Another example of people not being able to wipe their own asses

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
Not so fast: U.S. restaurant workers seek ban on surprise scheduling
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The text message came as Flavia Cabral walked to a McDonald's restaurant in Manhattan for her 6 p.m. shift on a May evening. It was from her manager. Business was slow and she was not needed.

Cabral said she was not too surprised. Her work hours fluctuate almost weekly, though losing an entire shift at the last minute happens only once every few months. This time the canceled shift took a $63 bite out of her average $350 gross weekly earnings from two part-time jobs.

"Every week you're guessing how much money you're going to get and how many days you're going to work," said Cabral, 53, who has been employed at McDonald's for four years.But a measure of relief is coming for Cabral and 65,000 other New York City fast-food workers whose schedules and incomes often change with little or no notice.

New York recently became the largest U.S. city to require fast-food restaurants to schedule workers at least two weeks in advance, or pay them extra for changes.

The law, which the restaurant industry vigorously opposed, also requires employers to allow 11-hour breaks between shifts, offer part-time staff additional work before hiring new employees, and pay retail workers to be "on call." It takes effect late this year.
----
While i understand the inconvenience, i also understand it is a necessity.
Why cant she just find another job?
Fast food jobs will be a thing of the past before too long. 15 bucks an hour for dropping potatoes in hot oil. Having your employer change everything because you have a bottom of the barrel job and you are enveloped in entitlement. Ugh

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The text message came as Flavia Cabral walked to a McDonald's restaurant in Manhattan for her 6 p.m. shift on a May evening. It was from her manager. Business was slow and she was not needed.

Cabral said she was not too surprised. Her work hours fluctuate almost weekly, though losing an entire shift at the last minute happens only once every few months. This time the canceled shift took a $63 bite out of her average $350 gross weekly earnings from two part-time jobs.

"Every week you're guessing how much money you're going to get and how many days you're going to work," said Cabral, 53, who has been employed at McDonald's for four years.But a measure of relief is coming for Cabral and 65,000 other New York City fast-food workers whose schedules and incomes often change with little or no notice.

New York recently became the largest U.S. city to require fast-food restaurants to schedule workers at least two weeks in advance, or pay them extra for changes.

The law, which the restaurant industry vigorously opposed, also requires employers to allow 11-hour breaks between shifts, offer part-time staff additional work before hiring new employees, and pay retail workers to be "on call." It takes effect late this year.
----
Fast food jobs will be a thing of the past before too long. 15 bucks an hour for dropping potatoes in hot oil. Having your employer change everything because you have a bottom of the barrel job and you are enveloped in entitlement. Ugh
Wow. That is over legislating business, imo. That kind of thing happens in the restaurant business. I was a (not very good) waitress while I was in college, and although I never worked in fast food, it happened to me; does to all most restaurant workers once in awhile, I imagine.

----
Wow. That is over legislating business, imo. That kind of thing happens in the restaurant business. I was a (not very good) waitress while I was in college, and although I never worked in fast food, it happened to me; does to all most restaurant workers once in awhile, I imagine.
That comes with the food industry. Always has. But it probably wont always will..

Its a darn hard job & we love to eat out, good service is part of the enjoyment of the meal, when they made tips part of the pay it put it on the customer to tip better so wait people got better pay so we got better service. we need to get rid of millions of rules & laws and find some good workable ones that can be enforced.

Maybe the owner of this franchise should close shop and find another location. Since when is a McDonalds not busy?

I think there should be some expectation of consistency with hours, considering the business is open. Different if they are seasonal, but if you want good workers you have to provide some level of respect.

Maybe the owner of this franchise should close shop and find another location. Since when is a McDonalds not busy?

I think there should be some expectation of consistency with hours, considering the business is open. Different if they are seasonal, but if you want good workers you have to provide some level of respect.
Maybe so. But that should be decided by the owner. Not some bureaucrat

----
That comes with the food industry. Always has. But it probably wont always will..
In November, Maine voters passed a referendum to increase restaurant workers pay. The waitresses would slowly get an increase in wages up to minimum. It began with a $1 or $2 per hour raise in base pay. Immediately, customers began tipping them less, including our governor. The waitresses at my local diner were getting "stiffed" by customers thinking they were already earning minimum wage.
They have already reversed and done away with the law. I don't think this in NYC will last, either, although I admit NYC is a pretty strange place.

Can we not discuss wiping arses and the food service industry in the same thread?

It's more than a little off-putting.

Last edited:
A great example of the nanny state.

The sad thing is that these Moon Bats want more of it.

Hmmm, well at 53 why is this woman working at McDonalds? Why not say fuck McDonald (as every adult who ever had a first job has) and get more gainful employment. A guy I work with did that. He burnt out here and went to school for EMT at 55 years old. He got on with the county EMT and loves it.

Hmmm, well at 53 why is this woman working at McDonalds? Why not say fuck McDonald (as every adult who ever had a first job has) and get more gainful employment. A guy I work with did that. He burnt out here and went to school for EMT at 55 years old. He got on with the county EMT and loves it.

Fast food minimal wage jobs should be for those kids trying to make a little extra money going to school or whatever. If you are depending upon those kinds of jobs to make a living then you are doing it wrong.

Reminds me of homer Simpsons political slogan "can't someone else do it?"

People want someone else to fix the problems they face. If you don't like the your job situation, fix it yourself. It's what I've always done

Fast food minimal wage jobs should be for those kids trying to make a little extra money going to school or whatever. If you are depending upon those kinds of jobs to make a living then you are doing it wrong.
Credit is due. She does work two jobs. She is obviously unskilled. But at least she is trying.. She should just close her hand..

Fast food restaurants are bottom level jobs. Paying high wages just is not in the mix. Let it be known that there won't be new laws for those who quit school and never thought of a future. Those are jobs for teens and those who are working jobs while still in school.

It their choice...

We are utility locators so the pay is pretty good. This comparison has an insane turnover rate and as long as holes are being dug there is work. It is skilled work, but easily learned and they are nationwide. That said, I have worked at McDonalds more then once and I would again if I had to. I'll even work at a big box store at Christmas time now and then. My question would be why does this woman at her age feel worth so little that she would grovel over McDonald jobs.

or if you are recently released from being a "guest of the State", or coming of being a drug addict. Its to show you can handle a job requiring you to 1) show up and 2) perform 3-4 rote tasks repeatedly.

Forum List

Back