Annoying phrases....

'Innit' and 'you know'

Every single you know thing they you know say is peppered you know with you know innit?

When some a-hole, usually a politician, gets his ass in some sort of trouble and finally has to make a statement and instead of apologizing as he should, as everyone expects, says he takes full responsibility for blah, blah, blah...

Well, duh, you did it so who the hell else would be responsible for it?

"level playing field"

I loathe that phrase. It suggests that the world is flat and everyone is the same.

If everything was level, we would not have this song :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-UvQYAmbg]MARVIN GAYE & TAMMI TERRELL "Ain't no Mountain High Enough" - YouTube[/ame]

There have been several. I recall getting really tired of 'WMDs' and 'don't go there.'

The new one on my nerves is 'that's how I roll.'

People who start a sentence with the word "So"

People who start a sentence with the word, "Well", it is the preface of an excuse making session.

Well -- no. Used that way it's a "discourse particle" (filler element) like "ah", "um", "hmm", "now", the oxymoronic "now then" or "you know". Plus if we didn't have "well" as an intro filler, we'd never have had a Reagan speech.

Some people say "like" is a discourse particle but I'd disagree-- it seems more a weasel word. To say "I was like, 'I'll kick your ass'" isn't quite the same as "I said 'I'll kick your ass'" -- because I only resembled saying it.

'Innit' and 'you know'

Every single you know thing they you know say is peppered you know with you know innit?

That's a bit Cockney, innit?

It's you know widespread innit?

AND...

People who 'don' speak proppa'

e.g I had a drink of war-a.....No you didn't, you had a drink of water..there's a letter T in there ! :cranky:

Never heard that one. Sounds like a three-year-old.

"At this moment in time" I guess means as opposed to "this moment in a bucket of green paint" You know, like "3 am in the morning" as opposed to 3 am in the afternoon.

Something that I see on a regular basis when filling out forms either at work or at home:

"Kindly return the form ...".

How can we not do otherwise? Is it possible to angrily return the form?

Something that I see on a regular basis when filling out forms either at work or at home:

If it's possible to do it kindly, it should be possibly to do it unkindly, I would think. ;)

That or it's unkind to not return the form! :lol:

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

My grandmother would always say that one...usually to me and my one cousin. We fight like cats and dogs over politics. We were born in the same month, both like politics, both respond the same way, etc. We are alike on everything except political and philosophical ideology. She is a tax and spend Liberal and I am cut-this-cut-that fiscal conservative

Well yes. You could staple, spindle, or mutilate it. :lol:

If it's possible to do it kindly, it should be possibly to do it unkindly, I would think. ;)

You can surely return the form angrily, or quizzically, or diffidently. If you do so, does the form not count?

Actually, ordering you to return it kindly is kind of unkind. The form should at least say "please".

Which brings me to robots. I can't stand when a phone-bot says 'please hold while I look up that number' or 'sorry, I didn't quite get that'. "I", as a personal pronoun, should be out of bounds for bots. Let alone a machine's ability to feel sorrow...

I hate when politicians start out answering a question with....."the fact of the matter is....."

You know when they do that complete bullshit is about to follow.

I remember taking Public Speaking in high school and in college. When people say that, and other similar meaningless pre statements, they are buying a little time to think up a good way to answer the question.

You can surely return the form angrily, or quizzically, or diffidently. If you do so, does the form not count?

Actually, ordering you to return it kindly is kind of unkind. The form should at least say "please".

Which brings me to robots. I can't stand when a phone-bot says 'please hold while I look up that number' or 'sorry, I didn't quite get that'. "I", as a personal pronoun, should be out of bounds for bots. Let alone a machine's ability to feel sorrow...

Having to deal with an automated answering device generates the most impotent kind of rage in the universe. You have NO CHOICE but to go through its silly paces and by the time you get to a human you want to rip out his toenails. The first thing I say to the person is usually as sincerely as I can muster, 'I would really hate to have your job.'

Forum List

Back