Annoying phrases....

Something that I see on a regular basis when filling out forms either at work or at home:

"Kindly return the form ...".

How can we not do otherwise? Is it possible to angrily return the form?

If it's possible to do it kindly, it should be possibly to do it unkindly, I would think. ;)

That or it's unkind to not return the form! :lol:
Hmmm ... on the other hand, after filling out the 1040 tax form, I can somewhat understand how one can unkindly return the form. Especially when sending a check.

Something that I see on a regular basis when filling out forms either at work or at home:

Well yes. You could staple, spindle, or mutilate it. :lol:
Either that or getting angry at the postal worker when bringing the form to the post office to mail it. :lol:

Well yes. You could staple, spindle, or mutilate it. :lol:
Either that or getting angry at the postal worker when bringing the form to the post office to mail it. :lol:

That would be a real bad idea!

If it's possible to do it kindly, it should be possibly to do it unkindly, I would think. ;)

You can surely return the form angrily, or quizzically, or diffidently. If you do so, does the form not count?

Actually, ordering you to return it kindly is kind of unkind. The form should at least say "please".

Which brings me to robots. I can't stand when a phone-bot says 'please hold while I look up that number' or 'sorry, I didn't quite get that'. "I", as a personal pronoun, should be out of bounds for bots. Let alone a machine's ability to feel sorrow...

Having to deal with an automated answering device generates the most impotent kind of rage in the universe. You have NO CHOICE but to go through its silly paces and by the time you get to a human you want to rip out his toenails. The first thing I say to the person is usually as sincerely as I can muster, 'I would really hate to have your job.'

Even worse: the phone bot that tells you to "press 1 for English". Hey bot, you just said that in English. Get on with it, duh.

And then there's "please listen carefully, as our menu has changed". Why is everybody changing their menus constantly for the last ten years? Pick a menu and keep it. Damn.

Not a phrase, but the mispronunciation of a simple word that makes me cringe.
Ask.
Periodically, I come across some individual that pronounces it....aks.
How simple can it be?! Three letters, with the "s" before the "k".
I want to take them by the shoulders and say......"It's A..S..K, you simplistic boob!"

Hmmm ... on the other hand, after filling out the 1040 tax form, I can somewhat understand how one can unkindly return the form. Especially when sending a check.

In my experience they tend to take a dim view of checks made out to "You Assholes"... :eusa_shifty:

Ask.
I want to take them by the shoulders and say......"It's A..S..K, you simplistic boob!"

Oh noes, consonantal swaps... "nucyular" is one that always stands out.

I hate the way NFL announcers consistently get the word route wrong, as if they were saying rout. When Coach Reid looks on his map to drive to the stadium, he plans his route (pronounced "root"). When he gets there and the Seahawks beat his team 48 to nothing, that's a rout.

In my experience they tend to take a dim view of checks made out to "You Assholes"... :eusa_shifty:
I know, but you can have custom made checks for just such an occasion. It would have skulls and crossbones in the background. Just to let them know how you feel. :lol:

Ask.

I actually had someone say this to me a few years ago. It took everything I( had to not burst out in a belly laugh

"Can I ax you for fity fy sint"? :eek:

:lol:

I actually said, "no:, due to the lack of good grammar on her part :D

I know, but you can have custom made checks for just such an occasion. It would have skulls and crossbones in the background. Just to let them know how you feel. :lol:

Years ago in my wild youth, I took a return postage envelope, turned it into a return postage box, and mailed back bricks. Needless to say that company stopped soliciting.

Years ago in my wild youth, I took a return postage envelope, turned it into a return postage box, and mailed back bricks. Needless to say that company stopped soliciting.

I actually sent a barbie arm and leg along with my credit card payment once

"True dat" and people over 40 saying "my bad".

I can't help but say "my bad" sometimes, but I grew up saying. I agree that anybody over 40 saying it is strange.

I have noticed that a lot of the phrases mentioned are really just a generational thing. That's one reason I don't let phrases that I don't use bother me. If you didn't grow up in that generation you probably shouldn't be saying it though.

A lot of older people I work with refer to black people as "colored", and I don't mind because that's just a term they grew up with. It's not a term meant to be negative the way the n-word is. On the other hand, a friend of mine uses the term colored, and he's only in his 30s. The fact that he is black makes it even stranger.

EDIT: I probably could have made this post a lot shorter by saying "True dat."

You can surely return the form aHaving to deal with an automated answering device generates the most impotent kind of rage in the universe. You have NO CHOICE but to go through its silly paces and by the time you get to a human you want to rip out his toenails. The first thing I say to the person is usually as sincerely as I can muster, 'I would really hate to have your job.'

I did customer service for Western Union for a couple years. Yes, you would hate to have their job. :tongue:

Last edited:

I can't help but say "my bad" sometimes, but I grew up saying. I agree that anybody over 40 saying it is strange.

I have noticed that a lot of the phrases mentioned are really just a generational thing. That's one reason I don't let phrases that I don't use bother me. If you didn't grow up in that generation you probably shouldn't be saying it though.

A lot of older people I work with refer to black people as "colored", and I don't mind because that's just a term they grew up with. It's not a term meant to be negative the way the n-word is. On the other hand, a friend of mine uses the term colored, and he's only in his 30s. The fact that he is black makes it even stranger.

Onliest people I hate to hear saying "my bad" are those over 40, under 40 or exactly 40.

"True, dat" I don't care, because unlike 'my bad' it makes grammatical sense.

Here's another along the same lines as da "my bad": using the word "disconnect" as a noun instead of the verb it is. Same with "electric" and "fail". Not nouns.

Onliest people I hate to hear saying "my bad" are those over 40, under 40 or exactly 40.

Here's another along the same lines as da "my bad": using the word "disconnect" as a noun instead of the verb it is. Same with "electric" and "fail". Not nouns.

You know, multiple dictionaries have disconnect defined as both a verb and a noun......

Sorry to point that out, my bad!

You know, multiple dictionaries have disconnect defined as both a verb and a noun......

Sorry to point that out, my bad!

Spineless capitulators. It's still no more a noun than electric or fail. The noun would be, and already is, disconnection.

I can't accept redefinitions that take place in my own lifetime. It's like rewarding the stupid. I'm a linguistic archconservative and proud of it baby.

Hell's bells, I'm the only one left who still uses the apostrophe in Hallowe'en.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back