American tourists rank among 'worst behaved'

John Marston

Oct 23, 2014
Mesquite
It seems Americans might just be their own worst enemy when it comes to traveling abroad. That is, according to the findings of a new survey seeking to uncover the world's worst tourists

World s Worst Tourists Americans Top List In New Survey SLIDESHOW

Travel Secrets Revealed 69 of Travelers Snag Hotel Toiletries 64 Tinkle in... -- NEW YORK June 15 2015 PRNewswire --

When you travel the world, like it or not, you are a representative of your country, and your behavior—good or bad—can reflect on your nation as a whole.
Some Europeans think Americans are rude because they sometimes won't adapt to others' cultures. Or simply do not want to respect.
So WTF guys?
Some experts believe that bad behavior during travel could be attributed to Americans taking relatively fewer vacations and therefore, acting more indiscriminately during them. I think it`s BS.

It seems Americans might just be their own worst enemy when it comes to traveling abroad. That is, according to the findings of a new survey seeking to uncover the world's worst tourists

Travel Secrets Revealed 69 of Travelers Snag Hotel Toiletries 64 Tinkle in... -- NEW YORK June 15 2015 PRNewswire --

When you travel the world, like it or not, you are a representative of your country, and your behavior—good or bad—can reflect on your nation as a whole.
Some Europeans think Americans are rude because they sometimes won't adapt to others' cultures. Or simply do not want to respect.
So WTF guys?
Some experts believe that bad behavior during travel could be attributed to Americans taking relatively fewer vacations and therefore, acting more indiscriminately during them. I think it`s BS.

Not at all surprising. We're such a spoiled and self-important culture that we don't do well elsewhere comes as no surprise.

They're also the fattest.

Oh I dont know,I've seen some seriously rude frogs.

If you behave in public the way you behave here, I don't doubt that people would be rude to you. Just the fact that you refer to the French with a slur pretty much says it all.

I have never been treated rudely but I don't treat others rudely.

I've been lucky enough to travel abroad extensively.. I've been to Europe several times and I can always tell Americans from other tourists. American tourists are the ones who are dressed to mow lawns rather than visit a cathedral or museum. Americans are the loud tourists, the tacky tourists, the tourists who over tip.

I learned how not to behave from studying my fellow Americans abroad.

If you behave in public the way you behave here, I don't doubt that people would be rude to you. Just the fact that you refer to the French with a slur pretty much says it all.

You make such broad assumptions off of so little info.
The frogs are pretty well known for being rude and my interactions with them confirm it.

I totally disagree! Most Americans I've met have been polite, easy to interact with (knows English) and are quite happy going.

The absolutely worst tourists must be Russians. Rude, vile and arrogant.

Also, sorry to say, swedes at some resorts have a bad reputation, drinking and making noise.

Mostly I see my fellow Americans being foolish or not recognizing subtle differences in cultural habits and customs, not rudeness, although it may seem at times to the natives to be rude.

The frogs are pretty well known for being rude and my interactions with them confirm it.

"so little info"?

I've read enough of your posts to know you're snotty, rude and ignorant.

After reading this thread this morning, we were talking about and trying to remember any time we've been treated rudely. We could not.

However, I do remember exactly what Nosmo King described and what Robin Williams described as gallon butts in pint shorts, loud demands, believing they should have special privileges.

I also remember needing directions in Paris, stepping into a business which turned out to be a hair cutting salon and a hair cutter stepping out on the street to point out the landmarks for us. She actually apologized for her English. THAT is what we encountered in Paris, the south of France, wine country, Carcassonne, train depots and riding the trains, taking cabs, eating in restaurants, shopping, museums, cathedrals and on and on.

Same with other countries.

It was always the Americans who, like you, were rude, loud, snotty, ignorant and never ever bothered to learn even one word of another language. Or maybe, like you, they're just too damn dumb.

Bottom line is you get what you give.

"so little info"?

I've read enough of your posts to know you're snotty, rude and ignorant.

After reading this thread this morning, we were talking about and trying to remember any time we've been treated rudely. We could not.

However, I do remember exactly what Nosmo King described and what Robin Williams described as gallon butts in pint shorts, loud demands, believing they should have special privileges.

I also remember needing directions in Paris, stepping into a business which turned out to be a hair cutting salon and a hair cutter stepping out on the street to point out the landmarks for us. She actually apologized for her English. THAT is what we encountered in Paris, the south of France, wine country, Carcassonne, train depots and riding the trains, taking cabs, eating in restaurants, shopping, museums, cathedrals and on and on.

Same with other countries.

It was always the Americans who, like you, were rude, loud, snotty, ignorant and never ever bothered to learn even one word of another language. Or maybe, like you, they're just too damn dumb.

Bottom line is you get what you give.

Funny,I never seem to have a problem while traveling.

When I need a translator or any kind of assistance I look for college aged kids. Most of the time they like the opportunity to practice their English and be helpful.

So WTF guys?

The most common complaint is when an American goes in with the attitude of......you owe me because I am an American. If it had not have been for us saving your ass, where would you be? Then there are the college drunk kids.

Forum List

Back