Antisemitism is getting worse — but Canadians are indifferent. What’s going on?

Canada is pretty far to the Left.

Several weeks ago, I started a thread noting that leftists are “all hands on deck” in fighting what they insist is pervasive, systemic racism while simultaneously ignoring, downplaying, or outright denying the increasing levels of antisemitism. (Did you know, for example, that Jews are 2.6 times more likely to be victims of hate crimes than blacks.)

The responses from the leftists were unreal - given the topic. They piled in, focused their comments and concern on how awful things are for blacks, while also downplaying the bigotry against Jews! They were demonstrating the very topic of the thread.

Anyway, i and some others posed theories as to why liberals get irate when it is brought up how much antisemitism Jews have faced and continue to face, but alas…the thread was banished to Badlands.

Canada is pretty far to the Left.

Several weeks ago, I started a thread noting that leftists are “all hands in deck” in fighting what they try to say is pervasive, systemic racism while simultaneously ignoring, downplaying, or outright denying the increasing levels of antisemitism. (Did you know, for example, that Jews are 2.6 times more likely to be victims of hate crimes than blacks.)

The responses from the leftists were unreal - given the topic. They piled in, focused their comments and concern on how awful things are for blacks, while also downplaying the bigotry against Jews! They were demonstrating the very topic of the thread.

Anyway, i and some others posed theories as to why liberals get irate when it is brought up how much antisemitism Jews have faced and continue to fact, but alas…the thread was banished to Badlands.
It isn't just the left. All sides disregard Jewish history and the anti-Semitism, even genocide that has occured. I've learned of the slavery in Egypt, the abuses in Greece, of course the Roman oppression and even being blamed by Europe for the Black Plague if you can believe this. Society has turned their back on G-d and the closer a community is to him the less deferrence the community seems to receive.

Last edited:
It isn't just the left. All sides disregard Jewish history and the anti-Semitism, even genocide that has occured. I've learned of the slavery in Egypt, the abuses in Greece, of course the Roman oppression and even being blamed by Europe for the Black Plague if you can believe this. Society has turned their back on G-d and the closer a community is to him the less deferrence the community seems to receive.
The difference is that the bigots on the far-right are anti-black and anti-Jew both. The antisemites on the left simultaneously rage about the unfairness of bigotry against blacks. It’s the hypocrisy.

The difference is that the bigots on the far-right are anti-black and anti-Jew both. The antisemites on the left simultaneously rage about the unfairness of bigotry against blacks. It’s the hypocrisy.
I see. Perhaps. I've never reallt y dissected it that way. Society hates any differences among others, it is innate since birth when we learn to be buased to our Mothers face. We a strange species that.will.eventually self destruct. Really, think of the hundreds of trillions wasted in history on wars and other selfish pursuits. We should have technology to destroy cancer and a pill that will allow.us to live to 400 years, but alas...

This shouldn't be too shocking. Virulent Jew hatred has been the sign of societal collapse for centuries. The old hate's time has come 'round again. Time to get ready for some seriously bad stuff to begin.

For my part, I hope Bibi lights a few candles in the middle east and vaporizes those Muslim extremists in Tehran, Damascus, and Yemen - among others.

This shouldn't be too shocking. Virulent Jew hatred has been the sign of societal collapse for centuries. The old hate's time has come 'round again. Time to get ready for some seriously bad stuff to begin.

For my part, I hope Bibi lights a few candles in the middle east and vaporizes those Muslim extremists in Tehran, Damascus, and Yemen - among others.
I am worried that if the recession materializes, and it’s bad, that the antisemitism will ramp up even more. Jews have been scapegoated for 2,000 years. (Look at Germany’s economy in the 30s.)

Far Left & Left have Major “ Issues” with Practicing Jews & Israel ( The Tiny Jewish State ) and will side with Arabs / Palestinians & Persians every time .

Far Left & Left have Major “ Issues” with Practicing Jews & Israel ( The Tiny Jewish State ) and will side with Arabs / Palestinians & Persians every time .
Yup. That’s because their liberalism trumps their Judaism.

This is Canada for you. Optics and platitudes. When we need good people to step up however... Martin Regg Cohn: Antisemitism is getting worse — but Canadians are indifferent. What’s going on?

Is it getting worse? Or is it just that an event happened that people blew out of all proportion and use as a way of promoting Jewish rights?

Israel and Jews have a very good way of promoting themselves. They use the term "Antisemite" a lot, they attack people for things when really there is no need to, they fund opposition to others. For example in the UK the Israeli embassy in London was attacking Jeremy Corbyn for being "Antisemitic", why? Because Corbyn supported the Palestine movement. Not because he's antisemitic, but because he's an eejit who likes to get behind issues where you can march and talk about it and feel all fraternal about things.

Israel was interfering in UK politics and that is going to cause them problems.

In the case of the dude in the Canadian parliament who happened to have been in the Waffen SS.

He was 20 years old when the war finished. He says he fought for the Waffen SS because he wanted to fight from Ukrainian nationalism. Not because he was a Nazi. You had two choices in 1943. Fight for the Soviets or fight for the Nazis. Not exactly much of a choice, is it?

Wikipedia says "but he said that by the time Hunka's unit reached the front, German operations relating to the Holocaust would have ended in that area" So, he was fighting the Soviets, he probably wasn't involved in the Holocaust at all. There's no evidence he did anything wrong other than fight in a war in which lots of people fought. The RAF and USAF committed atrocities, and yet the members of those forces are considered heroes.

It's all about narrative.

Has the narrative changed? No, it's just another person pushing the Jewish/Israeli narrative of antisemitism (which exists) to protect themselves.

Is it getting worse? Or is it just that an event happened that people blew out of all proportion and use as a way of promoting Jewish rights?

Israel and Jews have a very good way of promoting themselves. They use the term "Antisemite" a lot, they attack people for things when really there is no need to, they fund opposition to others. For example in the UK the Israeli embassy in London was attacking Jeremy Corbyn for being "Antisemitic", why? Because Corbyn supported the Palestine movement. Not because he's antisemitic, but because he's an eejit who likes to get behind issues where you can march and talk about it and feel all fraternal about things.

Israel was interfering in UK politics and that is going to cause them problems.

In the case of the dude in the Canadian parliament who happened to have been in the Waffen SS.

He was 20 years old when the war finished. He says he fought for the Waffen SS because he wanted to fight from Ukrainian nationalism. Not because he was a Nazi. You had two choices in 1943. Fight for the Soviets or fight for the Nazis. Not exactly much of a choice, is it?

Wikipedia says "but he said that by the time Hunka's unit reached the front, German operations relating to the Holocaust would have ended in that area" So, he was fighting the Soviets, he probably wasn't involved in the Holocaust at all. There's no evidence he did anything wrong other than fight in a war in which lots of people fought. The RAF and USAF committed atrocities, and yet the members of those forces are considered heroes.

It's all about narrative.

Has the narrative changed? No, it's just another person pushing the Jewish/Israeli narrative of antisemitism (which exists) to protect themselves.
You are missing the point. Jews generally want to live a peaceful existence with a devotion to G-d. History has proven time and again that they have reason for concern. Yes, some may be overzealous and sensitive, but their history has created the fertile environment that encourages this response.

You are missing the point. Jews generally want to live a peaceful existence with a devotion to G-d. History has proven time and again that they have reason for concern. Yes, some may be overzealous and sensitive, but their history has created the fertile environment that encourages this response.

I'm not sure I am missing the point.

How many Jews don't want to live in peace?

There are enough Jews in positions of power within media outlets that supported, for example, the Iraq War, the War in Afghanistan. That's not living in peace. I'd assume that Jews are like everyone else, some are pro-peace, others want conflict.

I'm not sure I am missing the point.

How many Jews don't want to live in peace?

There are enough Jews in positions of power within media outlets that supported, for example, the Iraq War, the War in Afghanistan. That's not living in peace. I'd assume that Jews are like everyone else, some are pro-peace, others want conflict.
Sure. The difference is their history. Even now, people say, "look, they have their homeland back", but it is just a small sliver of land. I wish for nothing but peace in the M.E, but those.around them are less interested in innovation and progress and more interested in wanting Israel gone. Let's not forget the 6M who were murdered less fhan 80 years.ago, this isn't all ancient history.

Sure. The difference is their history. Even now, people say, "look, they have their homeland back", but it is just a small sliver of land. I wish for nothing but peace in the M.E, but those.around them are less interested in innovation and progress and more interested in wanting Israel gone. Let's not forget the 6M who were murdered less fhan 80 years.ago, this isn't all ancient history.

I don't support the Palestinian movement because Hamas and others are in it for themselves and are not looking out for the people of Palestine. They think keeping the fight going will improve their lot, but it won't. It'll just lead them to being backwards for decades or centuries.

Forum List

Back