And you wonder why we call it the "liberal media" ?

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
This finding is no surprise whatsoever.

Just 7 percent of journalists are Republicans. That’s far fewer than even a decade ago.

majority of American journalists identify themselves as political independents although among those who choose a side Democrats outnumber Republicans four to one, according to a new study of the media conducted by two Indiana University professors.

Write Lars Wilnat and David Weaver, professors of journalism at Indiana,*of their findings:

Compared with 2002, the percentage of full-time U.S. journalists who claim to be Democrats has dropped 8 percentage points in 2013 to about 28 percent, moving this figure closer to the overall population percentage of 30 percent, according to a December 12-15, 2013, ABC News/Washington Post national poll of 1,005 adults. This is the lowest percentage of journalists saying they are Democrats since 1971. An even larger drop was observed among journalists who said they were Republicans in 2013 (7.1 percent) than in 2002 (18 percent), but the 2013 figure is still notably lower than the percentage of U.S. adults who identified with the Republican Party (24 percent according to the poll mentioned above).

The great thing about this survey, called "The American Journalist in the Digital Age", is that its been conducted four previous times -- in 1971, 1982, 1992 and 2002. That allows for some fascinating comparisons of how partisanship (or the lack thereof) among reporters has evolved over that time.

Back in 1971, the first time this survey was conducted, there was simply more partisanship among reporters. *More than one in three (35.5 percent) said they were Democrats while more than one in four (25.7 percent) described themselves as Republicans. At that point, 32.5 percent called themselves independents.

Over the last several decades, three things have happened: 1) The number of Democratic-identifying reporters increased steadily prior to a significant drop in the latest survey 2) The number of Republicans has steadily shrunk with that number dipping into single digits for the first time ever in the new survey c) more and more reporters are identifying as independents. *What seems to be happening -- at least in the last decade - -is that journalists are leaving both parties, finding themselves more comfortable as unaffiliateds.

These numbers will likely affirm the belief in conservative circles that "all" reporters are secretly Democrats. (The study was conducted via online interviews with 1,080 reporters.) *While I am not in the business of disputing the study's finding, I would note two caveats:

1. This is among*all*reporters not just political reporters. While that may seem like a minor issue, it's worth noting that assuming these party ID numbers are true for those of us -- like me -- who cover politics day in and day out may not be entirely accurate.

2. The movement toward independent status among reporters is in keeping with a similar move in the broader electorate as they find the two parties increasingly rigid and, therefore, less welcoming.

The entire study, which details that journalists are less happy in their jobs than ever before and that most believe the industry is headed in the wrong direction, is*worth reading in its entirety.

Just 7 percent of journalists are Republicans. That?s far fewer than even a decade ago.

Is that the same liberal media that was in-bed-with the military, and was cheer leading for the Bush led invasion and occupation of Iraq?

The vast majority identify as independent, and the number who identify as Democrat are at a historic low, and yet the topic starter concludes the media is liberal. :lol:

Last edited:
Is that the same liberal media that was in-bed-with the military, and was cheer leading for the Bush led invasion and occupation of Iraq?

How many Democrats supported the war in Iraq? I mean at least until it became unpopular and they tried stabbing our troops in the back.

I wonder if all these sources we keep hearing have sky high ratings like Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, CNS News, the Washington Times, Sean Hannity,. Breitbart, The Daily Caller, Glenn Beck, Alex Jones, and World News Daily are going to whine about this horrible news that the media is liberal.

I wonder if Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, CNS News, the Washington Times, Sean Hannity,. Breitbart, The Daily Caller, Glenn Beck, Alex Jones, and World News Daily are going to whine about this horrible news that the media is liberal.

You'ev named 4 show hosts, one news network, one newspaper, and a couple of web sites.
Now, how many liberal newspapers, networks, and web sites are there? Yeah, we know.
/fail.

The vast majority identify as independent, and the number who identify as Democrat are at a historic low, and yet the topic starter concludes the media is liberal. :lol:

Ahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa, oh you're so fucking funny, I forgot to laugh !

It's 4 to 1, Dims over Republicans. The 50% that call themselves independents would have to be overwhelmingly conservative to change the trend.

It's very safe to say here that it's a small minority here that would identify as being conservative.

The question, I guess, that needs to be asked is why people who report the news, and who must know quite a bit about current affairs, and who are literate people, are not supporting the Republican Party.

http://www.people-press.org/files/legacy-detailed_tables/Detailed tables for Party ID.pdf

28% of people with High School or less say they're Republican.
30% with some college say they're Republican.
27% of college graduates say they're Republican.
25% of post grads say they're Republican.

39% of post grads say they're Democrat, for those in college dems get 3% higher figures than reps.
For high school or less it's 8% higher.

Based on the averages of leanings towards which party (ie, 48% for dems and 43% reps overall) those with college or higher are more likely to be democrat while those with some college are more likely to be republican and those with HS or less are more likely to not lean any way (ie, this is higher than the overall average).

Money's where it's at for Republicans. 36% to 30% for reps/dems respectively for those who earn over $150,000.
Dems get more by 2% for $50,000 to $150,000 and it increases from there.

Suprisingly the employed, only 27% say they're Republican and 33% dems, while 37% are independent. However unemployed is also higher for dems.

So, Republicans don't exactly come across to those who have done well academically. If the party wants to know why, they could figure it out.

Why do you call it the liberal media?

t_2f347816ec2d42ef9a8d029a23f7dc89.jpg

And I didnt know that jounalists ran the media AND report on it too!

Becoming a Journalist isn't a sane career choice.

Believe me, I've known several of them.

Nobody, and I MEAN NOBODY gets to the top of that profession without paying their dues.

Nobody.

And what dues!! If you're an on-air personality, you MUST go to a good (read; expensive) school. No University of Phoenix degrees need apply.

So after you get out of Harvard, Columbia, Penn, Princeton or whatever and you have somewhere around $250k in College debt, you get to work at (are you sitting down) the Sioux City ABC affiliate as a Cub Reporter making $15k a year.

If you're lucky. And good. I mean, REAL good. If you're just above average, you get to work at Salon or some other rag FOR FREE. As an intern. No pay. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Shit. Squat.

The Exploited Laborers of the Liberal Media | VICE United States

So, let's see.

You spend a minimum of $250k to go to a VERY expensive school and get a thoroughly worthless degree in a thoroughly worthless field so you can graduate and get paid NOTHING to work as a lower-than-whaleshit-intern.

Then, if you get lucky, you might land a gig in a medium sized market like Poughkeepsie where you ARE ON A QUARTERLY CONTRACT.

That's right people. A 90 day contract is all you get. Unless you're in the 'Bigs'.

Good luck getting there.

Somewhere along the line you met and fell in love with someone and, guess what?

You have no home life. The entire time you're working 60 hours a week in Poughkeepsie (for around $30k a year) you're sending out applications to bigger markets. The bigger the market, the better the pay.

So you land a job in Syracuse. Same shit. 90 Days. Maybe they renew, maybe they don't. Doesn't matter because you're sending out resumes and audition tapes to every medium sized market in the Country.

Maybe you land a job in Sacramento. hoooooo, State Capital..... Maybe you'll make $40k there.

Same shit. 90 day contract.

Then you take a step backward, get your contract non-renewed and have to settle for something in Dayton Ohio.

Whatever.

I've seen it. The ONLY people who go into Journalism are Crusaders.

And NONE of them go into Journalism to report the News.

EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.OF.THEM Goes into Journalism so they can 'Make a difference'

In school, we called them 'the tubes'.

Bunch of jackasses. Every one of them. And stupid. Seriously. I'm talking... Not real bright.

Guys and Gals, journalists don't get into the field and turn to shit, they're shit before they get into the field.

And that's why they're there. Shit attracts more shit.

Last edited:
Everytime Edge posts this is who I see typing

ts

Ohhhh aahhhh pbbbtbtbtbtbt waaaa rawrrr

Nobody, and I MEAN NOBODY gets to the top of that profession without paying their dues.

Nobody.

And what dues!! If you're an on-air personality, you MUST go to a good (read; expensive) school. No University of Phoenix degrees need apply.

So after you get out of Harvard, Columbia, Penn, Princeton or whatever and you have somewhere around $250k in College debt, you get to work at (are you sitting down) the Sioux City ABC affiliate as a Cub Reporter making $15k a year.

If you're lucky. And good. I mean, REAL good. If you're just above average, you get to work at Salon or some other rag FOR FREE. As an intern. No pay. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Shit. Squat.

So, let's see.

You spend a minimum of $250k to go to a VERY expensive school and get a thoroughly worthless degree in a thoroughly worthless field so you can graduate and get paid NOTHING to work as a lower-than-whaleshit-intern.

Then, if you get lucky, you might land a gig in a medium sized market like Poughkeepsie where you ARE ON A QUARTERLY CONTRACT.

That's right people. A 90 day contract is all you get. Unless you're in the 'Bigs'.

Good luck getting there.

You have no home life. The entire time you're working 60 hours a week in Poughkeepsie (for around $30k a year) you're sending out applications to bigger markets. The bigger the market, the better the pay.

So you land a job in Syracuse. Same shit. 90 Days. Maybe they renew, maybe they don't. Doesn't matter because you're sending out resumes and audition tapes to every medium sized market in the Country.

Maybe you land a job in Sacramento. hoooooo, State Capital..... Maybe you'll make $40k there.

Then you take a step backward, get your contract non-renewed and have to settle for something in Dayton Ohio.

Whatever.

Bunch of jackasses. Every one of them. And stupid. Seriously. I'm talking... Not real bright.

Guys and Gals, journalists don't get into the field and turn to shit, they're shit before they get into the field.

Beats being unemployed.

But there are people who get jobs for the money. And there are people who get jobs because they actually like doing what they do. It makes them feel alive.

I've been working the last three years for not much money. I like my job. I'd rather do that than stress out and have a big house, a big car and stuff like that I'd never get to enjoy because i'm so stressed.

Nobody.

So, let's see.

Good luck getting there.

Whatever.

Beats being unemployed.

But there are people who get jobs for the money. And there are people who get jobs because they actually like doing what they do. It makes them feel alive.

I've been working the last three years for not much money. I like my job. I'd rather do that than stress out and have a big house, a big car and stuff like that I'd never get to enjoy because i'm so stressed.

Tell your kids that when you can't buy them the newest clothes or the most modern gadgets.

Tell your spouse that when you can't afford a vacation or for her to stay home and raise the children.

Tell your family that when your neighborhood goes to shit and you have to listen to beer fights at 2:30AM every morning and go to work stressed out from lack of sleep.

Tell yourself that when your car breaks down every other week and you can neither afford to fix it nor buy a new one.

No wonder you're a dimocrap. You fit the profile perfectly.

Lazy, self-centered, non-motivated, disinterested...... The perfect dimocrap.

Then as soon as you get in a jam, you want somebody else to bail you out, right?

Don't answer, I already know

Finally, faux news explained in one sentence:

Just 7 percent of journalists are Republicans. That?s far fewer than even a decade ago.

Why would ANY intelligent person want to become a journalist?

Why?

This finding is no surprise whatsoever.

Just 7 percent of journalists are Republicans. That’s far fewer than even a decade ago.

majority of American journalists identify themselves as political independents although among those who choose a side Democrats outnumber Republicans four to one, according to a new study of the media conducted by two Indiana University professors.

Write Lars Wilnat and David Weaver, professors of journalism at Indiana,*of their findings:

Compared with 2002, the percentage of full-time U.S. journalists who claim to be Democrats has dropped 8 percentage points in 2013 to about 28 percent, moving this figure closer to the overall population percentage of 30 percent, according to a December 12-15, 2013, ABC News/Washington Post national poll of 1,005 adults. This is the lowest percentage of journalists saying they are Democrats since 1971. An even larger drop was observed among journalists who said they were Republicans in 2013 (7.1 percent) than in 2002 (18 percent), but the 2013 figure is still notably lower than the percentage of U.S. adults who identified with the Republican Party (24 percent according to the poll mentioned above).

The great thing about this survey, called "The American Journalist in the Digital Age", is that its been conducted four previous times -- in 1971, 1982, 1992 and 2002. That allows for some fascinating comparisons of how partisanship (or the lack thereof) among reporters has evolved over that time.

Back in 1971, the first time this survey was conducted, there was simply more partisanship among reporters. *More than one in three (35.5 percent) said they were Democrats while more than one in four (25.7 percent) described themselves as Republicans. At that point, 32.5 percent called themselves independents.

Over the last several decades, three things have happened: 1) The number of Democratic-identifying reporters increased steadily prior to a significant drop in the latest survey 2) The number of Republicans has steadily shrunk with that number dipping into single digits for the first time ever in the new survey c) more and more reporters are identifying as independents. *What seems to be happening -- at least in the last decade - -is that journalists are leaving both parties, finding themselves more comfortable as unaffiliateds.

These numbers will likely affirm the belief in conservative circles that "all" reporters are secretly Democrats. (The study was conducted via online interviews with 1,080 reporters.) *While I am not in the business of disputing the study's finding, I would note two caveats:

1. This is among*all*reporters not just political reporters. While that may seem like a minor issue, it's worth noting that assuming these party ID numbers are true for those of us -- like me -- who cover politics day in and day out may not be entirely accurate.

2. The movement toward independent status among reporters is in keeping with a similar move in the broader electorate as they find the two parties increasingly rigid and, therefore, less welcoming.

The entire study, which details that journalists are less happy in their jobs than ever before and that most believe the industry is headed in the wrong direction, is*worth reading in its entirety.

Is your position that a person with a political point of view is incapable of being objective?

Tell your kids that when you can't buy them the newest clothes or the most modern gadgets.

Tell your spouse that when you can't afford a vacation or for her to stay home and raise the children.

Tell your family that when your neighborhood goes to shit and you have to listen to beer fights at 2:30AM every morning and go to work stressed out from lack of sleep.

Tell yourself that when your car breaks down every other week and you can neither afford to fix it nor buy a new one.

No wonder you're a dimocrap. You fit the profile perfectly.

Lazy, self-centered, non-motivated, disinterested...... The perfect dimocrap.

Then as soon as you get in a jam, you want somebody else to bail you out, right?

Don't answer, I already know

Any parent who has to buy the love of their kids with stuff is not that great a parent. As for holidays, I would tell you about my holiday that I'm going on, but you'd just be jealous.

And no, I'm not a democrat. Sorry, the world doesn't work in black and white, never has. There are OTHER people out there who don't play the silly little name calling games because they never quite got over leaving high school and their power behind.

I'm lazy? In some ways I am, then again if you knew what I did as a job, maybe you wouldn't. Then again I'm on holiday for a while, so I can be lazy huh?

But you can throw the insults, but you hardly said anything other than "you need all the stuff money can buy".
Seriously, my parents never had much money, I don't have much money, but I make my life what I want it, I get rid of the excess when it's completely unnecessary and I live a good life.

But that takes some thinking to be able to reach that point.

Forum List

Back