America’s execution frenzy begins

Roughly 4% of people executed are found to be innocent. Like you said how could you tell a family coping with the death of a loved one that the murderer is still free...how could you tell the family of a wrongfully executed person "sorry"? It goes both ways.
Your 4% claim is unadulterated bullshit. Back it up.

Rate of false conviction of criminal defendants who are sentenced to death
From your link:

The rate of erroneous conviction of innocent criminal defendants is often described as not merely unknown but unknowable. We use survival analysis to model this effect, and estimate that if all death-sentenced defendants remained under sentence of death indefinitely at least 4.1% would be exonerated. We conclude that this is a conservative estimate of the proportion of false conviction among death sentences in the United States.

Read, and stop making a semi-literate ass of yourself. US public education is no excuse, but I've even bolded to make things a little less complicated.

266790-death-penalty-map.jpg

It is our "eye for an eye" states that perform the bulk of our executions

Barbaric

I assume your little chart was supposed to illicit some kind of outrage, but it actually appears that for a country where the punishment is legal, we are pretty damned reserved with it. Not even 1,300 executions in 40 years. How many convictions have there been for murder since then?

We are one of the few remaining industrialized countriew that still resorts to a death penalty. Europe and the majority of North and South America gave it up.
In our own country, only a few "god loving" states still rely on it

Time to move into the 21st century and abolish the archaic practice

A few States? My count is 37 use it and 13 don't.

I assume your little chart was supposed to illicit some kind of outrage, but it actually appears that for a country where the punishment is legal, we are pretty damned reserved with it. Not even 1,300 executions in 40 years. How many convictions have there been for murder since then?

We are one of the few remaining industrialized countriew that still resorts to a death penalty. Europe and the majority of North and South America gave it up.

Look at the states that have used it less than ten times in 38 years. Look at the states that have not had an execution in over five years. Many states still like to have a "death sentence" but don't want a "death penalty"

Lets face it, America does not love the death penalty. Texas executes almost as many as the rest of the country. It is our supposed god loving, bible belt states (Baptists) who insist on execution. Most major religions in this country now oppose it

Roughly 4% of people executed are found to be innocent. Like you said how could you tell a family coping with the death of a loved one that the murderer is still free...how could you tell the family of a wrongfully executed person "sorry"? It goes both ways.
Your 4% claim is unadulterated bullshit. Back it up.

Rate of false conviction of criminal defendants who are sentenced to death

The data is people SENTENCED TO DEATH, not executed. That's why we have the appeals process.

My, such a tough guy, Al Bundy.

Compared to the Euro-twits the continent is turning out? yes.

You confuse intelligence and culture for weakness.

Culture? LOL. Their countries may contain remnants of culture from days gone by, but the current people out there are just a poppy and deranged as other countries modern culture.

Northern Europe is a hotbed of online pedophile rings. How's that culture?

The state convicts someone, then kills them.
Then goes 'mental' when someone does the same thing to someone in society they convict in their mind of doing them or others wrong.
"Monkey see, monkey do".

The states should abolish their death chambers and give up all the killing they do in them.

Horseshit. If that is truly your understanding of it, I weep for your ignorance. One is the crime and the other is the punishment for the crime. Read a book. Figure it out.

That's an ideal view of our government. In a perfect world I would trust them to carry it out, but let's be realistic. The government has dropped the ball across the board time and time and time again.

Oh and in case you missed it, the people of the country give nothing to the government in the Constitution. The Constitution doesn't grant the government any powers...it restricts what the government can do. That's a big distinction. You really should study it sometime.

And you didn't answer my question. Why do you trust the government with the death penalty? I'm assuming you don't trust them with health care, regulating the economy, etc.? So what gives?

If it's because you like the death penalty as a concept--once again I agree in a perfect world. BUT this government has a really bad track record, including the death penalty.

You are correct, the constitution limits what the government CAN do. But in doing so, it says what the government is responsible for. I don't trust the government to do shit, but there are certain enumerated powers granted in the constitution. You really should study it sometime.

Where in the Constitution does it say that the government has the right to use the death penalty?

And if you "don't trust the government to do shit", then why do you trust them to use the death penalty?

Were you born stoopid or are you just willfully ignorant?

Liberals oppose the death penalty. Killers support the death penalty for their victims. They use it every day.

Look at the states that have used it less than ten times in 38 years. Look at the states that have not had an execution in over five years. Many states still like to have a "death sentence" but don't want a "death penalty"

Lets face it, America does not love the death penalty. Texas executes almost as many as the rest of the country. It is our supposed god loving, bible belt states (Baptists) who insist on execution. Most major religions in this country now oppose it

Yeah and look at how many are on death row. The reason the numbers are so high is because those states have ridiculous appeals systems that allow these folks to drag it out for years or lifetimes.

Last edited:
Then goes 'mental' when someone does the same thing to someone in society they convict in their mind of doing them or others wrong.
"Monkey see, monkey do".

The states should abolish their death chambers and give up all the killing they do in them.

Horseshit. If that is truly your understanding of it, I weep for your ignorance. One is the crime and the other is the punishment for the crime. Read a book. Figure it out.

Lol. 'We are going to kill you to prove that killing is wrong'.

Hasn't helped much with the murder rate, has it?

"Monkey see, monkey do".

That's silly. Killing is not always wrong, murder is.

Some people call it "murder by the State"...the State's premeditated, cold-blooding killing of human beings.

Some people call it "murder by the State"...the State's premeditated, cold-blooding killing of human beings.
There are a lot of idiots in the world, no doubt. They are free to call it anything they like. That does not change the definition of killing or murder.

Killing someone to prove that murder is wrong is also stupid.

Executing someone as punishment works for me.
Certain depraved criminal acts deserve execution.
It's our duty as a society to punish those who commit
heinous acts against it.They are beyond rehabillatation.

Killing someone to prove that murder is wrong is also stupid.

Executing someone as punishment works for me.
Certain depraved criminal acts deserve execution.
It's our duty as a society to punish those who commit
heinous acts against it.They are beyond rehabillatation.

It doesn't work for most of the civilised world.
It's our duty as civilised societies to punish those who commit heinous acts...by incarcerating them for the rest of their natural lives...in maximum security prisons.
Life in prison no parole ever...a fate worse than death.

It's our duty to keep all convicteds alive...in case they're innocent.

Besides that, death chambers are oh so 'yesterday'.
The civilised world has moved on.

60 - 35 support death penalty. A clear majority find it moral. This is something that drives distraction those who presume to set standards of morality for others, ie: the terminally self righteous.

View of Death Penalty as Morally OK Unchanged in U.S.

Morality by vote?

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for supper
You think morality should be dictated by bible thumpers? Or maybe you should do so?

Please don't assume that you have the moral standing to establish what is moral. It truly makes you look insufferably self-righteous.

Forum List

Back