Annoying phrases....

Here's one that gets me... not so much a phrase, but a style of public speaking that annoys the shit out of me:

When public speakers ask themselves questions and then answer them. At best, it's annoyingly presumptuous - they're basically saying "what you really want to ask me is ... and here's my prefab answer". At worst, it's manipulative, especially when they use it to dodge a question they've just been asked by re-framing it as a different question, one that better suits their agenda.

Here's one that gets me... not so much a phrase, but a style of public speaking that annoys the shit out of me:

When public speakers ask themselves questions and then answer them. At best, it's annoyingly presumptuous - they're basically saying "what you really want to ask me is ... and here's my prefab answer". At worst, it's manipulative, especially when they use it to dodge a question they've just been asked by re-framing it as a different question, one that better suits their agenda.

You mean rhetorical questions? Yes, that's what you mean. Lol

Not to be mean,but.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear that one. My gf often starts a sentence with "To be honest..."...

Often I'll just interrupt her and say - "Don't. Really. No need for that." Appeals to candor and frankness are often just excuses to be obnoxious.

There have been several. I recall getting really tired of 'WMDs' and 'don't go there.'

The new one on my nerves is 'that's how I roll.'

People who start a sentence with the word "So"

Especially when beginning an answer where so has no function.

"What does this device look like?"
"So, this is a finger-type device..." :bang3:

This is a rampant faux construction. Reminds me of Professor Erwin Correy who would get introduced, come out to his podium, fumble with his notes, and finally begin his speech with the word, "Therefore..."

"No problem" and "my bad..." have already been brought up...

I think the most egregious abuse of language on these boards is the term "mmkay?"

I've always hated 'all y'all'. It's redundant! Just say 'y'all' and you're done! :lol:
Actually, they're different.

Y'all is singular; all y'all is plural.

Undisputable fact of proper English usage.

:lmao:

Y'all is never singular. But all y'all is more plural. Encompasses a greater scale. Y'all might refer to everyone in this thread, while all y'all would mean everyone on USMB.

It's necessary in a language that has no way to distinguish you-singular from you-plural, since we stopped using thou as you-familiar-singular and made you do double duty.

Y'all is a variation of you all...it's plural
Y'all is never singular. But all y'all is more plural. Encompasses a greater scale. Y'all might refer to everyone in this thread, while all y'all would mean everyone on USMB.

It's necessary in a language that has no way to distinguish you-singular from you-plural, since we stopped using thou as you-familiar-singular and made you do double duty.
Y'all don't speak proper, obviously.

Y'all is a variation of you all...it's plural

Y'all don't speak proper, obviously.

Call is what you will, but were still afraid of that big ole flushing noise! Lmao...

I hate hate HATE THIS!
It makes me puke whenever I see someone do this like when they say "I called up...".
Gawd shoot me.

phone.jpg

I hate when politicians start out answering a question with....."the fact of the matter is....."

You know when they do that complete bullshit is about to follow.

Forum List

Back