Another example of people not being able to wipe their own asses

Fast food restaurants are bottom level jobs. Paying high wages just is not in the mix. Let it be known that there won't be new laws for those who quit school and never thought of a future. Those are jobs for teens and those who are working jobs while still in school.

It their choice...

And even if they do drop out of school they should not be punished. Most who drop out of school would and do do awesome in the trades. And the trades really need them as the quality of work from the $75.00 vatos is bringing back a demand for decent employee's. This wage business is nothing but ass kissing to the wet backs.

Hmmm, well at 53 why is this woman working at McDonalds? Why not say fuck McDonald (as every adult who ever had a first job has) and get more gainful employment. A guy I work with did that. He burnt out here and went to school for EMT at 55 years old. He got on with the county EMT and loves it.

Fast food minimal wage jobs should be for those kids trying to make a little extra money going to school or whatever. If you are depending upon those kinds of jobs to make a living then you are doing it wrong.

or if you are recently released from being a "guest of the State", or coming of being a drug addict. Its to show you can handle a job requiring you to 1) show up and 2) perform 3-4 rote tasks repeatedly.

Yup.

Maybe the owner of this franchise should close shop and find another location. Since when is a McDonalds not busy?

I think there should be some expectation of consistency with hours, considering the business is open. Different if they are seasonal, but if you want good workers you have to provide some level of respect.
Maybe so. But that should be decided by the owner. Not some bureaucrat

Or maybe it will be decided by the riff raff he has to hire who are willing to work on call whenever the owner decides. So, he will get some clown who might show up for work, or might not since it's basically a flop house work environment. Or, someone he hires will get caught spitting in someones food, or fails to clean up a spill and he finds himself sued.

There are certain basic standards everyone should expect, The West wants to beat China and the rest of the world, we don't want to race to the bottom and emulate their own system. Yes, I understand it's McDonalds, but even a manager should be able to plan ahead of time.

Maybe the owner of this franchise should close shop and find another location. Since when is a McDonalds not busy?

I think there should be some expectation of consistency with hours, considering the business is open. Different if they are seasonal, but if you want good workers you have to provide some level of respect.

Or maybe it will be decided by the riff raff he has to hire who are willing to work on call whenever the owner decides. So, he will get some clown who might show up for work, or might not since it's basically a flop house work environment. Or, someone he hires will get caught spitting in someones food, or fails to clean up a spill and he finds himself sued.

There are certain basic standards everyone should expect, The West wants to beat China and the rest of the world, we don't want to race to the bottom and emulate their own system. Yes, I understand it's McDonalds, but even a manager should be able to plan ahead of time.
They do. They base schedules off of normal busy times. Sometimes they call people in, sometimes they have to tell people not to come in.
Just like how responsibility plays along with the OP, the manager has responsibilities too. Like keeping workers happy.

Hmmm, well at 53 why is this woman working at McDonalds? Why not say fuck McDonald (as every adult who ever had a first job has) and get more gainful employment. A guy I work with did that. He burnt out here and went to school for EMT at 55 years old. He got on with the county EMT and loves it.

Fast food minimal wage jobs should be for those kids trying to make a little extra money going to school or whatever. If you are depending upon those kinds of jobs to make a living then you are doing it wrong.
Credit is due. She does work two jobs. She is obviously unskilled. But at least she is trying.. She should just close her hand..

If she's working two jobs, how much is her hand open?

If she is scheduled to work, and calls in a few minutes before her shift, I doubt her manager is happy. If the manager cancels in the same way, it's not a big deal? That's messing with her money.

Workers have needs as well as business, so good on the state for regulating the notification of schedule.

Those who defend the restaurant industry don't have a lick of sense.

Credit is due. She does work two jobs. She is obviously unskilled. But at least she is trying.. She should just close her hand..

If she is scheduled to work, and calls in a few minutes before her shift, I doubt her manager is happy. If the manager cancels in the same way, it's not a big deal? That's messing with her money.
Keeping part time jobs isnt a guarantee of money, either. Thats why you want full time. Benefits, same hours etc.
Her hand is open enough to want to tell her employer what to do with his/her business. Thats pretty dern open..

They do. They base schedules off of normal busy times. Sometimes they call people in, sometimes they have to tell people not to come in.
Just like how responsibility plays along with the OP, the manager has responsibilities too. Like keeping workers happy.

Also, keeping his customers happy. I often take with a grain of salt the service I receive at a fast food place, when I actually decide to eat there, as I know they are part-time, unmotivated workers for the most part with no long term career investment. However, if they were even less part-time and more casual, it would only be worse.

I worked at a stockboy in high school and I worked on such a system, calling my work to see if I was needed or not, based on what was shipped. I was at least lucky in that I had a boss who often gave me a choice if I wanted to work or not on days it was not too busy, as you suggest, he was taking care of me as I did a good job and worked hard.

To me this sets a bad precedent. I may not be the most supportive of unions, because they have outlived their purpose and it's generally just to squeeze employers. However, we don't need to get back to the point where unions are in fact of value again, such as setting the standard for workers in which people cannot earn a liveable wage or feed their families. This is even far worse in Canada in which the government decides your fate and has far more abusive powers than a free nation like America has.

Workers have needs as well as business, so good on the state for regulating the notification of schedule.

You say the business has needs but then you imply the worker is more important?
Guess what genius, its not good for business to pay someone to not do anything.

Keeping part time jobs isnt a guarantee of money, either. Thats why you want full time. Benefits, same hours etc.
Her hand is open enough to want to tell her employer what to do with his/her business. Thats pretty dern open..

So, the manager doesn't have a responsibility to respect the employees' time? Maybe she could have scheduled a shift for her other job, with a little notice.

Even full-time employees can have their schedules changed at the last minute, and not have benefits. Full-time just means 40 hours.

Ah, you are either far right or a libertarian leaning type. So what you think does not impress me. Business could have taken care of this long ago in a manner that helps their employees as well as the business, failed to do so, and now pays the price. Tough.

So, the manager doesn't have a responsibility to respect the employees' time? Maybe she could have scheduled a shift for her other job, with a little notice.

Even full-time employees can have their schedules changed at the last minute, and not have benefits. Full-time just means 40 hours.
That other job has nothing to do with mcdonalds. Its irrelevant.
Thats just the way fast food is. I wouldnt pay someone to just stand there. Would you?

Thats just the way fast food is. I wouldnt pay someone to just stand there. Would you?

All kidding aside, fast food is tough thankless work suited to convicts. Good motivation to find a different job.

If it was my judgment that put them on the schedule, yes I would. And I would find them something to do. There is always cleaning that needs to be done somewhere. Screwing around with someone's income is not cool.

Those that justify the interference of the filthy ass government in business have some serious mental problems.

The arrangement between the employee and employer should be between them and not the frigging government. It is none of the government's business how hours are scheduled. If you don't like how your boss schedules your hours then go find a job elsewhere.

Nothing more than nanny state interference and that is despicable.

If it was my judgment that put them on the schedule, yes I would. And I would find them something to do. There is always cleaning that needs to be done somewhere.
Cleaning is usually done in slow periods by the workers that are on schedule. Or at closing time. If they had her come in to just do cleaning, whats everyone else going to do?
Have you ever worked in the food industry?

[QU

The manager's responsibility is pay the worker for hours worked. How the scheduling is done should be between the employer and employee and the stupid government needs to stay out of it.

If it was my judgment that put them on the schedule, yes I would. And I would find them something to do. There is always cleaning that needs to be done somewhere.
Cleaning is usually done in slow periods by the workers that are on schedule. Or at closing time. If they had her come in to just do cleaning, whats everyone else going to do?
Have you ever worked in the food industry?

Thank God, no.

My complaint is the lack of notice. Even a day before, is better. But letting someone know they're not needed when they are on their way is disrespectful. People who live close to the bone usually have every dollar of their paycheck accounted for.

Those that defend government interference in business are the same idiots that elect dumbshits like Obama that increased poverty, decreased family income, grew the debt, increased income disparity and had dismal economic growth.

If you don't like the way your boss is scheduling your hours then go find another job. You don't not have an entitlement to having your work scheduled to your satisfaction.

Forum List

Back