Another tragedy in the wake of the OK twister

DarkLion

Rookie
Apr 7, 2013
In addition to the rising number of souls lost in Moore, Oklahoma, the twister has also taken its toll on the town's animals. According to sources, an estimated 75 to 100 horses were killed in Monday’s tornado when the Orr Family Farm took a direct hit. There's been an outpouring of support on the farm's Facebook page, where staff have announced that while those who work on the farm are safe and unharmed, it's sustained an "extreme amount" of damage. They're still assessing how the devastating tornado has affected both their property and their other surviving animals.

Orr Family Farm horses killed in Oklahoma tornado

Why is it no one is mentioning this? No one ever talks about the death of the animals when disasters strike.

In addition to the rising number of souls lost in Moore, Oklahoma, the twister has also taken its toll on the town's animals. According to sources, an estimated 75 to 100 horses were killed in Monday’s tornado when the Orr Family Farm took a direct hit. There's been an outpouring of support on the farm's Facebook page, where staff have announced that while those who work on the farm are safe and unharmed, it's sustained an "extreme amount" of damage. They're still assessing how the devastating tornado has affected both their property and their other surviving animals.

Why is it no one is mentioning this? No one ever talks about the death of the animals when disasters strike.

Obviously you weren't watching the news today:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVQvoYdVdq4]Woman finds her dog in the rubble during live TV interview - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, we do care about animals.

They spoke of the horse farm in depth throughout initial coverage.

• Banned
Well, goody, must have been on a different channel than the one I was watching. Quite tragic though, isn't it?

It may be spoken of but I make a point of not reading it. It just bothers me too much and I get all stressed.

Obviously you weren't watching the news today:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVQvoYdVdq4]Woman finds her dog in the rubble during live TV interview - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, we do care about animals.

That was so awesome! I was watching the CBS Evening News and saw that happen. So cool that it happened while she was being interviewed.

Well, goody, must have been on a different channel than the one I was watching. Quite tragic though, isn't it?

Strange enough, I watched coverage streaming from The Weather Channel. It was graphic there for awhile them describing what needed to be done to the horses. :(

I remember when Katrina happened there was a problem because shelters wouldn't let people bring their pets. Some people refused to go to shelters so they wouldn't have to leave their pets. I think there were some changes made because of that and shelters now allow people to bring their pets.

I know I wouldn't leave this girl. She is my heart and soul.

Attachments

• $Greta2.jpg
    $Greta2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 93
And who do we blame all this on? This wasn't terrorists. This was Mother Fucking Nature. And a cold bitch she is, too.

I remember when Katrina happened there was a problem because shelters wouldn't let people bring their pets. Some people refused to go to shelters so they wouldn't have to leave their pets. I think there were some changes made because of that and shelters now allow people to bring their pets.

Rust Dobie!! I had a blue, once. That was his name, too. Blue. I loved him very much. He has been gone many years now.

I have 3 dogs and one cat. I will never go to a shelter because I am afraid they would take them away from me..or refuse me and then what? No. I will stay right here at home and take my chances.

I remember that kid, after Katrina, that wanted to take her dog on the bus and they wouldn't let her. The bus drove off with the kid and the dog sat there.
Someone comes between me and my furkids, they will be looking into the bore of my weapon.

I always feel badly for cattle and horses. Where do they run? They are fenced in.
I would never have a ranch with animals in a tornado zone. I would stress myself to my grave worrying about them.

Rust Dobie!! I had a blue, once. That was his name, too. Blue. I loved him very much. He has been gone many years now.

I have 3 dogs and one cat. I will never go to a shelter because I am afraid they would take them away from me..or refuse me and then what? No. I will stay right here at home and take my chances.

I remember that kid, after Katrina, that wanted to take her dog on the bus and they wouldn't let her. The bus drove off with the kid and the dog sat there.
Someone comes between me and my furkids, they will be looking into the bore of my weapon.

I actually have two dobes, both girls, both red (or rust as you say). Greta (pictured) and Hannah. : ) Half-sisters. They have both slept in my bed with me since they were six weeks old and they're eight and nine years old now.

I remember that Oprah Winfrey was providing buses after Katrina that would allow people to bring their pets along.

Yep, I'm with you, if my dogs can't go, I'm not going. I'll figure something else out.

I actually have five dogs and seven cats. So no shelter is going to take us all, anyway. I'm a bit of a survivalist, so I'm prepared to shelter in place. For the love of God, please let it be summer and not winter, though! : (

Forum List

Back