Another example of people not being able to wipe their own asses

Keeping part time jobs isnt a guarantee of money, either. Thats why you want full time. Benefits, same hours etc.
Her hand is open enough to want to tell her employer what to do with his/her business. Thats pretty dern open..

So, the manager doesn't have a responsibility to respect the employees' time? Maybe she could have scheduled a shift for her other job, with a little notice.

Even full-time employees can have their schedules changed at the last minute, and not have benefits. Full-time just means 40 hours.
That other job has nothing to do with mcdonalds. Its irrelevant.
Thats just the way fast food is. I wouldnt pay someone to just stand there. Would you?

If it was my judgment that put them on the schedule, yes I would. And I would find them something to do. There is always cleaning that needs to be done somewhere.
Cleaning is usually done in slow periods by the workers that are on schedule. Or at closing time. If they had her come in to just do cleaning, whats everyone else going to do?
Have you ever worked in the food industry?

Thank God, no.

My complaint is the lack of notice. Even a day before, is better. But letting someone know they're not needed when they are on their way is disrespectful. People who live close to the bone usually have every dollar of their paycheck accounted for.
They cant know how busy they are the day before. Unless they are cleopatra lol.
If you worked in the food industry, you might could understand.
Besides that, it isnt the govts business. If she doesnt like how her boss runs things, she should quit.

So, the manager doesn't have a responsibility to respect the employees' time? Maybe she could have scheduled a shift for her other job, with a little notice.

Even full-time employees can have their schedules changed at the last minute, and not have benefits. Full-time just means 40 hours.
Thats just the way fast food is. I wouldnt pay someone to just stand there. Would you?

If it was my judgment that put them on the schedule, yes I would. And I would find them something to do. There is always cleaning that needs to be done somewhere.
Cleaning is usually done in slow periods by the workers that are on schedule. Or at closing time. If they had her come in to just do cleaning, whats everyone else going to do?

Thank God, no.

My complaint is the lack of notice. Even a day before, is better. But letting someone know they're not needed when they are on their way is disrespectful. People who live close to the bone usually have every dollar of their paycheck accounted for.
Besides that, it isnt the govts business. If she doesnt like how her boss runs things, she should quit.

Yeah, poor employees should just quit and get into a deeper shithole of debt than they are in.

I never said it is the government's business. It is disrespectful to employees to schedule them and then cancel at the last minute. Like I said, if she called in that early, the manager might have some words for her.

Some of you are being total snobs. Honest work is honest work and no one should be shamed or blamed for it.
It is one thing to object to the new legislation; it is another to criticize her for where she works/what she does.

[QU

Thank God, no.

So if you think your boss is "disrespectful" you want the government to protect you?

You must have one hellva entitlement mentality.

[QU

Thank God, no.

So if you think your boss is "disrespectful" you want the government to protect you?

Yep. I'm popping bon bons right now, watching reality tv, and thinking of ways I can vote myself some more government money!

Thanks for your thoughtful response!

:funnyface:

Thank God, no.

Yeah, poor employees should just quit and get into a deeper shithole of debt than they are in.

I never said it is the government's business. It is disrespectful to employees to schedule them and then cancel at the last minute. Like I said, if she called in that early, the manager might have some words for her.
Thinking back, I think when I was sent home during a dead shift, it was voluntary. If I had insisted on staying for my $3 p/hr base pay, probably I could have. But with no tips, it wasn't worth it. It happened VERY infrequently. But it happens, and not just in the restaurant business. I think I got sent home once or twice when I was working retail, too, but it was also with my agreement. I never had a whole shift cancelled, and this woman, who is making a straight hourly wage she probably depends on, is losing a lot more than a waitress's base pay would be. Since my jobs like that were second jobs, losing a few hours once in a great while was not a big deal. I was happy to go home and take a nap.

[QU

Thank God, no.

Yep. I'm popping bon bons right now, watching reality tv, and thinking of ways I can vote myself some more government money!

You didn't answer my question. If your boss is what you consider to be disrespectful in scheduling do you want the government to throw him in jail, fine him or close down his business?

What the hell do you think you are entitled to?

Thank God, no.

Because when people quit, they should give up on working.. Lol

Ms cleo the psychic. She was a famous psychic who was on tv and stuff

[QU

Thank God, no.

You didn't answer my question. If your boss is what you consider to be disrespectful in scheduling do you want the government to throw him in jail, fine him or close down his business?

What the hell do you think you are entitled to?

All of the above.

okay giving this some thought.....how would you feel tn if they told you ..no work today.....the cash you were counting on is gone....why do you think cause someone is a fast food worker they deserved to be treated poorly?

Thank God, no.

Because when people quit, they should give up on working.. Lol

Ms cleo the psychic. She was a famous psychic who was on tv and stuff

It would be foolish to quit one job without another lined up, that's all I'm saying. Simply "quitting" is not an option for many.

Ok, I was thinking the original Cleopatra. The reference confused me.

Not so fast: U.S. restaurant workers seek ban on surprise scheduling
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The text message came as Flavia Cabral walked to a McDonald's restaurant in Manhattan for her 6 p.m. shift on a May evening. It was from her manager. Business was slow and she was not needed.

Cabral said she was not too surprised. Her work hours fluctuate almost weekly, though losing an entire shift at the last minute happens only once every few months. This time the canceled shift took a $63 bite out of her average $350 gross weekly earnings from two part-time jobs.

"Every week you're guessing how much money you're going to get and how many days you're going to work," said Cabral, 53, who has been employed at McDonald's for four years.But a measure of relief is coming for Cabral and 65,000 other New York City fast-food workers whose schedules and incomes often change with little or no notice.

New York recently became the largest U.S. city to require fast-food restaurants to schedule workers at least two weeks in advance, or pay them extra for changes.

The law, which the restaurant industry vigorously opposed, also requires employers to allow 11-hour breaks between shifts, offer part-time staff additional work before hiring new employees, and pay retail workers to be "on call." It takes effect late this year.
----
While i understand the inconvenience, i also understand it is a necessity.
Why cant she just find another job?
Fast food jobs will be a thing of the past before too long. 15 bucks an hour for dropping potatoes in hot oil. Having your employer change everything because you have a bottom of the barrel job and you are enveloped in entitlement. Ugh
Wow. That is over legislating business, imo. That kind of thing happens in the restaurant business. I was a (not very good) waitress while I was in college, and although I never worked in fast food, it happened to me; does to all most restaurant workers once in awhile, I imagine.

I'm pretty sure once in a while wouldn't be a big problem. When you have no idea how many days a week you will work, that is a problem.

Not so fast: U.S. restaurant workers seek ban on surprise scheduling
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The text message came as Flavia Cabral walked to a McDonald's restaurant in Manhattan for her 6 p.m. shift on a May evening. It was from her manager. Business was slow and she was not needed.

Cabral said she was not too surprised. Her work hours fluctuate almost weekly, though losing an entire shift at the last minute happens only once every few months. This time the canceled shift took a $63 bite out of her average $350 gross weekly earnings from two part-time jobs.

"Every week you're guessing how much money you're going to get and how many days you're going to work," said Cabral, 53, who has been employed at McDonald's for four years.But a measure of relief is coming for Cabral and 65,000 other New York City fast-food workers whose schedules and incomes often change with little or no notice.

New York recently became the largest U.S. city to require fast-food restaurants to schedule workers at least two weeks in advance, or pay them extra for changes.

The law, which the restaurant industry vigorously opposed, also requires employers to allow 11-hour breaks between shifts, offer part-time staff additional work before hiring new employees, and pay retail workers to be "on call." It takes effect late this year.
----
While i understand the inconvenience, i also understand it is a necessity.
Why cant she just find another job?
Fast food jobs will be a thing of the past before too long. 15 bucks an hour for dropping potatoes in hot oil. Having your employer change everything because you have a bottom of the barrel job and you are enveloped in entitlement. Ugh
Wow. That is over legislating business, imo. That kind of thing happens in the restaurant business. I was a (not very good) waitress while I was in college, and although I never worked in fast food, it happened to me; does to all most restaurant workers once in awhile, I imagine.

I'm pretty sure once in a while wouldn't be a big problem. When you have no idea how many days a week you will work, that is a problem.
If your manager cant produce a schedule without constantly having to change schedule, the business wont last long anyways. The person is obviously inept. Making schedules is easy.

Hmmm, well at 53 why is this woman working at McDonalds? Why not say fuck McDonald (as every adult who ever had a first job has) and get more gainful employment. A guy I work with did that. He burnt out here and went to school for EMT at 55 years old. He got on with the county EMT and loves it.

Fast food minimal wage jobs should be for those kids trying to make a little extra money going to school or whatever. If you are depending upon those kinds of jobs to make a living then you are doing it wrong.

Everyone hits a rough patch. We all have had to take work for less then we are worth to get by. But stay in is the fault of the employee. No one else.

If your manager cant produce a schedule without constantly having to change schedule, the business wont last long anyways. The person is obviously inept. Making schedules is easy.

You hit a great point about the person being inept.

As someone who has worked in the restaurant and hospitality industry for all my working life I can tell you that the manger probably is driving the woman to quit. I have seen it happen all the time.

They don't want to pay the woman any unemployment so if they get the person to quit no unemployment and they get rid of the person. Win win

[QUO

It would be foolish to quit one job without another lined up, that's all I'm saying. Simply "quitting" is not an option for many.

Quitting is always an option. If you don't want to quit then put up with the "disrespect". Life is not always as fair as you want it to be.

The last thing we need the oppressive government doing is trying to run our lives.

Forum List

Back