Any decent big cities left in America??

The last time that American cities were "decent" was in the 1950s (when I was a teenager).

At that time, no one even thought of violent crime being an issue (except in perhaps a few small pockets of each city).

I remember taking a night course in college and then walking in the dark to my car afterwards. The thought that I could be mugged or murdered never even entered my mind, for the university was in a good section of the city where bad people rarely entered. And in those days, the police were not afraid to stop suspicious-looking people and ask for ID.

What is the standard for an American city to be judged "decent"? What is the standard for deciding that someone is a "suspicious-looking" person? I have very pale skin and blue eyes. Am I "suspicious looking"? I once walked across the border at San Ysidro, having spent a very depressing day in Tijuana. Nobody said a word. Was it the pale skin? The blue eyes?

A "decent" American city is one in which a good person can walk down the street without fear of being robbed or sucker punched or raped or murdered.

A "decent" American city is one in which a good person can take a bus or subway without being robbed or ...

A "decent" American city is one that is NOT like the New York City of today.

How in the hell to do you know. I would ride the subway in NYC or DC on any given day. I'm near DC now, and ride the metro often. I can get off at Foggy Bottom or Smithsonian or Connecticut and K any time I want to. I can walk up 23rd street and walk to Georgetown as far as my legs can carry me down M Street. Why do you have this fantasy that you will be robbed and killed? What is this about? I can be at Foggy Bottom or Dupont Circle in the snap of my fingers. Nothing is going on here, except for the orange whore disgracing Lafayette Park and St. John's.

I know because even the liberal media have to report the horrible crimes that are occurring in the Big Apple & D.C.

If you wish to deny it, that is your right. It is not my place to gainsay you. I believe in everyone keeping his/her place, so I always keep my place.

I congratulate you on your good luck walking the streets of NYC and taking the subway and walking the streets of NYC & D.C.

For my part, I try to warn as many international visitors as I can to take a taxi instead.

Have a nice (and safe) new week!

It is so bizarre to hear people write about places you know about and love and speak about them as places of evil. Why would they do this? You can go to Radio City, or walk to Georgetown on M Street. Why are these things bad to anyone in America?

The last time that American cities were "decent" was in the 1950s (when I was a teenager).

At that time, no one even thought of violent crime being an issue (except in perhaps a few small pockets of each city).

I remember taking a night course in college and then walking in the dark to my car afterwards. The thought that I could be mugged or murdered never even entered my mind, for the university was in a good section of the city where bad people rarely entered. And in those days, the police were not afraid to stop suspicious-looking people and ask for ID.

What is the standard for an American city to be judged "decent"? What is the standard for deciding that someone is a "suspicious-looking" person? I have very pale skin and blue eyes. Am I "suspicious looking"? I once walked across the border at San Ysidro, having spent a very depressing day in Tijuana. Nobody said a word. Was it the pale skin? The blue eyes?

A "decent" American city is one in which a good person can walk down the street without fear of being robbed or sucker punched or raped or murdered.

A "decent" American city is one in which a good person can take a bus or subway without being robbed or ...

A "decent" American city is one that is NOT like the New York City of today.

How in the hell to do you know. I would ride the subway in NYC or DC on any given day. I'm near DC now, and ride the metro often. I can get off at Foggy Bottom or Smithsonian or Connecticut and K any time I want to. I can walk up 23rd street and walk to Georgetown as far as my legs can carry me down M Street. Why do you have this fantasy that you will be robbed and killed? What is this about? I can be at Foggy Bottom or Dupont Circle in the snap of my fingers. Nothing is going on here, except for the orange whore disgracing Lafayette Park and St. John's.

I know because even the liberal media have to report the horrible crimes that are occurring in the Big Apple & D.C.

If you wish to deny it, that is your right. It is not my place to gainsay you. I believe in everyone keeping his/her place, so I always keep my place.

I congratulate you on your good luck walking the streets of NYC and taking the subway and walking the streets of NYC & D.C.

For my part, I try to warn as many international visitors as I can to take a taxi instead.

Have a nice (and safe) new week!
I have walked NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC many times and felt safe. I also use public transportation to get around.

But then again, I don’t walk through drug infested neighborhoods in the middle of the night.

How big is big enough and how do you judge decent? I would venture to say that if you stay out of Chicago and parts of L.A. and NYC these days and avoid the crazies that seem to have settled in the liberal northwest you might find the rest of the U.S. to be pretty decent.

Every city has its good spots and bad spots. Know the difference and stay out of the bad spots.

Back then the problem was the old school MS 13, w/Fedoras. Those greaseballs were all tied in to govt and the po-po. Fortunately they were no bother unless you had 100 grand or better

The right wing seems to have some obsession with cities. Tip: cities are places where a lot of people live. That's it. I grew up around NYC, and I've lived within shouting distance of DC forever. What is this about these places being bad? They are actually quite wonderful. How can a city be "decent" or "indecent"? Is this something that primitive natives do? I have to warn you that in both NY and DC, there is no place to park your pick-up. Take the metro.
The real shitholes are in rural America.

No infrastructure, no culture, no parks, nothing worth seeing.
rw thats not true and you know it.....small rural cities have infrastructure and parks and their own culture and things worth seeing.....

Back then the problem was the old school MS 13, w/Fedoras. Those greaseballs were all tied in to govt and the po-po. Fortunately they were no bother unless you had 100 grand or better
MS-13 was in the 50's?....

Forum List

Back