America’s “failure in testing”

Has Trump used the full force of the Defense Production Act yet?

If he does, you'll complain.
If he doesn't, you'll complain.

I believe I recently criticized you for such stupid and thoughtless comments. As I figured, you can't learn from experience.
I read all of your posts.
I read all of everyone's posts.
The above 2 are your problem, not mine.
You are an immature ideologue.

LOL

I believe I recently criticized you for such stupid and thoughtless comments. As I figured, you can't learn from experience.

LOL
Why did you just behave like an immature ideologue with this post?

LOL

I believe you are not worth responding to, nothing you post has substance, thought or is thought provoking; that is why I coined the phrase Idiot-gram.

LOL

I believe you are not worth responding to, nothing you post has substance, thought or is thought provoking; that is why I coined the phrase Idiot-gram.

Have you read your own post, oh God the irony.

I believe America's "testing failure" is dramatically overblown. America has run 4.32 million. The next closest country is Germany at 2.07 million. Italy is next at 1.51 million. Now let's take a look at testing in terms of percentage of the population:

United States: 1.30%

Germany: 2.45%
South Korea: 1.13%
Canada: 1.51%
United Kingdom: 0.82%
France: 0.71%
Netherlands: 1.00%
Belgium: 1.48%
Sweden: 0.94%
Finland: 1.24%
Norway: 2.74%
Singapore: 1.62%
Italy: 2.50%
Spain: 1.99%

America falls somewhere in the middle among this group of countries, which is an accomplishment considering how many people there are and how physically large the country is. Germany, as an example, is smaller than the state of Montana. It is much easier to test people in a country as dense. I’ve heard people saying the lack of testing is an indictment on our healthcare system, and that narrative is just false.

Last I looked we were number 42. We've been catching up but our failure in testing was all the delays in them getting started. Time is crucial at that point.

Iceland has tested 13% of its population. I'm sure they've concentrated on it because early on they found that up to half of the positive tests were asymptomatic people, which means they were walking around infecting others and nobody knew until the test was done. So they quarantine those silent carriers, and as a result they have a fraction of the penetration that the US or most of Europe has.

Island Active 0419.jpg

Last edited:
I believe America's "testing failure" is dramatically overblown. America has run 4.32 million. The next closest country is Germany at 2.07 million. Italy is next at 1.51 million. Now let's take a look at testing in terms of percentage of the population:

America falls somewhere in the middle among this group of countries, which is an accomplishment considering how many people there are and how physically large the country is. Germany, as an example, is smaller than the state of Montana. It is much easier to test people in a country as dense. I’ve heard people saying the lack of testing is an indictment on our healthcare system, and that narrative is just false.
Testing is one of the key elements in stopping the spread of the virus. The steps are:
  1. Test
  2. Quarantine if Positive
  3. Interview to determine direct and casual contacts
  4. Trace Contacts
  5. Test Contacts
  6. Quarantine if Positive
  7. Continue the cycle as long as there are positive contacts.
In regard to stopping the spread of the virus, the need for testing is dependent on the number of people available to test, quarantine, interview, and trace contacts. The process is most effective in the early stages of the epidemic. Had there been enough testing and contact tracing in late February and March, we could have seen a considerable reduction in the number of cases and deaths, possibility even stopping the spread.

The second real reason for testing is pretty obvious, making sure a person is actually infected.

Third, when starting the opening of businesses, testing and interviewing positive cases can produce valuable information as to which business sectors are the safest to open up but it takes a lot testing to get good information.

Lastly, the number of tests should not be based on size of population because population size is not inductive of number of cases per capita. Japan has large population yet not many cases considering the size of nation. Some smaller countries have had large outbreaks.

According to the following site, on a per-capita basis, the USA is 26th out of the 87 countries listed. We are easily first in terms of raw number of tests, about double the second highest country.

And we’re set to do much more testing in the near term. They just opened a testing site in Jersey that will administer a test to anyone and everyone who requests one, regardless of symptoms or not.

THAT's the way it needs to be done. :thup:

You still have to process the tests genius. It’s not like a ventilator where it’s made & that’s it. Trump said something tonight that makes all the sense in the world & outlines the scope. We could test everyone (360,000,000 people), but lot would test false positive or false negative. A lot would test negative now & then positive later. How many times do you want people tested? What’s the turnaround? He’s rightfully pushing testing down to the states because that’s how our federal system works. That’s what makes sense. You look for hotspots & attack those.

LOL

You believe a lot of things; all you need now are facts to back up your beliefs.

Lets face it....Testing has ALWAYS been a problem for decades and Trump fixed it! Same with ventilators!

When a pandemic pops up in the future...everybody is going to ask...WHAT DID TRUMP DO?

The man rewrote the pandemic playbook in a month & did it under pressure!

Thank God we have him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets face it....Testing has ALWAYS been a problem for decades and Trump fixed it! Same with ventilators!

When a pandemic pops up in the future...everybody is going to ask...WHAT DID TRUMP DO?

You actually think the President controls all that happens in the US?
Seriously?
Trump gets no credit for the responsibilities of Federal Agencies.
They are doing their due diligence and they get the credit.

No it’s an indictment of our President.

Testing is one of the key elements in stopping the spread of the virus. The steps are:
  1. Test
  2. Quarantine if Positive
  3. Interview to determine direct and casual contacts
  4. Trace Contacts
  5. Test Contacts
  6. Quarantine if Positive
  7. Continue the cycle as long as there are positive contacts.
In regard to stopping the spread of the virus, the need for testing is dependent on the number of people available to test, quarantine, interview, and trace contacts. The process is most effective in the early stages of the epidemic. Had there been enough testing and contact tracing in late February and March, we could have seen a considerable reduction in the number of cases and deaths, possibility even stopping the spread.

The second real reason for testing is pretty obvious, making sure a person is actually infected.

Third, when starting the opening of businesses, testing and interviewing positive cases can produce valuable information as to which business sectors are the safest to open up but it takes a lot testing to get good information.

Lastly, the number of tests should not be based on size of population because population size is not inductive of number of cases per capita. Japan has large population yet not many cases considering the size of nation. Some smaller countries have had large outbreaks.

I understand all of that. My point the reputation we have for not doing a good job so far ii testing is unwarranted

I'm sorry, Obama is not my President.
I believe he was Iran's President.

According to the following site, on a per-capita basis, the USA is 26th out of the 87 countries listed. We are easily first in terms of raw number of tests, about double the second highest country.

And we’re set to do much more testing in the near term. They just opened a testing site in Jersey that will administer a test to anyone and everyone who requests one, regardless of symptoms or not.

Just opened?

The blob said that the same availability would be in place on March 10.

Just opened?

The blob said that the same availability would be in place on March 10.
Could you please run for President already!

I don’t know how you can make that case either. I’ve been critical of him for other reasons, but we’re not doing a bad job relative to the rest of the world in terms of testing, and what specifically do you think he’s doing wrong in your perception that we are lagging in tests?

You actually think the President controls all that happens in the US?
Seriously?
Trump gets no credit for the responsibilities of Federal Agencies.
They are doing their due diligence and they get the credit.

President Trump went to the PRIVATE SECTOR to fix the problems!

Ford and GM making ventilators...3M and MyPillow making masks (especially after obama used all the masks in the national stock pile & didn't replace them).

Trump knew damn well this wouldn't be over by Easter...but if he could keep us quarantined until Easter it would save hundreds of thousands of lives.

Getting competitors like wallmart & wallgreens to cooperate in a mass testing venture & donate a portion of their parking lots to do it.

Screw the gov't agencies...they are worthless!

I don’t know how you can make that case either. I’ve been critical of him for other reasons, but we’re not doing a bad job relative to the rest of the world in terms of testing, and what specifically do you think he’s doing wrong in your perception that we are lagging in tests?

On 3/10, he said anyone who needed a test could get one. It was a lie. Or do you dispute that as well

Forum List

Back