Anonymous: Operation Last Resort

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Hard to believe there isn't a thread on this already...I searched but didn't find one.

If I missed it, feel free to merge this one or delete it.

[youtube]WaPni5O2YyI[/youtube]

inShare76​

Anonymous Threatens Massive WikiLeaks-Style Exposure, Announced On Hacked Gov Site

Hacktivist organization, Anonymous, is threatening perhaps their biggest play ever: a massive WikiLeaks-style exposure of sensitive U.S. government secrets. As proof of their power, they announced details of the plan on hacked government website, the United States Sentencing Commission (USSC.gov).

<snip>

If legal reforms are not enacted, Anonymous has threatened to activate files containing embarrassing or incriminating secrets.
“The contents are various and we won’t ruin the speculation by revealing them. Suffice it to say, everyone has secrets, and some things are not meant to be public. At a regular interval commencing today, we will choose one media outlet and supply them with heavily redacted partial contents of the file. Any media outlets wishing to be eligible for this program must include within their reporting a means of secure communications.”
It appears that the secrets will come a cost: Anonymous claims that there will be “collateral damage” if they are reluctantly forced to expose the information, presumably related to individuals who they think are associated with, but responsible for, the offensive laws.

Anonymous Threatens Massive WikiLeaks-Style Exposure, Announced On Hacked Gov Site | TechCrunch

Ok, evidently Anonymous took control of the government website ussc.gov and used it to allow the download of their Government Secrets Packet to everyone, everywhere.

But the files are encrypted.

Anonymous issued an ultimatum that their demands be met, or the decryption key will be released.

The site was commandeered at 9pm last night...the file was downloadable until three pm.
The first attack on the website was early Friday morning. The second - successful - attack came around 9pm PST that evening.
anonymous-200x192.png
By 3am PST ussc.gov was down (it has since been dropped from the DNS), yet as of this writing the IP address (66.153.19.162) still returns the defaced site's contents.

It appears that via the U.S. government website, Anonymous had distributed encrypted government files and left a statement on the website that de-encryption keys would be publicly released (thus releasing the as-yet unkonwn information held on the stolen files) if the U.S. government did not comply with Anonymous' ultimatum demands for legal reform.

Anonymous hacks US Sentencing Commission, distributes files | ZDNet
I won't link to the download, but if you wish to find it (at your own risk) search "Operation Last Resort Download".

Still nothing?

I at least thought there would be some speculation about the nature of the secrets Anonymous was threatening to reveal.

I hope it's nothing that cost lives and only things that cost jobs. I generally approve of a lot of what anonymous does but if people die because of their actions then they should be ashamed.

I would be all in favor of them releasing secrets about politicians in America or abroad.

I hope it's nothing that cost lives and only things that cost jobs. I generally approve of a lot of what anonymous does but if people die because of their actions then they should be ashamed.

I would be all in favor of them releasing secrets about politicians in America or abroad.

In their statement they speak of collateral damage...

Forum List

Back