrees lower, on average, than men born in the early 1800s. Women have temps about 0.58°F lower than those born in the 1890s. That means body temperatures declined 0.05°F every decade.​
My temperature average is 96.8F - 97.0F. We just guess we are lower than 98.6F. I'm not certain if people who went to the poles in the nineteenth century took their temperatures and made records so we would know whether the weather influences body temperature. That's why I ended my sentence with <giggle>. While COVID-19 is no laughing matter, I try to keep it light, because of warnings that stress can lower human resistance to disease, and I've done my best to keep it light because laughter truly is a good medicine in times of pandemics.

They're also using them in some of their offices. My daughter's boyfriend is a software engineer for Amazon in Seattle, and he told me they were installing them their offices. Apparently, they have people who have to go to the office every day.

He's able to work from home, and they've only left their apartment twice in the last nine weeks...

1587255529688.png

Forum List

Back