American Farmer: Trump took away all our markets

Ohio farmer who backed Trump says he won't be voting for him in 2020: "I have to protect my business"

OHIO FARMER WHO BACKED TRUMP SAYS HE WON'T BE VOTING FOR HIM IN 2020: 'I HAVE TO PROTECT MY BUSINESS'
By Brendan Cole On 8/09/19 at 9:08 AM EDT

One Donald Trump supporter has been turned off the president, and it is not because of his rhetoric on race.

A soybean farmer from Ohio has vowed not to vote for Trump again because of the trade spat the president picked with China.

Chistopher Gribbs, who owns and operates 560 acres of land, was among the three-quarters of rural voters in the farm belt who backed Trump in 2016.

But now he says his family business has suffered due to Trump's trade policies because without China, he has lost the biggest market for his product.

He told CNBC how last year, his soybean prices dropped by a fifth, selling for a local cash price of $10.50 per bushel. Now, they only fetch $9, which is right at the cost of production.

If farmers are affected and so are farm equipments manufacturers. Its worse for them because they are not part of Trump welfare bail out.
I know a dealership in Geneseo, Illinois sales is down 50% this year. If this will continue they don’t have a choice but shut down the place. He is very angry especially his 2 sons are both in college.

Like I said earlier in this thread. The ripple effect of this trade war is un imaginable. There are no winners but American consumers are the loser.

Farm equipment maker Deere's dealers reel from trade war, bad weather - Reuters

Farm equipment maker Deere's dealers reel from trade war, bad weather
Reuters
ReutersAugust 9, 2019, 10:13 AM PDT

Farm equipment maker Deere's dealers reel from trade war, bad weather

FILE PHOTO: John Deere tractors are seen for sale at a dealer in Longmont
More
By Rajesh Kumar Singh

CHICAGO (Reuters) - When China announced this week that it had stopped buying U.S. agricultural products and might impose additional tariffs on farm shipments from America, Dave Schmidt braced for another blow to his business.

The Salem, Wisconsin-based dealer of Deere & Co's <DE.N> tractors, planters and combines is grappling with declining sales and higher levels of inventory as farmers have put off equipment purchases in the wake of rain-delayed planting in the Midwest and the yearlong Sino-U.S. trade standoff.

He is not alone. Half a dozen dealers of Deere's agriculture equipment across the Midwest shared similar accounts in interviews with Reuters. One of those dealers, in Geneseo, Illinois, said sales at his dealership were down 50% so far this year from the same period last year.

This is a worrying sign for Deere, which gets nearly 60% of its sales from the United States and Canada.

this is what happens when you put a moron/failed businessman in the White House.

View attachment 272172

American farmer: Trump 'took away all of our markets'

The White House recently announced that it would be providing an additional $16 billion in aid to American farmers affected by the trade war between the U.S. and China.

But the problem for American farmers has becomes bigger than something a bailout can fix.

“This trade thing is what’s brought on by the president and it’s really frustrating because he took away all of our markets,” Bob Nuylen, a farmer from North Dakota who grows spring wheat and sunflowers, told Yahoo Finance. “We live in an area where we’re kind of in the middle of nowhere. It costs us a lot of money — over $1 a bushel to get our grain to markets.”

7a1d0c60-b22c-11e9-af7e-c71af2bf0a02

View photos

“All these countries went to different countries to get their grain,” Nuylen said. “How are we going to get the relations back with them to buy our grain again and be our customers?”

“Our prices are probably as low as I’ve seen them in a long time,” he told Yahoo Finance. “We were losing just about $70 an acre just by putting our crop in [the ground] this spring.”

I doubt it will be enough to sway Iowa to the blue column in 2020 but Ernst may have a hard time holding on to her seat if she embraces the policies that are hurting farmers in Iowa.

Forum List

Back