An experiment of sorts

So for example I voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 Democratic primary and Clinton in the general election,

52c.png

Hello USMessageBoard-ians

By way of introductions:
  1. I am a 36 year old computer programmer working on computer software used to coordinate emergency medical care
  2. I am politically liberal
  3. I am married to a sociologist, and have acted as research assistant/co-author on a few research projects (topics like religious deconversion and the men's rights movement)
  4. I am a part-time student in anthropology
  5. I am particularly interested in how culture, media, and the political process play a role in social change
I've been a member of a number of discussion forums over the last 20 years, but don't tend to find new forums very often, so this is kind of an experiment. It's not clear at all that it will go well, but at the very least this place appears to be... lively? I'm still trying to figure out where to actually jump into some conversations, so instead I thought I would post here and say hello instead.

Their wasn't forums 20 years ago it was all chat rooms .

By way of introductions:
  1. I am a 36 year old computer programmer working on computer software used to coordinate emergency medical care
  3. I am married to a sociologist, and have acted as research assistant/co-author on a few research projects (topics like religious deconversion and the men's rights movement)
  5. I am particularly interested in how culture, media, and the political process play a role in social change
I've been a member of a number of discussion forums over the last 20 years, but don't tend to find new forums very often, so this is kind of an experiment. It's not clear at all that it will go well, but at the very least this place appears to be... lively? I'm still trying to figure out where to actually jump into some conversations, so instead I thought I would post here and say hello instead.

A liberal? YAY!!

It seems like I have been looking forever to find one of those.

Let's discuss how Wil Kymlika's various multiculturalist theories represent the undermining of John Stuart Mill's utilitarianism as well as John Rawls earlier thories of social justice. O.K.?

You first.

Let's discuss how Wil Kymlika's various multiculturalist theories represent the undermining of John Stuart Mill's utilitarianism as well as John Rawls earlier thories of social justice. O.K.?

You first.

Best I can do is say that I was definitely influenced a lot by Rawls' Theory of Justice, although it's been a while since I've read it. Multiculturalism and J.S. Mill sounds intriguing. Do you have a book recommendation?

What is wrong with my name?

I prefer names to be autological :p

(I can't link anything yet. See the Grelling-Nelson paradox, which is the inspiration for my name)
Alright professor, enough of this. Whatever the gibberish below means, you can darned well put it into English.

The Grelling–Nelson paradox is an antinomy, or a semantic self-referential paradox, concerning the applicability to itself of the word "heterological", meaning "inapplicable to itself."

What is wrong with my name?

I prefer names to be autological :p

(I can't link anything yet. See the Grelling-Nelson paradox, which is the inspiration for my name)
Alright professor, enough of this. Whatever the gibberish below means, you can darned well put it into English.

The Grelling–Nelson paradox is an antinomy, or a semantic self-referential paradox, concerning the applicability to itself of the word "heterological", meaning "inapplicable to itself."

It means he likes to play grammar Nazi, but only because he looks so damn good in a uniform.

By way of introductions:
Welcome to USMB, well named. Hope you enjoy the many facets of all the forums here.

By way of introductions:

Yeah I'm wondering how gender got separated from sex. Welcome, BTW.

Forum List

Back