Anatomical ballistic gel tests.... 9mm vs. .45

I'll see your rocket and raise you a Death Star........

iu

Won't fit in my garage.

I used to carry a BREN 10 but the thing was impossible to get parts for. The rear sight adjusting screw would break fairly frequently so I consigned it to my collectible vault and got the Delta Elite. I defanged it, and put BOMAR low profile sights on it. It is deadly out to 300 yards which is handy in the desert.

as with many weapons, the training is usually more important for effectiveness. Won't be effective unless you hit the target
Much also depends on WHERE you hit the target.

The U.S. adopted the .45 after the government .38 (revolver) proved to be too anemic for combat in the early 1900's. The venerable .45 lasted a hundred years through two world wars and Korea and proved it's worth. The U.S. went to the 9mm in compliance with NATO standards in the 60's. Apparently the FBI and other federal agencies chose to stay with the .45 today.

Much also depends on WHERE you hit the target.

Target being center mass, etc. It's very hard to hit specific targets like head shot, arm, heart, etc. Police miss the whole body, many times. Real life is not shooting a paper target

Target being center mass, etc. It's very hard to hit specific targets like head shot, arm, heart, etc. Police miss the whole body, many times. Real life is not shooting a paper target
Very true. I am not arguing that you should be able to hit the spine of an attacker to incapacitate him. However if your shot does hit the spine that will be the likely result.

For a while I used to practice on anatomical silhouette targets somewhat like the one below. I tried to hit the spine while shooting rapid fire sequences. It’s not easy. in a real life situation it would be even more difficult.

1645391137303.jpeg

Stands to reason that the bigger the bullet the more damage it does. The ballistic velocity is the factor that is often ignored. The intent of a defensive shooting is to put the aggressor down as fast as possible with a hit to center mass. The relatively slower velocity of the heavier .45 slug tends to have greater stopping power than a high velocity 9mm but the results are debatable.

Forum List

Back